Dr reccomendation in NYC/Long Island

gost

First time posting and have found the info on this site to be very helpful. I'm considering an HT procedure and would like to know if there is a Dr in the Long Island/NYC area that is reccomended by patients on this site that had positive results. I have consults coming up with Dr's True and Feller. I spoke with Dr True's assistant who mentioned that he performs only single hair grafts and I'm wondering if this an advantage or not. Any input would be appreciated.

in my opinion,and the opinion of many is that

you should go at least talk to dr.bernstein at

nhi,go for a consult and/or a seminar.he is one

of the pioneers of fut,he has written many medical

journals by which others follow.i'm happy with

my results and will be going for another one

soon to add density.i haven't read many positive

comments of the others you mention,however i have

read counltless positives and have experienced

it first hand myself with dr b. check him out before commiting to someone else.you can read

all my posts by clicking on my name,you'll see

my highs and lows,and some similar things you may be thinking answered.good luck

At least meet with Dr. Bernstein. He is very low key and low pressure ("no" pressure) and he will give you good advice.

You should probably talk with a few doctors, and I would definitely put Bernstein on your list. But in the meantime, keep reading and learning as much as you can about HT, so you will not waste time with these doctors asking about the basics. Read all of their web sites, and read everything on this web site. Look at the websites of ALL the recommeded doctors, including the ones you think are too far, etc, just for the information. Then , when you have your consultations, you'll know what the important questions to ask are, and you'll already have some opinions of your own, going in. Consider your consultation as a chance to interview these doctors, and see who really gives you the best advice...not just "what you want to hear" but who seems like they want to keep your best interests in mind, and not just "sell you" on cosmetic surgery.

Let us know what you think, if you meet these doctors.

Hmm, I think there may be a misunderstanding about what the clinic told you regarding (as you said) "single follicle grafts". If there are doctors who do actually use ONLY "single follicles" that is probably not good.

What you want are single "Follicular Unit" grafts, also called "FUs".

A "FU" graft is a single follicular unit. What you want to stay away from are "Minigrafts", which can contain "more than one" FU. A few "good" doctors might use an occasional Minigraft here and there, but the vast majority of all of your grafts should be FUs. Probably at least 90% should be FUs.

This has nothing to do with how many hairs grow in a graft. A "FU" graft can be one, two, or three hairs. You just want your grafts to be exclusively (or in some cases almost exclusively) "single FUs" ONLY.

Also, make sure the doctor or clinic dissects all of your grafts using microscopes. No microscopes? Get up and leave.

I'm not doing a very good job of describing FU grafts. Read the websites of the recommended doctors here, like I said, and also read this first: Best Hair Transplant Procedure

It explains why microscopically-dissected single "FU" grafts are called the "gold standard".

Until now I beleived websites like this one were beneficial to patients and doctors alike. Now I'm not so sure. The problem is that what is written in these chat areas are not only taken as gospel, but are presented with authority as well. ie: "the best surgeons in NYC are...". This is ridiculous. I've been in the field for almost 9 years and I don't even know who the "best" surgeon is. I certainly have my own opininon based on what I've seen, but I would not profer this to anyone, especially on a site like this where readers are already super sensitized by the pain of losing hair.

How is "best" defined anyway? By virtue of results? Number of procedures required? Pain? Density? Price? What!!? The truth is that it is impossible to rank surgeons who are experienced at FUs and really care about their work and their patients. It is unfair to lead the public into thinking hair transplant doctors can only be catagorized as honest vs. evil, or super-doctor vs. negligent bungler, as I have seen time and time again.

Here is a tip for the multitudes out there who have followed this site and many others like it hoping to be told how to pick a doctor... if your doctor is:

1.performing Follicular Grafting and

2.taking care to pack them at a minimum 25 grafts per sq Cm (with some exceptions like blacks) and

3. he/she has been practicing for more than 5 years on their own without the benefit of multimillion dollar ad campaigns, or being part of a group that can carry him...

then he will produce results, on average, as good as ANYBODY else in the field.

If you want proof of this, just look at the photographs on this site presented by the different doctors. Most look the same!!! Why do you think this is? Because most doctors of equal experience and any empathy for their patients perform surgery basically the same way.

I am in a unique position as a veteran full time hair transplant doctor, and patient to gauge accurately who is the "best surgeon" in New York and can promise you that ALL of the surgeons listed on this website will not leave you with a regret. And ALL of the surgeons (yes I've met them all) are empathetic toward their patients and passionate about their work. It is now up to you to pick 2 or 3 and find which variation of method you like best, and with whom you are most comfortable. Simple as that.

