FOR THE DOCTORS ??

I am having some work done on the hairline (about

1000 grafts) in 10 days. The dilemna I have is

that I have a 3 day golf tournament (there is alot of money to be won) starting 2 days after my surgery. I have been through 4 HT's so I'm very familiar with post op procedures etc but I've always taken it easy afterwards. Would the

grafts be secure at 48 hours .

Thanks , Greg D.

P.S. By the way if you guys want to play golf for some real cash check out www.worldgolfleague.com .

I am having some work done on the hairline (about

1000 grafts) in 10 days. The dilemna I have is

that I have a 3 day golf tournament (there is alot of money to be won) starting 2 days after my surgery. I have been through 4 HT's so I'm very familiar with post op procedures etc but I've always taken it easy afterwards. Would the

grafts be secure at 48 hours .

Thanks , Greg D.

P.S. By the way if you guys want to play golf for some real cash check out www.worldgolfleague.com .

My policy regarding activity after a hair transplant procedure is to have the patients not perform any vigorous athletic activity, such as running or lifting weights, for five days after surgery. For patients asking about golf, I tell them that I don't consider it an athletic activity. Enjoyable, but not athletic. I let them golf right away.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Sorry Dr. Beehner, I do not agree with you about golf not being a physical activity. Hitting on the driving range, walking 18 holes and swinging a driver is certainly a physical activity. Especially in the summer where temperatures rise to uncomfortable levels.

Why risk any negative occurances with irritation or infection after the surgery. Isn't it better to opt on the side of caution rather than chance?

I agree with Dr. Beehner.

I don't see a problem with a patient golfing after 48 hours. By then the grafts are well scabbed in and secured.

I've even let my patients go swimming in the ocean by the third day for years and never had a problem.

GD, the only concern I have for you is that you may increase the amount of swelling around your eyes because you necessarily have to look down to address the ball. If you are willing to deal with this, then good luck in your tournament.

Dr. Feller

Totally funny,

Outside of the post-op hair issue talked about here.

Re: Golf

Golfers feels golf is a vigorous active sport

Non-golfers, consider it a hobby not worthy of TV coverage.

Sorry to take up value space, but the Golf issue rages on !!.

I will re-quote Arfy here

God help us !!!

NW

I should probably add that I certainly was not recommending that someone go from my office to the golf course, and I was also assuming he would be using a golf cart and that the temperature was moderate and comfortable.

I think it's a great game also. It just doesn't do anything for your cardiopulmonary system, and if you're lousy at the game like I am, it can make you want to sometimes tear your hair out.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

"I've even let my patients go swimming in the ocean by the third day for years and never had a problem."

I am puzzled at your comment about swimming after 3 days post op. I thought gentle shampooing and rinsing after several days post op was OK. However, swimming in the ocean after three days would seem to soften the scabs. People will also shampoo and rince after swimming to further soften the scabs. Some doctors have told me to nothing for a week after surgery including shampooing. It seems that every doctor has a different set of values concerning this?

Yes Monty, welcome to the world of surgery where there are as many valid viewpoints as there are opinions.

My patients shampoo their grafts the very next day. Going into the ocean WILL soften the scabs, and this is exactly what you want. The act of swimming is not going to hurt the grafts. Also, the normal increase in BP due to exercise will not affect the grafts either.

Understand that a scab in a hair transplant is NOT completely the same as one you might get after a simple cut. Most of a HT scab is comprised of the very tip of the graft that sticks out of the scalp, not just healing skin. The goal is to have this bit fall off so that the skin may re-incorporate the graft in a mannor that is flush to the skin.

I suspect the very few doctors who insist on a week before shampooing are either still using bulkier minigrafts, or have changed to FUs but never revised their postop instructions.

Dr. Feller

• 8 years later...

I've even let my patients go swimming in the ocean by the third day for years and never had a problem.

……

Going into the ocean WILL soften the scabs, and this is exactly what you want. The act of swimming is not going to hurt the grafts.

Sorry to be digging up old threads, but I was looking back at something and came across this. Is what Dr. Feller is saying there - that it's okay to go swimming in the ocean 3 days after a HT - still acceptable protocol?

Edited by TomCruise