Study Shows 1/5 propecia works as well

I was just checking out wikipedia's article on 'baldness treatment' and i found this interesting tidbit.

The UC Berkeley Wellness Letter in March 2003 states they don't recommend Propecia "because its long-term safety is unknown. This is disquieting, since young men are the prime candidates, and the drug has to be taken for a lifetime. If you do decide to take it, you should know that although the standard dose is one milligram, there is some evidence that one-fifth that amount also works. If you cut the pill into quarters, you will save money."

What do you guys think about that? I know the idea of having some kind of crazy sexual side effect 20-30 years from now doesn't sound too good to me. Anyone have any informed opinions on whether 1/5 does the same job?

I was just checking out wikipedia's article on 'baldness treatment' and i found this interesting tidbit.

The UC Berkeley Wellness Letter in March 2003 states they don't recommend Propecia "because its long-term safety is unknown. This is disquieting, since young men are the prime candidates, and the drug has to be taken for a lifetime. If you do decide to take it, you should know that although the standard dose is one milligram, there is some evidence that one-fifth that amount also works. If you cut the pill into quarters, you will save money."

What do you guys think about that? I know the idea of having some kind of crazy sexual side effect 20-30 years from now doesn't sound too good to me. Anyone have any informed opinions on whether 1/5 does the same job?

Jackisback,

I'd like to know what the evidence is that smaller doses of Propecia are effective. Have you seen a published scientific study that indicates such? Please give us the name of this study and where it is published! All the studies that I am aware of looked at the recommended 1 mg/day dose. There are anecdotal reports of effectiveness at lower doses (i.e. 1 mg every other day) but these I believe are all anecdotal, and have no basis on any actual scientific study. Until I see an actual study to indicate taking less is truly effective, I will continue to take the Propecia at 1 mg/day. I'm not going to compromise my results on the basis of anecdotal evidence. I've been fortunate not to have encountered any side effects.

If anyone can show me a credible study, I will re-consider taking less than the recommended does. Thanks

Doc-- you pose an interesting question. I think the HT industry is based around Propecia and Avodart, and the thought that either of these remedies have long lasting side effects is a thought too awful to consider. I know that potential liver damage exists any time your body is forced to metabolize medicine for any length of time, so questions do exist. It is possible that a pharmaceutical giant like Merck will not fund a study that shows a lower daily dose is effective, simply from a profit standpoint. For a person with my level of baldness the point is moot since I am not using propecia to "keep what I have". I look forward to other's thoughts on this as well.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by the B spot:

I think the HT industry is based around Propecia and Avodart, and the thought that either of these remedies have long lasting side effects is a thought too awful to consider. I know that potential liver damage exists any time your body is forced to metabolize medicine for any length of time, so questions do exist.

I do not have opinions based on a reduced regimen at 1/5 of the recommended 1 mg/day for Propecia. Maybe others will??

A few years before my first HT, I started on Propecia. I think I took it for around 2-3 months, so probably not enough to tell a difference one way or the other. The reason I decided to stop..........see the quote from B spot above. It was not because of any short-term side effect from use.

Since having one HT and now planning on a second, I am considering Propecia again. At this point, I'm on the fence and don't know which side I'll land. I'm 39 and, though I still most likely have some hair to lose, my plan is for the HT to give me the "permanent" hair I'm looking for without depending on any of the little traitors that decide to jump ship down the road!!

Would I want to keep them (the little traitor guys susceptible to MPB) given a choice? Yes. Can I achieve the look I'm going for without them......I think so based on my donor hair available. Am I counting on them in the future? No.

I guess you just have to weigh out its importance versus your tolerance to possible effects down the road from taking the pill! I've not been concerned with the short term effects (the most common mentioned is lack of sex drive) because I could just stop taking it if they are experienced.

Jackisback.........I don't think there's a concern for a "crazy sexual side effect" 20-30 years from now. The long term concern I'm aware of is possible liver damage as mentioned by B spot.

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.