Returning to work this Friday (Day 7 Post-Op)

After completing my hair transplant last Friday, I have one week to recover at home and figure out how to conceal the staples and grafts. The problem facing me is that I comb my hair from the back of my head over my bald spot and on the upper side across the receding hairline area. Despite the description, it doesn't look too abnormal. However, the hair is somewhat thin, frizzy, and unmanageable and I won't be able to keep it together without my usual shampoo and hairspray.

Does anyone think that I can use my usual shampoo (Nioxin Cleanser & Scalp Therapy) and apply a light layer of hairspray, exactly one week after the procedure? Can I get away with this and lay off the ointment for just eight hours to obtain my usual appearance before the weekend?

Thanks!

After completing my hair transplant last Friday, I have one week to recover at home and figure out how to conceal the staples and grafts. The problem facing me is that I comb my hair from the back of my head over my bald spot and on the upper side across the receding hairline area. Despite the description, it doesn't look too abnormal. However, the hair is somewhat thin, frizzy, and unmanageable and I won't be able to keep it together without my usual shampoo and hairspray.

Does anyone think that I can use my usual shampoo (Nioxin Cleanser & Scalp Therapy) and apply a light layer of hairspray, exactly one week after the procedure? Can I get away with this and lay off the ointment for just eight hours to obtain my usual appearance before the weekend?

Thanks!

Gossamer,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting.

Congratulations on your hair transplant. I hope you'll take the time to share your experience with us and post some pictures. You can do that by going to "New" and then selecting "photo album", or you can create a "weblog".

To answer your question, at about 1 week post op, your grafts are pretty well secured and can do just about anything...however, a few personal recommendations:

1. I wouldn't use Nizoral yet because it can irritate the scalp and dry out the hair. Because the scalp is already irritated from the surgery, using Nizoral too soon could cause irritation. BUT, that doesn't mean you can't use it. I would just suggest very minimal use, and if you can avoid it, wait a month or two.

(Addition: I just realized you said Nioxin, not Nizoral...so I'll add that here: Nioxin is less of a scalp irritant, but personally, I'd wait until the one week point before using it - or even until after the scabs are gone). I did, however, use Nioxin Scalp Therapy Conditioner on the donor area since the cooling effect helped soothe the itch.

2. You can style your hair how you like and use basically whatever product you want by the 1 week point, but be careful NOT to comb the grafts directly until at least 7, preferably 10 days. Even though the grafts are pretty well secured by 4 or 5 days, some have dislodged a graft with the scab by being too vigorous on their scalp.

3. What "ointment" did you want to lay off for 8 hours? Some clinics provide an "ointment" of sorts to put on the donor area to assist with healing. I see no problem with laying off any special products considering many top clinics don't provide any special products to aid with healing.

Feel free to ask any more questions and we'll do our best to help.

Bill

Bill, thanks for your response. As for the ointment, Dr. Bernstein's office provided me with a Bacitracin Zinc Ointment that may be applied lightly after showering or if the donor scar feels like it is drying out. Unless anyone expresses serious concerns or reservations, I may decrease the frequency or stop my usage since the hair around there now feels a little greasy.

So far my experience has been great. The procedure and recovery have gone smoothly with virtually no pain, discomfort, or swelling. The only concern that I have right now is anxiety over how I will be able to style my hair this Friday (the one week mark) and next week. While I am still quite nervous, your comments regarding the shampoo, hair spray, and ointment have reassured me that I can do some things without harming the grafts and donor scar.

When I have some more time, I plan on describing my own experience and future plans in more detail. I feel like its the least I can do, since I have been reading these boards for a few months and gained some really valuable insight and peace of mind prior to the procedure.

Hello,

I need some advice from anyone with experience in choosing a surgeon. I am supposed to go to Bosley tomorrow morning, to have 2000 graphs placed in my head and after stumbling unto this sight with just 8 hours to go I have decided not to have the procedure done.

It seams that this forum is split 50/50 between good experiences and bad.

How do I go about making sure I select the right guy/girl for the job?

And does anyone have any recommendations on HT surgeons in the Chicagoland area?

.....thank you very much for all of your help, you just saved me $12k and a lifetime of regret.

- Carter

Carter,

See responses to your questions here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154997

Gossamer,

It is always best to follow the post op procedures of your doctor, but admittedly, every doctor has slightly different instructions. There should be no harm temporarily stopping use of the ointment while you are trying to create a cosmetically pleasing appearance for a day icon_wink.gif

If you are willing to share your experience and/or photos, we'd be honored if you do so.

Bill

I was scheduled to go back to work one week after (had mine done on a Thursday) but decided to take a couple extra days and then have the weekend before I went back. Glad I did as it looked much better 11 days in versus 7.

Did your doc not give you shampoo and conditioner with your post op instructions? I am still using my original supply of GraftCyte - shampoo only until the sutures were out and now conditioner. Once it is finished, my doc gave me a large bottle of Resultz. Both contain a Copper Peptide. Also, you might look at getting some Toppik and apply this lightly over the area. Combing it in has seemed to thicken up my hair and conceal the obvious-to-me new hairline.

I would avoid hairspray for some time unless you can find one that doesn't weigh down the hair which might augment your existing hair shed. I am about three and a half weeks out and have had some shed so be prepared. Nothing major and you will probably notice it more than anyone else but just be prepared.

Andrew,

I really wish that I could take one more day to take advantage of the weekend, but my vacation days are extremely limited. I'm hoping that I can get into the office early, keep myself preoccupied with work that I missed, and avoid people as much as possible.

As for the post op instructions, it says to resume my normal shampoo after the first week or when the GraftCyte shampoo runs out. My doctor did not seem to have any reservations regarding the shampoo or hairspray, but I'm still hesitant about the Nioxin regiment (Cleanser, Scalp Therapy, & Scalp Treatment/Cytogen) for fear of compromising the healing process. When it comes to the transplanted area, perhaps I can apply it just to the ends of the longer existing hair.

As for the Toppik, I was given some by one of the doctors I visited, but have not really experimented with it. Is it best to apply to the bald spot and comb the hair over or sprinkle after the hair has been combed over? How much would you apply and is it okay with hairspray?

Thanks!

Gossamer, are you sure you can go back to work one week post-op without your HT showing? i mean, from all i have heard and read, you need at least a month(maybe, even two) if you want to

conceal your HT "completely". i could be wrong. i think it depends on your exisiting hair, how much you are having transplanted, and where. Anyway, would love to see some pre-op, and one week pics, and see how you manage to pull it off.

Thanks

Paris

The Toppik worked really well, mixed in with the hair on the top of my head! I was extremely relieved that neither the scar nor the grafts have been visible to anyone. Thanks to everyone for the advice!