Question on scar repair

i have a few scars on the back on my head from 2 transplant sessions i had about 15yrs ago. i'm 36 now. i shave my head so the scars are visible. ive read that transplant can be put back into the scars. im just not sure thats what i want to do. i recently visited a plastic surgeon. he told me he could cut the scars and close them up like that. he said that there would be a line visible where the scar is closed but it would be a very fine line. i just wanted to get some opinions on this option.

thanks

1.jpg.ca6d3229beea18d36c9e26a2aa66ba5a.jpg

cc924,

Welcome to the community.

Firstly...

Just wondering...what does your hair look like grown out? Though multiple scars isn't a good thing and clearly an outdated technique, the width of the scars don't look bad from the pictures.

But...

It really depends on your goals and what a surgeon recommends.

If you are only concerned about scar repair and do NOT want another transplant, you can consider FUE into the existing scar. Keep in mind this will NOT make the scar go away, only add hair to it so if you grow your hair out, the scars will be less noticable.

You could consider another STRIP surgery to at least minimize the appearance the lower scars with the trichophytic scar (not the higher one) and get a transplant and use some of the hairs in the upper scar. Some of this, however, depends upon laxity.

Bill

thanks for the reply.

i havent grown my hair out in a very long time.

i like to keep my head shaved as it is in pic 1. i usually dont even let it grow out as much as i have it in pic 2.

my main goal is just to have my scars less visible with my head shaved.

from what the surgeon told me he would make a cut into the scars and close them up back up. he said the line of the scar would still be there but it would be a fine line. he did also say that there is alwasy a chance the the scar could widen again over time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey cc924, so what are you going to do? I only ask because I am in the same situation you are in with 2 HT strip scars. I just want to shave my head with a 1 guard but can't because of my 2 scars would be visible. My scars are visible when I cut my hair with a 2 guard! I just want to move on with my life.

Like you I went and saw a well known plastic surgeon in my area and he basically turned me away. He said he couldn't make my scars look any better. Then I went saw one of the coalition doctors on this web site he basically turned me away also. He told me he couldn't make to scars look better either and to get back on propecia and start using rogain foam. I read on this forum that Dr. Feller is good at fixing old HT scars with the fue procedure so I'm going meet with him as soon as I can.