Just for Men Hair Color Question

I was just wondering if any of you use the "Just For Men" line of hair color. Someone mentioned to me that I might want to try it when I'm able to color my hair again, because it has no ammonia and doesn't need to be left on as long as the typical women's hair color. He also told me to try a shade lighter than I would ordinarily choose. I'm not in the target demographic for this product, but I have short hair and don't see why it couldn't work for me too.

Any thoughts or opinions would really be appreciated. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Tarasilk, Yes, I am a Just for men hair color user... icon_redface.gif LOL! I'm out now!

It is much more gentle than womens hair color.

It doesn't sting or smell like womens hair color either & the leave in time is only 5 minutes compared with womens that takes up to 4o minutes.

Hey guy's my wife is a hairstylist. oK.. icon_smile.gif

The only thing is it might get costly if you have a lot of hair.

Tisab, The reason I made that comment is because tarasilk is a female & even though she has some thinning, she probably still has a lot of hair to color unlike us guys.

Folica...some days I don't feel that way...but thanks!!! icon_smile.gif And I appreciate your opinion of the product...that's just what I needed to know.

Tisab...I'll probably still wear my hair short for the forseeable future (I'm only 11 days post HT now). But hey....if later on I end up having to buy TWO boxes in order to fully color my dense, thick hair on top, it won't bother me one bit!! icon_wink.gif

• Moderators

Yes. I use "Just for Men" hair color. I often wondered why women don't use it or why they make women's hair coloring products so much harder to use. The stuff is going to dye your hair wether you are male or female.

Side note: I've tried a few other products such as Grecian for Men and a few others I can't think of the names. Just for Men seems to work the best on me, so I currently only use that one.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks BeHappy! Yes, I have to wonder about that too. I know Just For Men contains less product than the typical women's hair color, but it seems like a much better formulation.

Revlon used to make a product called "High Dimension" which was a 10 minute color, but unlike Just For Men it did contain ammonia (I'm fairly sure). Anyway, it was discontinued, so that one isn't an option anyway.

Hi Tara-

I use Just For Men hair color and apply it about ever 6 weeks or usually just after cutting my hair. It works pretty good. My graying is mostly in the sideburns and sides of my head with a little in the top and mixed throughout. Definitely go a shade lighter when using. I have medium/dark brown hair.......used the medium brown and looked like Elvis icon_cool.gif. Just For Men is fairly cheap at around $6.50 at Walmart, I'd buy a couple and ease your way into it starting lighter and go darker if need be. Also, if you have gray hair, as JFM mentions apply it there first, leave that on for 1-2 minutes, then put the rest on. Then, at 5 minutes just step in the shower and wash your hair. Another thing, when they say leaving it in longer will darken the hair, IT WILL. I now use light brown and if I leave it in too long it's pretty dark.

One other thing...............I can't say for sure that JFM is as some of the other permanent hair colors because it says "targets gray hairs" so if someone used it to go from brown to blonde, for instance, it may not work. I don't know as I am just using it to get rid of gray and not change the color of natural hair.

As for Grecian Formula..........I don't care for it. I used it every day for almost two months.........it got rid of some gray but couldn't handle the most gray stuff in and around my sideburns and lower sides which remained gray.

Hope this helps,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank--

Thanks so much for your comments! I also have medium to dark brown hair, and only use haircolor to cover the grays...not looking to change my natural color or add highlights or anything like that. Just plain, boring brown works fine for me! icon_smile.gif

Cool Tara-

JFM should do the trick for you. Let me know how it works!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.