Hair Transplant Costs

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have decided to go ahead with a transplant and I am currently working my way through the list of doctors listed on the ISHRS website for recommendations and prices. My hair loss is between 2 and 3 on the norwood scale and I need work done to my hairline and temporal area. The general recommendation seems to be around 2000-2500 grafts. The prices being quotes seem very high and on my last quote, I nearlly fell off my chair! What sort of prices should I expect to pay for 2000-2500 grafts. Please email if you rather be private and not post on the forum.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I have decided to go ahead with a transplant and I am currently working my way through the list of doctors listed on the ISHRS website for recommendations and prices. My hair loss is between 2 and 3 on the norwood scale and I need work done to my hairline and temporal area. The general recommendation seems to be around 2000-2500 grafts. The prices being quotes seem very high and on my last quote, I nearlly fell off my chair! What sort of prices should I expect to pay for 2000-2500 grafts. Please email if you rather be private and not post on the forum.

Thanks

Larasa,

Welcome to our community!

Making the decision to have hair transplant surgery should always be taken with extreme consideration for all the variables.

I recommend reading the following thread here.

2500 grafts on a NW 2 or 3 sounds about right since one can typically take their NW level and multiply it by 1000 to 1500 (depending on hair characteristics and desired density) in order to determine how many grafts they need.

Typical costs ranges from $4 to $5 per FU graft. many clinics discount after the first 2000 grafts.

Which doctors are you considering?

I hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks very much for your input guys! Its been very helpfull. From whats been suggested, it looks as if the quotes I have received so far are reasonable. They vary between $8000-$10000 for the 2000-2500 grafts. I guess the figure I had in my head was way off!

The next step is who to go with. Initially I was very inclined to go with either Dr.Feller or Dr.Epstein as they constantly seem to deliver good results from what ive seen. However, After reading through the forums, Im pretty lost as many names are coming up very often such as Dr.True and Dr.Shapiro

So, I have decided to go through the list of Listed doctors/ members of the IAHRS (NOT THE ISHRS, AS PREVIOUSLY POSTED) and see what they recommend. I am UK based and I am travelling to the U.S for the procedure, so im def doing my homework on this...

Larasa,

Just remember that any membership in the IAHRS does not necessarily speak of the doctors abilities. I don't want to give you a list of docs(for fear of leaving some out) but do research all of the doctors in the Coalition. A lot will depend on your particular needs. Have you posted any photos for us to evaluate. I know you state that you are a 2-3 on the Norwood scale, but sometimes we see ourselves differently than others. Certain doctors are better at certain things and it would help us if we saw some photos and knew what kind of work you were in need of. Sounds like you are needing someone to concentrate on a refined hairline. Provide the photos and we could then give you a little better direction as to where you might want to focus. Take care.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

AS I was told over and over again, do not let distance or price play a factor in which Dr. you choose. I was in the same boat as you, I was torn between a couple of different dr.s. I went with the Dr. that coincedentally was nearest to me, (1 hour drive) but that was not the reason for choosing him.

The Dr. I went with was Dr. Raymond Konior.

There were a few key reasons that I choose him,

1. He is a plastic surgeon, NOT an ER dr. which I thought gave him an advantage over other dr. I do beleive that is what some Dr.'s on here are. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. He made me feel comfortable in the face to face consultation and didnt try to inflate my ego by telling me we can do this and that, making me think I would have the head of hair when I was 18 yrs old.

3. He truly does not leave your side during the whole time during surgury, that gives a great bit of confidence that everything being done is under the watchfull eye of the Dr. you are paying. He placed MOST of the graphs, as opposed to an assistant placing them. Yes, he had some help. but he was right there the whole time. That in its self is priceless.

4.I cannot comment on other Dr.'s staffs. but they went avove and beyond to make sure that I was as comfortable as possible. I had an extraordinarily amount of pain, but that was due to ME not the DR. I have some wierd disposition to Valuim and anishetic they could not knock me out. I was ok with being awake, but still odd.

