Dr Konior Chicago Metro???

Hi All first post - have been reading this site for a few months now. Thanks for your great posts. Has anyone ever gone to or heard of Dr Raymond J. Konior out of Chicago, IL Suburbs?

He is listed as a dr on this site but I have not seen any posts about him. I am scheduling a consult with him soon, my first with a HT Dr. Still doing research on him and Ht in general.

Would appreciate any feedback him or any other drs in the Chicago area.

Thanks,

Jrp

Hi All first post - have been reading this site for a few months now. Thanks for your great posts. Has anyone ever gone to or heard of Dr Raymond J. Konior out of Chicago, IL Suburbs?

He is listed as a dr on this site but I have not seen any posts about him. I am scheduling a consult with him soon, my first with a HT Dr. Still doing research on him and Ht in general.

Would appreciate any feedback him or any other drs in the Chicago area.

Thanks,

Jrp

I don't know of Dr. Konior, but I know that there has been a lack of recommended HT surgeons in the Chicago area until recently. So I am curious to learn more about Dr. Konior as well.

One place I can tell you to avoid like the plague is the Physicians Hair Transplant Center (PHTC) in Rosemont Illinois. This place was formerly a branch of Cleveland Hair Clinic (one of the worst-ever clinics) and is a "hair mill". All of the doctors associated with this clinic are hacks, and the salesman who lied to me repeatedly (Dick Malmin) still works there. I'm still waiting for my donor scars to "disappear" as Dick promised. He also said my transplant would be "undetectable", and a whole lot of other blatant lies, so he could get a commission off my "sale". Anybody who wants to learn more about these hacks can do so by clicking here.

If there were any justice in this world, Dick Malmin would have been run over by a semitrailer by now. Any truck drivers out there, Dick Malmin is the second from the top in the left column: http://www.chicagobody.com/hair/results/

[This message was edited by arfy on August 20, 2002 at 06:58 PM.]

Indy/Arfy,

Thanks for you replies. I am going to consult with Konior and Shapiro as well. Thanks again. Will post as I learn more.

Jrp

Having never used them I can't recommend the New Hair Institute but they do have an office in Chicago.

http://www.800newhair.com/home.htm

Have you considered travelling to Minnesota for a consultation with Dr. Shapiro?

Hi guys,

i live in the Chicago land area as well and am very interested in knowing about the Dr. in Chicago please keep me in mind as well.

I had a HT in Canada by Dr. Robert Jones about 3 weeks ago and i tell you this the price was VERY VERY attractive worth the trip and the Dr did an incredible ob i am very happy with my results so far i definately recommend Dr Jones especially that you will save a ton of money.

Thanks,

Eli

Hello Eli? I was hoping you could help me; I"m planning on getting my head reseeded at Dr. Jones office if you could let me know some costs after conversion factor and maybe send me some pictures I would be forever indebted to you. I'm t minus two days before I let hairclubformen slap a rug on my head and I much rather invest the money in a HT.

thanks

chad kahl

gkahl@ufl.edu

Hi guys,

i live in the Chicago land area as well and am very interested in knowing about the Dr. in C

hicago please keep me in mind as well.

I had a HT in Canada by Dr. Robert Jones about 3 weeks ago and i tell you this the price was VERY VERY attractive worth the trip and the Dr did an incredible ob i am very happy with my results so far i definately recommend Dr Jones especially that you will save a ton of money.

Thanks,

Eli

Chad

I am not "anti-hair piece" but please do not go to Hair Club for men, there are better places than that.

Whatever you do, don't rush into anything, whwther it is a hair piece, hair transplant, whatever. All this stuff has pros and cons that need to be weighed carefully. Otherwise you can really get screwed.

If I were going to get a hairpiece, this is probably the only place i would consider (and even these guys are not magicians): http://www.farrellhair.com/

I think he is now working with Physicians Hair Transplant Center in Chicago and maintaining his own of practices in other cities.

That Dick Malvin and the other guy they have as consultants at PHTC as conmen and themselves have terrible hair transplants. Malvin hair looks like a joke.

I had 6 transplant procedures done by him and all I got was a huge donor scar and less hair than when I started. He's a totally conman and the marriage of him and PHTC seems approriate, given their poor reputation also.

I have met with EVERY hair transplant doctor in the Chicagoland area. Based on my research, reputation and gut feeling, I would rank the top doctors in the following order:

1. Konior

2. Gencheff (Madison Hair Transplant)

3. Wentland

4. Pomerantz (had 1 procedure by him)

O'hare at Bosley, has only been doing transplant for a couple years. The guy at MHR who took Ziering place when he moved, also has only been doing transplant a couple years. Same thing for Ivenson of Elliott & True. I didn't meet with a doctor at the Pai Group, but after seeing there offices and meeting with their consultant, they seem very sleazy and I would never consider them.

Wow, somebody out there who knows who Dick Malmin is. What a poor excuse for a human being Dick is.