Dr. Feller

You may have a point about guys who sometimes say "Dr. So-and-so is the BEST", because lots of guys get ethusiastic about their results. I know I personally don't mind getting very opinionated and vocal about doctors who I think should be avoided.

You also made a bunch of good points about how to narrow down your search, and some other nice points as well.

But nobody in this particular thread has tried to to "tell" this fellow Gost he has to go anywhere in particular, or not go anywhere, or that any one doctor in New York is "the one"... I think the general consensus is to meet several doctors in the New York area, and think things over carefully.

Your point is well-taken, but I think the advice being given in this immediate thread is sound, and not overbearing.

I've read the thread several times. The overall advice I seem to be hearing here is "meet with several doctors, not just one or two".

Nobody should get a hair transplant after consulting with just one doctor or clinic.

How does that sound?

Regarding Dr. Feller, his thread on the "Density" issue is one of the most informative threads in recent memory. There is a balance and compromise between having a lot of density vs. covering a large area of baldness. Dr. Feller makes a good case for dense grafting.

[This message was edited by arfy on October 18, 2002 at 11:05 PM.]

• 1 month later...

I have been on consults with Dr. Feller, True and Bernstein and all were very impressive. I would consider surgery with any/all of them. One interesting point on packing density is that Dr. Bernstein told me he doesn't feel comfortable going any higher than 25 grafts/sq cm while Dr. Feller feels he can go much higher. Dr. Bernstein also told me he wouldn't restore my hairline but would move it back the width of my finger so that it would look good throughout my life even if I never had another transplant. Feller and True made no such distinction - I don't even no who I agree with, it just goes to show different surgeons, all well respected, can have widely varying opinions on how to restore your hairline.

I think you misunderstood what you heard from my staff person. I use almost exclusively single follicular unit grafts not single hair grafts in my practice. The process of dissection is essentailly the same as that of any of the other doctors who are named or who have participated in this discussion thread.

Dr. True

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The problem is that what is written in these chat areas are not only taken as gospel

Well, if we took the media's word as gospel, we'd all be going to the likes of Bosley or NuHart. You pick, television or this board. Personally, I know where my trust lies. But then, I'm not a doctor of HT surgery, thereofre I have no agenda other than to share raw facts of what I experienced = fact VS. a television ad with paid participants who would tell you that they had genital herpes for a few thousand bucks if asked to do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is ridiculous. I've been in the field for almost 9 years and I don't even know who the "best" surgeon is.

Well, if you don't know who the "best surgeon is, then you DEFINITELY know who it isn't, right? Not to sound like a jerk, but the "best" surgeon is relative, but can you honestly say that a large group of people who have had better than excellent results from one such doctor doesn't put that doc in the running for "best" of what's out there at this partcular moment. I think it does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would not profer this to anyone, especially on a site like this where readers are already super sensitized by the pain of losing hair.

Well, I wouldn't choose a doctor who spells the word PREFER with an "O" either. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif just kidding mate.

Seriously though, that's where you are dead wrong, you don't find out about rape by asking a woman who has never been raped (harsh comparison, but yet so true). But then, I'm not one of those guys who criticizes gymnasts flipping 7 times in the air if they happen to land with their feet a little cock-eyed, because I sure as shite couldn't get anywhere near that.

People losing their hair are EXACTLY the proper demographic that others should ask, because people losing their hair have gone through the procedures and know what it's all about. "super-sensitized" or not, at least they have experienced it and know their own personal results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How is "best" defined anyway? By virtue of results? Number of procedures required? Pain? Density? Price? What!!?

All of the above combined.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The truth is that it is impossible to rank surgeons who are experienced at FUs and really care about their work and their patients.

No it's not, the stories here speak volumes in and of themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is unfair to lead the public into thinking hair transplant doctors can only be catagorized as honest vs. evil, or super-doctor vs. negligent bungler, as I have seen time and time again.

I firmly and respectfully disagree with this assessment. Compare Bosley to Shapiro, BOOM, I'm right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you want proof of this, just look at the photographs on this site presented by the different doctors.

Any doctor can choose the "cream of the crop" and use only those, plus, a photo is just that, only a photo. And being a designer, I could manipulate ANY photo ANY way I please. So that's just "bunk", no offense intended.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Most look the same!!!

Not true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>New York and can promise you that ALL of the surgeons listed on this website will not leave you with a regret.

Wait, didn't you just state in the beginning that you don't think this site is beneficial?? Now you're telling people to trust it... we must be missing something here...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And ALL of the surgeons (yes I've met them all) are empathetic toward their patients and passionate about their work.

