Silly Question? One about recipient grafts sprouting...

I am 5 weeks post HT (2600 grafts, frontal third).

I have already seen alot of growth in areas that didnt have hair. This is either grafts that just didnt shed (just decided to grow instead) or new growth from the minox I am using twice a day post op.

But that has nothing really to do with my question. My question is about this...I am already seeing new sprouts from grafted hair that shed. I see new ones everyday as they are popping up all around.

Which made me wonder...if the grafts are placed in the scalp the same day, the scabs fall off with 48 hours of each other, the grafts fall out within 5-7 days of each other (my experience), then why would new growth be so sporadic?

Why do the transplanted hairs grow back so randomly? I mean, from what I read, new hair starts to grow over a period of several months, some hairs soon, some hairs months later.

It seems a bit odd.

I mean, I am certainly happy that I am getting alot of early growth, but I am wondering why hairs dont regrow in a more organized fashion.

Cheers

windjc,

If your question is why transplanted hair growth is sporadic and starts at different times, there's no real solid answer to this.

Minoxidil may be stimulating new growth or quite possibly, transplanted hair that didn't shed may still be growing. It would be unusual at this stage for transplanted hairs that shed to be regrowing already, but I'm not going to say it's impossible.

The hair growth cycle and extended resting period of transplanted hair post surgery is a bit of a mystery. Thus, why it starts to grow at different times is also a bit of a mystery (other than that hairs are in various stages of the hair growth cycle when they are excised).

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the reply. The various growth cycle idea is an interesting hypothesis.

As for my hair growth its been a bit confusing, but I have seen 3 different things. I have seen hair grafts shed and then new hairs sprout in the same follicle. I have seen some grafts not shed and just grow as though nothing happened. And I think I have seen old hairs grow back from the minox.

I say "I think" because right now I have a fair bit of hair that is approximately 1/2 inch (1 month of growth) where I didn't have hair before. But the hair is miniturized, unlike the thicker sprouts that I see growing. So I guess it could be grafts that didn't shed, but I doubt it because most of the grafts shed in the area where the hair is now grown out.

Anyway, its way too early to talk about, it should all work itself out in a few months, and I'll have the advantage of 20/20 hindsight.

Thanks again for your input.

I'm two months post op and I see a similar sort of pattern:

1) A few grafts that just grew straight away. These are pretty thick and noticeable.

2) Grafts that neither shed nor grew. These are like little bits of stubble. The hairs are thick but not going anywhere.

3) Thin hairs that can only be seen at close inspection. These are either miniaturised native hair that has been kicked into life by minox or could be new graft growth.

From what I've read, new grafts tend to grow in very thin at first so it is a bit hard to tell whether they are really growing or not. I also need more time to decide icon_smile.gif