So if you want a straight shooter the doesnt BS around, means noting but business at cruch time. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Konior. His staff is just as top notch as he is.

Good luck in your quest.

We were all there at some point.

OH....one other point to note. Depending on whre you are trying to be with your loook, you should consider future procedures in your total amount, if you think you may need more than one prosedure done. Which after looking around I see more and more are having. Maybe not your case, but somethng to certaily consider.

3147 ish) grafts Dr. Konior

No meds.

Larasa,

NervousNelly is correct.

All it takes to be a member of the IAHRS is a medical degree and payment of membership fees. Ability is not measured at the IAHRS.

Hair Transplant physicians recommended on this site must meet a high level of standards. See how we recommend physicians here.

Choosing a first-rate hair restoration physician is much like sifting through coal to find diamonds. Thankfully, Pat, the Publisher of this community has spent countless hours doing a lot of the leg work. See highlights of many of his recent clinical visitations here

I hope this helps.

Bill

Hair transplantation should be looked upon as being a house.

The costs of a house is tremendous, but you know it is a longterm investment. So if you look at it this way the investment pro year is limited. For some of us it is the difference between living a happy life, or worry and avoid the mirror.

Remember, a HT is an optional treatment.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

I had mine done in Thailand for a little over $2 per graft because I was also concerned about price. Turns out that there is an excellent HT surgeon over there. Very happy so far...

Right now, 2,500 grafts costs about 189,000 Baht ($5700)

You can contact me for more info, if you like.

Or see my weblog below...

Tom

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

I was completly unaware that all it takes to be a member of the IAHRS is a degree and a check. Thanks for pointing this out guys. I have looked at the doctors in the Coalition and many of them also appears to be IAHRS members.

I have researched most of the Coalition members & their websites and found that most american doctors tend to charge the same sort of prices. As soon as your outside the US, the prices tend vary quite drastically..has anyone else noticed this?

I know that when considering an HT, the least thing you should think about are costs and distance to travel & focus primarily on the results. But if the doctors your considering are Coalition members, this should not present a problem...

I will be consulting with Dr.Tykocinski (Coalition member) from Brazil and I have also found a doctor in Belgium which also looks very good, also a Coalition member. When Looking at their pricing, the brazilian doctor seems to charge around half the price of a US doctor and the European doctor is also significantly cheaper compared to US prices.

From the doctors I have researched, i am favorable towards:

-Dr Epstein

-Dr Feller

-Dr Konior (as recommended by Burt1973)

-Hasson & Wong

Does anyone have experience with Dr. Pathomvanich from thailand suggested by Tom A? Im trying to find your blog but not having any luck..can you forward the link so I can check it out. Thanks

P.s. I Just been checking out Bill blog, what a result! also can relate to your story Bill. You must be really proud of the results, it looks awesome.

Larasa,

Consulting with and selecting from one of our coalition doctors is a wise move. They have proven to be the best of the best based on what we have seen.

Selecting a hair transplant doctor is hard work. From your list, however, you are definitely on the right track. Selecting between the best of the best is a subjective process. Find a doctor that "wows" you from viewing countless before/after pictures.

I recommend reading this thread that can be used as a guide: How do I choose a hair transplant doctor?

Thanks for the compliments by the way. Yes, I am very happy with my new hair!

Bill

Larasa,

Glad to see that you are looking at coalition physicians. Wise move. Although you have made some very good choices, likely things might change as you research more and more as each doc has their own unique specialties and you might click better with one versus the other.

Good luck.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I disagree with Rockwell. I had 3300 for around $7000 and certainly didn't get "butchered"... you just have to do a bit of research. You could spend $15,000 and get hacked up just as easily. I'm sure many people here can provide you with their stories.

Anyway, my blog is under repair as we speak. I would guess that the pictures will be back up within 24 hours and I will be adding my 1 month photos shortly after that.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.