Little scared to medication!

dominic

I just started taking Lexapro last week and it is already helping a little bit. But it seems like I am more stressed in the morning and start feeling better in the afternoon. Is this how it starts working in some people? I have some Xanax too and sometimes take a half when I feel like I need. I'm hoping there are some people who DON'T have a really bad experience getting off of it. Is there anyone who did not have a lot of problems? I had a bad experience with Zoloft so I was scared to start another drug. Any advice?

Please help!

dominic-

I sincerely wish I could help you. I didn't know what Lexapro was so i looked it up and realized it was medication for depression, correct? I'd really urge you to talk with a qualified MD about this rather than throw the question out to the forum. Maybe someone here takes it and can respond to you..........I hope so. If not, I wouldn't mess around with something like depression and would urge you to seek qualified medical advice.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

You should look for natural treatment of asthma. I read a book called asthma free naturally as written by Patrick McKeown. That this book is available online and details the Buteyko breathing method for asthma. He teaches Buteyko Breathing Clinic and many other methods. Have a look at www.asthmacare.ie You would surely be benefited.

lukas-

Am I missing something in the post..............where in dominic's post did it say he had asthma?? Promotional links are prohibited here so move on if you're just trying to sell something (and it appears that is the case).

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Although they are both SSRIs (serotonin reuptake inhibitors), Lexapro has a different mechanism from Zoloft. This means that it targets different receptor sites in the brain, so it may affect you differently.

Lexapro is more selective than Zoloft, so the side effects are often milder. If it helps, I know two people, one with anxiety and one with depression, who both did much better on Lexapro than Zoloft. But, it is different for each patient.

Keep a log of how you feel and bring this to your doctor so that he/she can adjust your dosage times, strength, etc. If it doesn't work, try not to get discouraged. Keep working on it. icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------

I am not a doctor. I am a surgical tech trained in hair transplant. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Mwamba. My advice is not medical advice.

• 3 months later...

Hi Dominic,

Probably I'm late here, but still I will try to answer.

Everyone is different, and finding the most suitable antidepressant is very individual. It is usually trial and error until you get the correct medication. There is a number of people both with successful Lexapro experience and with a negative one.

There are several ways how Lexapro differs form other SSRIs:

- it is the most selective SSRI

- more rapid onset of effect than with other SSRIs

- fewer problems with discontinuation than with Paxil

- low rates of activating side effects