for those interested in the future.

giants

There is much speculation about the future of hair loss, Some say 2 years others say 20. I am not saying eather one but it does turn out that there are more things being worked on than i originally thought.

Take a look and feel free to research them

Max Planck Institute (Germany) - A topical gene therapy. Anticipated availability, 2007.

Glaxo Wellcom - A 5-alpha reductase type I and II inhibitor.

Dyad Pharmaceuticals - Developed from "antisense" technology. A topical 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.

Genta Inc. - A proprietary antisense "nucleotide" that blocks the androgen receptor.

Anti-Cancer Inc. - La Jolla, Ca. A topical treatment based on the deactivation of the baldness gene. Designed for daily use.

Roussell Uclaf - A topical antiandrogen. RU58841, developed by Dr. Sewaya. Currently on hold, its commercialization is expected to be pursued in the near future.

Dr. Holick - University of Mass. Developing parathyroid blocking compounds in order to turn cell division back on, and thus stimulate hair growth.

Zeneca Pharmaceuticals - Estrogen blocking compounds that have shown promise in animal models.

There is much speculation about the future of hair loss, Some say 2 years others say 20. I am not saying eather one but it does turn out that there are more things being worked on than i originally thought.

Take a look and feel free to research them

Max Planck Institute (Germany) - A topical gene therapy. Anticipated availability, 2007.

Glaxo Wellcom - A 5-alpha reductase type I and II inhibitor.

Dyad Pharmaceuticals - Developed from "antisense" technology. A topical 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.

Genta Inc. - A proprietary antisense "nucleotide" that blocks the androgen receptor.

Anti-Cancer Inc. - La Jolla, Ca. A topical treatment based on the deactivation of the baldness gene. Designed for daily use.

Roussell Uclaf - A topical antiandrogen. RU58841, developed by Dr. Sewaya. Currently on hold, its commercialization is expected to be pursued in the near future.

Dr. Holick - University of Mass. Developing parathyroid blocking compounds in order to turn cell division back on, and thus stimulate hair growth.

Zeneca Pharmaceuticals - Estrogen blocking compounds that have shown promise in animal models.

There are so many "possible future treatments" that it's hard to believe that NONE of them will pan out. Just the raw odds seem to indicate that there will be some decent progress on MPB in the next decade or two.

We're all just waiting to see which ones it will be and how well they'll ultimately work.

--------------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

in 2002 someone who was heavily involved in hair multiplication research said it would be 5 years out until it is tested and proven, and another 5 years to make it mainstream. that makes it around 2012. someone else said it could be sooner..

anyway, there is hope for us

Its only kind of a little sad that all this effort by top research scientist and companies is simply being driven by money; the desire to make billions. Hair loss has no discernible impact on health or physical quality of life. Its not cancer or aids. But they will work hard and dump money in to invest in those future billions. Oh well, we humans...what can we say.

Originally posted by HTinthefuture:

in 2002 someone who was heavily involved in hair multiplication research said it would be 5 years out until it is tested and proven, and another 5 years to make it mainstream. that makes it around 2012. someone else said it could be sooner..

anyway, there is hope for us

yeah, especially when billions of dollars are going to waste in cancer research....ala, the american cancer society. read the book 'cancer gate' it is a very well published book and an eye opener. big pharma does not want a cure for cancer, they make more money treating it than they would curing it. did you know pharma companies are consistently fighting to make common vitamins like vitamin C, available only by prescription? Vitamin D has been proven to fight cancer, big pharma would take it off the shelves if it were up to them. it is all about the $$$$ unfortunately. I am sure companies that produce propecia and rogain are in a similar boat, what incentive would they actually have to cure baldness. taking a pill that 'stops' your hair from falling out, but continues to do so when you stop the pill makes more sense to them.