Can you imagine how wretched you have to be, to have a career based around talking guys into getting a sub-standard hair transplant?

Pathetic...!

• 1 month later...

I dont know much about Dr. Konior but I did go to Dr. Pomerantz at Chicago Hair Institute .He did 2 procedures on me and my hair is growing and looking great. The last one was in August and he did 1200 grafts for $ 4.00 per graft . He did a new procedure called follicular zoning and I am very happy with it.

Rocket

I did go to Dr. Pomerantz at Chicago Hair Institute .He did 2 procedures on me and my hair is growing and looking great. The last one was in August and he did 1200 grafts for $ 4.00 per graft . He did a new procedure called follicular zoning and I am very happy with it.

Rocket

I did go to Dr. Pomerantz at Chicago Hair Institute .He did 2 procedures on me and my hair is growing and looking great. The last one was in August and he did 1200 grafts for $ 4.00 per graft . He did a new procedure called follicular zoning and I am very happy with it.

Rocket

• 2 weeks later...

I had surgery with Dr. Pomerantz last year. I went to him after two people I knew saw him and got results that impressed me. However, I knew nothing about transplants at the time. Now when I see the results of my friends I can see how their hairlines could definitely look more natural (I don't comment on this to them).

Being a blithering idiot, I got on the net about a month after my surgery to start looking for information about hair transplants and found these great sites.

Here's my opinion of late:

Dr. Pomerantz lags behind on techniques. He didn't use stereoscopic magnification for dissection of grafts as of a year ago and he has said nothing about doing so in his recent newsletters. As of one year ago, he took a hard line on new approaches claiming that there would be no improvements in the technology of transplantation until hair cloning/multiplication is developed.

Then a few months ago he sent out a newsletter claiming he has been using FU's all along (since the early 90's) and it's no big deal. So, he said, he didn't bother to call his grafts FU's in the past. His newsletter description of FU's seemed a little slippery to me. He talked about transplanting follicles with the glands and surrounding blood supply intact, but didn't mention the natural clusterings of follicles (which could be difficult, though not impossible to dissect using his underpowered magification techniques).

Then, last month, despite his claim that there would be no improvements in hair transplants until cloning is developed, he announced that he is offering a new technique - "zoning." Zoning, as he described it is just what Dr. Shapiro and other Drs. have been doing for several years. That is, it's the more natural, random distribution of single hairs in the anterior hairline zone. Moving back, the grafts in the next zone include two hair grafts and get larger up to fours further in. Also graft density increases as the grafts are place more deeply into the next zone. So, it's much like a natural receding hailine.

So much for nothing new until hair multiplication. But, it's not really new, is it?

Dr. Pomerantz also used a pretty big circular punch for recipient sites, so grafts are spaced far apart. He also criticed any other recipient incision methods, and terribly exagerated the incidence of problems with smaller incisions, while ignoring the problems of his larger punches. Until he learned about zoning, he created more of a line of hairs in the hairline, rather than a random "natural" distribution. Also, the large punch in the recipient sites left a small imperfection at the base of many of the transplanted hairs. These are visible only on very close inspection, but of course this occurs when the recipient sites are so large.

The first procedure I had is not a good stand alone procedure. It's very minimally acceptable, in my opinion. An uneducated eye might not know what's up with my hairline, but any veteran could tell. This is inexcusable given the methods in use now for several years.

Dr. Pomerantz also claimed recently that FUE's are nothing new and that he did them years ago. He said that a scar sheet forms under the donor area when FUE's are taken, so the procedure was abandoned. Dr. P. said that the scar sheet leads to cosmetically unacceptable deformity of the entire donor area. This was written two newsletters ago when he was still maintaining that nothing new would be done in the field until blah, blah blah... He simply dismissed FUE's as a story that's over because of these "scar sheets."

I will be going to another surgeon to finish my hairline. The more newsletters I recieve from Dr. Pomerantz, the more his attitude bothers me. My earlier assessments of him were kinder, but as time goes on, when I consider what I payed, and what I could have had done by any one of dozens of Drs. on this site for the same amount of money, the more I'm irritated. I just don't think it's right to so mislead people about what is state of the art. Dr. P. sounds so definitive and unbalanced when he tells you about his approach versus others. From the way he tells it, you would think that anyone would be a fool to use one of the surgeons on this site. In fact, his attitude stands in stark and unflattering contrast to the honest, balanced and generous attitudes of so many of the surgeons who contribute information to this site. I just don't get the sense that Dr. P. wants to grow professionally.

I'm guessing this of course, but maybe Dr. P. has been getting defensive as patients are arriving at his office much better educated because of great sites like this.

Thanks Pat and everyone who contributes!

Paul148,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to see Dr Konior in Chicago Metro area next week. My first visit to a HT Surgeon.

If anyone has any advice on the questions I should ask, beyond the FU, Microscopic dissection, before and after photos questions, I would appreciate it greatly.

jrp65