Did I make a mistake - bought Finpecia instead of Propecia

Hello Family,

I had a surgery from Bosley last September. Went well, so far. I was taking Propecia that I bought from them. It has worked for me very weell. About 1 month ago I finished all of it and... I decided to buy this medicine on my own for cheaper price, ha ha.

However, I made a mistake, I guess. Today I received Finpecia (Generic Propecia?„?) in blister strips of 10 tablets. It does not look like Propecia from Bosley.

Is it complitelly different medicine and I made a mistake? What should I do? Start taking it or go to Bosley and buy real Propecia and get rif of these ones?

Sorry, if my questions sound stupid.

Alec.

Hello Family,

I had a surgery from Bosley last September. Went well, so far. I was taking Propecia that I bought from them. It has worked for me very weell. About 1 month ago I finished all of it and... I decided to buy this medicine on my own for cheaper price, ha ha.

However, I made a mistake, I guess. Today I received Finpecia (Generic Propecia?„?) in blister strips of 10 tablets. It does not look like Propecia from Bosley.

Is it complitelly different medicine and I made a mistake? What should I do? Start taking it or go to Bosley and buy real Propecia and get rif of these ones?

Sorry, if my questions sound stupid.

Alec.

Alec, Finpecia is still finesteride, same drug & dosage as Propecia.

It is made in India, they are able to get around the US patent laws & produce generic drugs much cheaper.

I cannot attest to the quality of these generic

drugs.

I'm sure it would be safe & effective to take it.

Its the same drug.

Keep reading i'm sure some other members who use it will chime in soon1

They do not have the same restrictions and the amount of the actual medication vs fillers can be very different.

We have had several people try it with negative results. Everyone reported loss on this.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Alec,

As you may be aware, generic Propecia is not available in the US, so you must be getting these generic medications online?

I have strong reservations about online pharmacies. I simply do not trust them.

IMO...

If you are looking for a way to save money, get a prescription for Proscar (5mg tablets of finasteride as opposed to 1mg tablets of finasteride in Propecia). There IS a generic for Proscar that is available in the US and regulated the same way. That will save you some more money.

All you will need is a pill splitter to cut the pill into quarters.

I recommend also reading the following blog article.

Bill

Go to your general practitioner or preferrably a dermatologist, explain you are using propecia and would like a presciption for generic Proscar. It costs me $60 for a four month supply vs $77 for one month of Propecia. Like Bill said you just need a pill cutter (sold at a pharmacy or grocery store) and take a quarter a day.

Good luck!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Finpecia worked great for me. I started on finpecia about 2 months ago and I have never taken propecia before that. Previously when I had to apply minoxidil on my head, there will be a big amount of hair on my hands after rubbing on the minoxidil(at least 20-30 strands) About 2 weeks after I started finpecia, the shedding stopped, and I only get 1 or 2 strands after rubbing. Therefore I believed finpecia worked for me. I dont know how consistent the quality of finpecia will be but I dont see how much better using genuine propecia can get for my case.