thinking about a HT

Hey everyone, I've been seriously considering a HT for a long time now. I'm 23 and started losing my hair a while ago.. I've now been wearing a hat every damn day of my life for almost the past 2 years and I'm very much tired of it. I've researched propecia/rogaine quite a bit but never tried it, because my hair loss is severe enough now that I really, really don't think it would do me much good, if any.

anyway, I'm located in Utah, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of really good surgeons in the western US somewhere. Vegas would be great if there are any down there, but I'd be willing to travel to Southern Cali, too. I guess the whole reason I've been putting this off is because I'm a big pansy when it comes to any type of surgery but this one will be worth it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated...thanks.

Hey everyone, I've been seriously considering a HT for a long time now. I'm 23 and started losing my hair a while ago.. I've now been wearing a hat every damn day of my life for almost the past 2 years and I'm very much tired of it. I've researched propecia/rogaine quite a bit but never tried it, because my hair loss is severe enough now that I really, really don't think it would do me much good, if any.

anyway, I'm located in Utah, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of really good surgeons in the western US somewhere. Vegas would be great if there are any down there, but I'd be willing to travel to Southern Cali, too. I guess the whole reason I've been putting this off is because I'm a big pansy when it comes to any type of surgery but this one will be worth it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated...thanks.

Hey Fella,

There are some great coalition doctors in the Western US area of the country:

-Dr. William Reed in La Jolla, CA

-Dr. William R. Rassman in LA, CA

-Dr. Scott F. Alexander in Phoenix, AZ

-Dr. Sharon Keene in Tuscon, AZ

Take clear pictures of your scalp in different angles and email them to these doctors for advice. These coalition doctors by default should be ethical doctors. So if they agree to perform a procedure on you and you have educated yourself about the risk of doing a HT at a young age, then go for it.

I understand what it feels like to loose your hair in your twenties. Good luck.

ryes31,

Welcome to our community. I suggest you check out this link for a qualified list of doctors who have met the "gold standard" of hair transplantation: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp. This is a link to the coalition doctors who have proven to yield consistent positive results over time.

Allow me to give you a few tips:

1. Post some photos here of your hairloss condition so we can give you some better advice of how many grafts you might need, etc.

2. I know you said that at 23 your hairloss is already extensive and you don't think finasteride/minoxodil will help. BUT...if you have any native hair left on top of your head, considering your hairloss is pretty aggressive based on your condition...if you want to keep it, I'd suggest getting on the medication. Again, I think pictures will help us give you better advice on this matter...but I typically advise trying the medication first to, at the very least, strengthen and/or keep the existing hair you have.

3. Don't let location determine which physician you go to.

4. Spend some time researching doctors and view many before/after pictures of REAL patients apart from the clinic's website. Remember...people travel all over the world to go to who they deem as the BEST physician for their needs.

5. Research and educate yourself regarding the risks, limitations, and benefits of hair transplantation. Learn to establish realistic goals.

I hope this helps get you started.

Bill

ryes-

I also would recommend you get on Finasteride (Propecia) ASAP..........it can very well help you to keep whats left for an indefinite period of time. Minoxidil (Rogaine) can also help but the regimen was too messy for me. Either is a lifelong commitment as anything you keep or regrow because of them will quickly be gone if you stop.

As for a HT.............if you opt to do it, make sure you research the Docs and pick a good one. The Coalition Surgeons recoommended by this site is a great place to start. At 23, you have no real idea how far you loss will go and you need a reputable Doc to help you develop a plan that will take into account your age and possible further loss progression.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

If you are worried enough about your hair loss that you are considering hair transplant surgery, I would sincerely encourage you to jump on some medical therapy to slow down your loss. As mentioned by others, there is Propecia and Minox as well as some others ancillary therapies like Nizoral Shampoo, Saw Palmetto, Topical Spironolactone, etc.

I find that sometimes patients are discouraged by the fact that medication may not always regrow hair. Just keep in mind that often times meds can coax some of the wispy, thinning hairs on your scalp to grow with a better diameter. This can give better coverage and improve hair volume.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.