Well, now I truly question your motives, because if you can honestly say that Dr. L Lee Bosley is truly passionate about his work, you aren't a very good judge of character. Exactly how many people do they have to butcher and churn out to qualify as being "passionate about their work" or "empathetic towards their patients"? How many times does their medical licence have to be put on probation or suspended before they qualify as a top doc?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is now up to you to pick 2 or 3 and find which variation of method you like best, and with whom you are most comfortable. Simple as that.

And this board is EXACTLY how they can do that. If you haven't noticed, the only true way to find most HT doctors out there is from the web, and any old cretin can make a site and claim to be a "god of HT surgery", but if it weren't for boards like this (the only one I have seen), nobody would know who to trust.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you also should see dr. feller. i have not seen his work, but i am impressed with is mind.

Don't forget, many people were impressed with Theodore John Kaczynski's mind as well. Not to compare Dr. Feller with the unibomber, but gauging someone's mind over the quality, or lack thereof, of their work is a bad mistake.

I mean, hey, I have a good mind and I am thinking of starting HT surgeries in my garage. Come on guys, I have a good mind, come see me for a consultation. icon_wink.gif

Just a little sarcastic way to express a personal opinion, no harm intended and no offense meant by it. icon_wink.gif But seriously, this board is VERY helpful to many people, please don't knock it or the good that it does.

It's because of this baord, and this one alone, that I am so personally pleased with the decision I made and I have absolutely no doubts that it was the right decision.

Thanks.

Noreaster a couple of days ago I posted a topic on the same question you just asked. How many grafts per cm2 does it take to get decent coverage. What is that number. Of course I understand different people expect different looks. I am 49, I want to look like a 49 year old with a decent amount of hair not John Travolta at 25!!! Another question I would like answered is do you densely pack in the front and top then gradually reduce the grafts per cm2 as you get near the crown. Does that blend correctly? I have read on this site where a few people had 6,000 to 7,000 grafts if that is what it takes I think people should know before they start the process. I believe most people when they start the HT process think that 1500- 2000 grafts will be sufficient. Then they see after the transplant that it is not enough and go back for many more HT. After reading the numerous threads on this site I am getting to think that this is a life long committment at a significant cost. If it takes 6,000 grafts @ 5.00 that is $30,000. Would most people start if they knew it would cost that much? It will be interesting to hear from other patients and of course surgeons on this subject.

I think I am representative of the average person that enters the hair transplant spinning wheel. You think that one or two surgeries will get you want you you want to only realize that you need another and then another. The doctors do not tell you this up front and may even give you the impression that one surgery will do when they know you would need multiple surgeries. They do this because they know you would go to other doctors and the other doctor would tell you that you need more than one hair transplant. There are people posting here that admit to having 6 or more surgeries. Do you think these people would have gotten involved in this surgery if they knew they would have that many procedures, and maybe more to come if they knew what they would be getting into. Someone said that once you get involved with this surgery it never stops. You alsys need another.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How will it look at 20 grafts per, how about 40? If I go 50 grafts per am I going to run out of donor and look like Joe Biden?

When discussing the density issue, it is important to note how "dense packing" in the front will affect the rest of the head.

If "Surgeon X" can pack 100 FUs per cm, is he really doing you any favors?

There is a limited amount of donor hair, that will not cover a fully bald head. It is important to keep this in mind. Sometimes "less is more". Remember that hair transplants do not result in a full head of hair... EVER. No matter who your doctor is, or what techniques he uses. What transplants do is provide the ILLUSION of coverage.

By packing "too" densely, could a surgeon actually be setting a patient up for future dissappointment, after the patient's donor hair runs out?

[This message was edited by arfy on November 24, 2002 at 10:08 AM.]

Great point.

Dense packing is definately not for everyone -

The evaluation of the patients balding future is so critical and often underevaluated, sometimes I feel really young guys are playing roulette by demanding and searching out agressive HT's.

Example #1

A 45 year male nwa3-nw4a large donor area good crown and med to dense donor.

vs.

Example #2

27 year old nw5, rapidly shrinking donor area.

Example #1

The older guy has a much more certain future and therefore may get away with a bit denser packing.

Example #2

Go very consevative on the hairline and coverage grafting only - or dont get a HT at all.

This above simple basis alone may be paramount to avoiding a failure.

The "ethical" docs will not cave in and operate in any agressive manner to the likes of Example #2, and keep expectations in line with reality.

Dr. Bernstien has some valid reasoning on his consevative approach, often he does young men a favor, I have heard several under 30 yr olds say Propecia only was his recommendation (cant blame him).

NW

OK guys.

Here is a patient on whom I did over 35 grafts per cm sq in the first third of the head. He easily has 2 more surgeries in him. In fact he will be going for surgery number 2 in December to fill in the 4 inch area just behind where I filled in in surgery number 1.

Would you prefer a different strategy?

