scar

Frog

There are many people on here who have/had the same problem as you. You really have two choices

1 - If you get another HT you can have the doc use the T - closure to correct the old scar. Baiscally, it is a closure method where hair grows through the scar to conceal it.

2 - Get it filled in through an FUE procedure .

I'm sure others will comment as well

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I have not had a ht yet myself, but have researched what options are out their in the event that I go forward with a ht, to see what can be done about a horrible scar...I saw a case where someone FUE'd into the scar and it came out very well...But this individual had stablizised his hairloss and was happy with his recipient area...

So, I would ask: how happy are you with your hairloss situation(i.e. would you prefer donor hair be placed on the top of your head or in the scar?) I think that is a paramount question to be asked. Given a finite donor supply, where would you like to see it go?

Or if you elect for the T-closure method then you will not have this dilemna; but I have seen cases where the patient was unhappy with old closure methods, and then even went ahead with another ht, using the T closure method, and still after this FUE'd into the scar...and ultimately they were happy with their results. So I would still ask what is more important to you: using your donor for the top of your head or to fill in the scar?

Mrjb spelled out the best options. In my opinion, a patient with sufficient scalp laxity should seriously look at the scar removal option via strip excision. A scar reduction will not always leave a perfect pencil line scar, but in almost all cases the scar can be reduced in size. If the sole objective is to improve the donor area, the width of the strip should not exceed the widest point of the scar; if you want more grafts, that's another story. The resulting scar can then be FUEed if you desire.

Grafts grow in scars but sometimes the growth is not a good as we would like. That is one reason I think a scar reductions via strip is the preferable first step. FUE is great method to touch up revisions. It is also a good first line of treatment if scalp laxity is insuffient.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank you i will not be rushing into this and intend to see a few doctors in person to offer help.

i will try get a picture up of my scar so you can see what i am dealing with also icon_frown.gif

Hi guys, i realy need your help here it's been 70 post ht now, plus i lost most of existing hair and no any sign for growth yet for both new n native hair, i noticed like almost cpl weeks now hair shedding a lot plus the scar is getting bigger and seems like shoss loss in the scar area specially left side from the top and the back of my head, i started using rogaine cpl weeks after the ht ,,,there is few pinchs and like 3 or 4 pimples most of them in one side ...any one went through that situation,,plz help,,i could not post my pic's ,it's to big,, i have the most important day in my life is comming next month(wedding day),,omg i never looked worse than i'm now...help.....plz..is that normal or it count like i'm one of those who had bad ht!!

You know that sometimes the patients with the most scalp laxity are at greatest risk for a scar- due to the nature of the collagen.

Scar repairs can be tricky, and humility is the key for the consulting doctor.

I typically advise patients that with a scar repair, there is a 50% chance I can get the scar 50% thinner, while a 40% chance 20 to 40% thinner, and 10% chance minimal change or worse.

Sincerely,

Jeff Epstein, MD, FACS

Miami and NYC

www.foundhair.com

I must tell you that I had a HT with Dr. Epstein in July and there is NO trace of a scare. I have even had people pull my hair apart and look and they can find nothing. I would say if anyone can fix a scar he should be able to.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

That was "scar" by the way not "scare". But no, Dr. Epstein didn't scare me either!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• 4 weeks later...

here is a picture of my scar that i have also sent to various clinics to gain some advice on which is the best way for me to benefit from my next transplant surgery. I really do not want to have another strip surgery due to the pain involved with the previous one and also because of the potential for the scar to be made even worse. this is from just one surgery with a clinic in the uk who for reasons at this time i do not want to mention. do you think i can FUE into this scar and break it up sufficiently to hide it? could i do a test session do you think into it to see the success first of FUE into it as i have read that it isn't great in terms of growth some times.

i only need about 800-100 grafts in the front recipient zone to add a little to help hide about 20 grafts growing in the wrong directions which look pluggy also. my loss is not great at all and i only ever needed a very small session. i just wish i had waited and found this forum as it could have saved me a great deal of pain and axiety. any help much appreciated. as i said before i really do not want another strip surgery.

scar_pic.jpg

Frog, For what you want to do, I'd guess you should opt for a strip surgery to include the removal of the stretched tissue.

That is a widely stretched strip scar-probably from too tight a donor closure after the doc removed too much tissue. Can't be sure of course but I'd wait for replies from the docs you've consulted and make a few more inquiries while you wait. It can onjly help you in making a well informed decision.

Hi frog im sorry to see your scar has stretched this much. I know of a guy on another forum who also had poor work performed on him in the UK which left him with a scar like yours. I will post a link of his story

BAL Staple cycle technique

BAL has now had his scar fixed after going through a staple cycle experiment with Dr Feller.

Hope this helps

Stevo

2600 grafts Dr Feller 28/01/08

3024 grafts Dr Feller 15/01/07

• 2 weeks later...

i have since emailed a few clinics with limited feedback. many didn't even reply to me

which is not very helpful. i am thinking of revision now and rolling the dice to see if it stretches again. thanks for the link stevo, very helpful icon_smile.gif