Rogaine and severe hair loss

Matsuri

Merry Christmas and all my heartfelt wishes for everyone of us the next year to find a cure for us and see our hair growing back more and more..o.k..to the point now wanting your help.

I had been using Rogaine for 2-3 months...stopped it -my fault - and after around 5 months started to use it again in solution - Rogaine 55 60 ml with 0.005 Tretinoin and 50 ml Flogorynel ( an anti irritant if my spell is correct from the prescription )

The drama of the case is that from the moment I started using it I suffer a severe hair loss..i have lost what I almost lost in a 6 months period in around 3 weeks ! I consulted my dermatologist again and he told me that simple Rogaine hasnt being effective yet...but believe me..from the moment I use it - while in the past I didnt have a problem using Rogaine - everything goes wrong so fast ! I even tried to apply a simple cosmetic Amonixil hair style product and I felt my scalp burning...Has anyone any similar situation ? Is it normal to loose so many hair every day at shampooing and combing my hair ? - and just loosing them by no activity - Shall i stop it and consult another dermatologist - I guess I must do it but simple noone is available around Christmas time. Would I suffer even more if I stop Rogaine until I see a doctor ? And maybe I could get back the hair I am loosing now if its because of an allergic reaction to any ingredient or the hair loss I suffer now is permament ? If anyone has an idea please say a word...Thank you in advance and again all my wishes for the new year to us all

P.S. never used Propecia before...

Merry Christmas and all my heartfelt wishes for everyone of us the next year to find a cure for us and see our hair growing back more and more..o.k..to the point now wanting your help.

I had been using Rogaine for 2-3 months...stopped it -my fault - and after around 5 months started to use it again in solution - Rogaine 55 60 ml with 0.005 Tretinoin and 50 ml Flogorynel ( an anti irritant if my spell is correct from the prescription )

The drama of the case is that from the moment I started using it I suffer a severe hair loss..i have lost what I almost lost in a 6 months period in around 3 weeks ! I consulted my dermatologist again and he told me that simple Rogaine hasnt being effective yet...but believe me..from the moment I use it - while in the past I didnt have a problem using Rogaine - everything goes wrong so fast ! I even tried to apply a simple cosmetic Amonixil hair style product and I felt my scalp burning...Has anyone any similar situation ? Is it normal to loose so many hair every day at shampooing and combing my hair ? - and just loosing them by no activity - Shall i stop it and consult another dermatologist - I guess I must do it but simple noone is available around Christmas time. Would I suffer even more if I stop Rogaine until I see a doctor ? And maybe I could get back the hair I am loosing now if its because of an allergic reaction to any ingredient or the hair loss I suffer now is permament ? If anyone has an idea please say a word...Thank you in advance and again all my wishes for the new year to us all

P.S. never used Propecia before...

Matsuri a couple things...

1. Many people expirence a sheeding stage from rogaine(or propecia). This is completly normail. Rogaines job is to shed weak and thin hairs, and grow them strongher and thicker. This shedding stage usually lasts 4-6 weeks but can take longer. During this time people can lose more hair then ever before.

2. you need to give rogaine year before you can really make a judgement on whether or not its working. These products take time.

3. I did have a simliar situation to yours. I was on the foam for over a year and decited to switch to the rogaine liquid. It killed my hairline so i switched back. Thses things can happen, id give the rogaine time.

4. Consider using propecia. Rogaine is most effective when used in conjunction with propecia.

feel free to ask any more questions

Take care bud.

To varying degrees, when people start up rogaine (or many treatments for that matter) they often go through a "shed", which is actually a sign of impending progress and that you are responding to the treatment. It is brutal to go through a bad shed, but stick with it. There is also just regular hair shedding, and regular hair loss which you may be experiencing at the same time.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Matsuri,

Welcome to our forum community and Merry Christmas to you too!

Giants and thanatopsis have given you some excellent advice.

In my opinion, give Rogaine at least 6 months before making an evaluation. The initial hair shedding appears awful but won't last long. It can also be a sign of the medication working. Rogaine will not faciltate hair loss.

As giants suggested, combining Rogaine with Propecia (finasteride) gives you the greatest chance at combating hair loss and restoring your hair. Propecia should be used for at least a year to determine whether or not it is working for you.

Best wishes for restoring your hair!

Bill

Thank you guys so much...you gave me a hope and strength to carry on...yes..it seems I am experiencing a really brutal situation but I will go on...hoping it will last much longer...thank you for your kindness...and yes I will consider Propecia of course...or maybe dutasteride ? again many thanks and Happy New Year to everyone

i believe that the common consensus is to go with finestaride first, as the side effects of dutasteride are stronger, and more likely to occur.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Matsuri,

Mike is correct. In my opinion, it is best to try Propecia first as it is FDA approved for hair loss while dudasteride is not. Dudasteride is more potent which may prove to be a more effective treatment for hair loss (but has not been officially proven), but side effects may also be more severe.

Bill

I wish I could use propecia. My dermatologist told me that women can't use anything but Rogaine. Rogaine did not work for me. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Bill - Moderator:

Matsuri,

Welcome to our forum community and Merry Christmas to you too!

Giants and thanatopsis have given you some excellent advice.

In my opinion, give Rogaine at least 6 months before making an evaluation. The initial hair shedding appears awful but won't last long. It can also be a sign of the medication working. Rogaine will not faciltate hair loss.

As giants suggested, combining Rogaine with Propecia (finasteride) gives you the greatest chance at combating hair loss and restoring your hair. Propecia should be used for at least a year to determine whether or not it is working for you.

Best wishes for restoring your hair!

Bill

Magnolia,

How long did you try Rogaine? You are correct. Propecia is not to be used by women because it can cause birth defects in children. I have seen however, some hair restoration physicians prescribe Propecia to certain women who never intend to have children. Do NOT take this as a recommendation. I am only stating this because I have seen it.

What is your pattern of hair loss? If the hair in the sides and back of your head are not being affected, hair transplantation MIGHT be a possible solution for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

I actually used Rogaine for 3 years!

I didn't know that this is the reason that propecia is not prescribed to women. I plan on getting my tubes tied in April after I have my baby. My dermatologist kinda annoyed me. I wish he would have told me that it could be an option if I don't have anymore children.

He was just really not that encouraging LOL. he has severe hair loss himself so he made me feel more hopeless LOL. I though that if something worked, he would surely be using it considering he is a dermatologist. He basically told me to accept it and that I should look into a hair transplant.

How much do those cost? It looks scary and painful from what I've seen on pictures LOL.

Originally posted by Bill - Moderator:

Magnolia,

How long did you try Rogaine? You are correct. Propecia is not to be used by women because it can cause birth defects in children. I have seen however, some hair restoration physicians prescribe Propecia to certain women who never intend to have children. Do NOT take this as a recommendation. I am only stating this because I have seen it.

What is your pattern of hair loss? If the hair in the sides and back of your head are not being affected, hair transplantation MIGHT be a possible solution for you.

Best wishes,

Bill