Give me your honest opinions.

Dr Feller

side.jpgtop.jpgclose.jpgportrait.jpg

Dr. Feller

Doctor that is very good work. It is impressive the density in the front third of the scalp. What percentage of the 1800 grafts actually took? That is the most important question don't you think?. There is some controversy upward of 25 grafts per cm2 as you are aware since you are an active participant on this site. I am wondering doctor you seem to take the scalp and split it into 3 phases. In the second and third phase will you decrease the grafts per cm2 or will you continue using the same amount. Personally spaeking of course I rather see the 1800 grafts spread out over the first half of the scalp then go back later and fill in. But I know from reading your threads you feel its much better to complete one area then proceed forward.

Dr Feller,

I have to admit this phase 1 of 3 really looks goofy (temporarily speaking), But I imagine you prefer the bare scalp in the follow-up procedures. The work itself looks very nice.

I would agree with the previous post that "if" I could, I would go 1/2 and 1/2 too.

But again very nice work in terms of phase 1.

NW

I personally don't care for this fellow's results.

I think it is "too dense" in the front, for the rest of his head. I understand that he will have further procedures (and they will certainly not be able to match this level of density). He will almost certainly have a bald crown. I personally dislike a dense hairline matched with a bald crown. It's not a natural pattern of hair loss seen very often, if ever... More than giving guy a strong hairline, "Job #1" in a hair transplant is to make it look natural, in every way. Natural looking grafts (FU) obviously, but also a natural pattern of hair loss is crucial, in my opinion.

Sorry Dr. Feller, but this guy looks unbalanced, (and I know he will have more surgeries, but I think he will still have that same problem). My tastes are towards a softer, more diffused hairline. Especially in high-Norwood patients.

I also think his hairline may be too far forward for his age, besides being too dense. This guy looks to be in his late 50s or in his 60s, while he has the hairline of a guy in his 40s. In twenty years, he will look even less appropriate.

These are just my impressions. If he's happy, that's terrific, but I don't care for it.

Wizard,

All the grafts took. While I admit that I don't count every graft, I didn't see any obvious spaces in the pattern. Also, he is obviously thicker than patients I've performed say 1200 grafts on. In Phase 2, as you call it, I will indeed begin to drop the density in favor of area. Why not? He will probably continute to comb the front hair into the back anyway, so when he does the hair will combine to form a very nice look (which was the plan from day one). I used to perform surgery by going into the same areas a second time, but have learned that the best chances for success are as few passes as possible.

NW

When you write 1/2 and 1/2 I assume you mean half in the first 2/3 of scalp and then the other half in the same 2/3 of scalp between the first grafts. This method is just not as reliable. Complications include increased bleeding time, increased surgery time, increased scarring, decrease graft survival and more. I'm not against beefing up an area that is a bit thin after the first round, but a second session into an area that has say 1000 grafts is simply not the best way. Get most in in one sitting and have done with it.

Arfy,

You are the first person in the history of hair transplantation to tell me I actually transplanted an area TOO DENSE! THANKS!

When you say this guy looks "unbalanced" I will assume you are referring to his hair icon_wink.gif

I agree! If he told me he was only going to have one surgery I would have spread the grafts out over a larger area.

I do disagree with you that his pattern, when finished, would not be natural however. It will be as natural as any guy who just lost his hair to that point. Case in point, former VP Al Gore. He is quite thick in the front and top and totally empty in the crown.

To waste hairs in the crown of a Norwood 6 of his age would be a mistake in my opinion. This has been commented on time and time again on this site.

Your assesment of his hairline is also off. His is a very, very conservative hairline the height of which is dictated by the recession of his temple hair (among other things). Some of your comments may be subjective, but the hairline one is objectively wrong. Sorry. Also, the density of his frontal hairline is LOWER than that of the hair behind it. This was done to ensure a soft hairline. Look at the closeup photo and you should see this.

This guy is very happy. Perhaps better than this, his wife is happy! I will post the results of round 2 after six months.

Dr. Feller

Arfy

I agree with you in some aspects. I dont think you can compare this patient with Al Gore. Gore may have a hair on top and a bald crown but he does not have so much recession as this guy has. This casse shows me that even though you use all FU, the hair transplant can be detectable. But lets forget about the crown. If you see him just the front you can tell. I think that his hairline has a too strong V shape and the peak maybe too low. What I think is the problem is that he does not have much hair on the sides (near de sideburns). When you look near the sideburns you see its a bald guy, but the you look to the top of his head and you see hair.... thats strange.. that makes people wonder.. where does that hair came from?

I think that maybe some hair on the sides can reduce this contrast.. but I am not a Doctor.. I dont know how will that look when you compare it with the crown..