proscar splitting

Hehe... mine is MADE IN USA by Apex Medical Corp. Paid $7 for it online but well worth it, very clean cuts. BUY AMERICAN!!!

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

It's hard to cut a five-sided shape into four pieces... probably even harder to cut five pieces! It's never going to come out perfectly even, but it probably doesn't matter. What you are concerned with is a "total" weekly or monthly dose, because it does stay in your system for a couple of weeks. So small fluctuations theoretically shouldn't matter (same for timing of your dose).

Somebody had a diagram online about a way to cut a Proscar into 5 pieces, I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe someone with a head for geometry can figure it out here.

Get the kind of pill splitter that is a little box with a lid. Stuck into the lid is a razor blade, the box has a guide which holds the pill in place and you close the lid which cuts the tablet. By experimenting with the speed and amount of gentle force you use, you can get a pretty good (but not perfect) cut. You don't slam it shut, but be firm and decisive.

I think you can replace the razor blade from time to time, at least I hope so.

You can also do the same thing with a razor blade but unless you are a jeweler or higly skilled I bet the box is more accurate, plus the box stores the remaining pieces for later.

Hi DanielTaylor2,

The only thing about cutting the small tablet "free-hand" is the risk of cutting yourself with the blade. Alot of pharmacies sell the pill cutters and you do want one that has the "v" guide that the pill slides in to. That's the type I use and I have been cuting Proscar for many years now. Actually with practice you will find it easier and before you know it, you will master it.

It's true that finasteride has a long shelf-life so the minor irregularities in the pieces won't matter, and if one of the pieces come out bigger, skip a day. You can also put a note or checkmark on your calendar as to which days you are skipping, so it does not get confusing. Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY