A few q's

Baldenstein,

Welcome to our community.

Chances are, if you are still a student (I'm guessing you are of a younger age) you are most likely not a good hair transplant candidate, especially if you have minimal hair loss.

Age and level of hair loss are strong considerations for hair transplant candidacy

I recommend reading the following threads:

Am I Too Young for a Hair Transplant?

What Should I Consider When Researching Hair Transplantation?

I recommend consulting with a quality hair restoration physician that will prepare the best long term hair restoration action plan for you.

To answer your other question however about time needed off from work and no "sign of an HT", I recommend reading the following thread:

When will I look normal after a hair transplant?

Best wishes,

Bill

The big visible donor-scar is not present with a FUE procedure. That helps shorten the recovery time when you're looking the worst.

However, there is still the lingering redness while things heal up (in both the donor and recipient areas), and there is the several-month wait for the transplanted hairs to begin growing again. These things are issues with FUE just as much as with strip HTs.

With either method, the FINAL & best appearance of the transplanted hair isn't gonna be showing up for at least a year. Hair transplants are a long process.

------------------------------------------------

The big visible donor-scar is not present with a FUE procedure

Calvinmd,

We ought to be careful when making such a statement.

FUE scarring can be just as visible as FUT scarring - it's just different. Though admittedly, FUE scarring is more attractive to many.

In the best hands, FUT will leave a long thin linear scar going from ear to ear that can be camoflauged pretty well with the new trichophytic scar as hair can grow through it. It is true however, that shaving the head will reveal a scar.

In the best hands, FUE will leave little white dots where hair follicles once were that typically aren't seen even with very short cuts dependent upon instrumentation and grafts extracted. Using minimally invasive extraction instruments to extract a lower number of grafts will leave less visible scarring since the grafts will be taken from various areas. The larger the instrument and the more grafts that are taken the greater risk of visible scarring. Taking too many grafts, FUE scarring could leave a "moth eaten" look. Using larger instrumentation and taking too many grafts could leave more obvious scarring even still.

Best wishes,

Bill

In the hands of a skilled physician, scarring can be minimal using both methods of surgery.