New HT Patient - Dr. Griffin

I don't think I've posted here ... just trolled for a while and gathered info. I just had HT surgery on 4/23/08 and wanted to relay some of my experience. Also, since I haven't seen many postings about Dr. Edmund Griffin in Atlanta, I wanted to get his name out there because I think he's a great doctor.

I'm 33. About 7 years ago my hair started to thin on top and on the crown. Two years ago I went to Dr. Griffin after I found him mentioned on here. Since then, I found that using Rogaine daily with Avodart added to the solution stopped my hair loss, but caused no regrowth. Pictures taken about a month ago confirmed it. Once I knew how to keep my hair in its current state with Rogaine+Avodart, I went ahead with a 1,700 unit surgery. Oh, I also started using Nizoral daily about two months ago.

Dr. Griffin suggested we put all of it on top. I'm sure a bigger operation would have been better, but I don't have that kind of coin laying around! I figure I'll have a second HT in the next couple of years anyway and I'd really feel better about having a good hairline up front.

Today is only the third day since the operation and my discomfort has been minimal. Dr. Edmund and his staff were really friendly, confident, and clearly had everything covered. It was obvious that this wasn't their first rodeo. I am impressed, I'm not sure what else to say.

My only complication, if you can call it that, is some swelling on my forehead. I was told to expect that and was given a couple of remedies that worked (tape and elevation). I did go out in the sun (with a hat) today for a short while and got paranoid that the grafts were "cooking" under my cap! I'm basically going by the book on this one: no exertion; no manipulation; cool, indirect water when washing; I'm using the soap provided; I take the meds on time every time, etc. I'm excited to get started with this!

dscn0509.jpg.f5577cc41bab7e5bae5420bcffab29b0.jpg

zero,

Congratulations on your recent hair transplant and for selecting a terrific surgeon (Dr. Griffin). Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures with us. Do you have any before pictures to share with us also?

Though we don't have any before photos to look at, it appears you had a good bit of hair loss. 1700 grafts should be a nice start, but to achieve any level of density, you will most likely need subsequent surgeries.

From what it sounds like, you and Dr. Griffin opted on this session size for financial reasons? My personal preference has always been for the larger sessions initially if possible, but money can sometimes be a problem. Besides, I started out my hair restoration journey the same as you....started small, and gradually increased with each subsequent session. It may not have been ideal, but the end result is the same!

It's nice to see a Dr. Griffin patient on here. I hope you'll go the distance and share your monthly progress pictures and final result in a year. Feel free also to create a hair loss weblog which is the easiest way to manage your photos and track your progress.

Heal and grow well.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I do have some extra pix, including a before shot (see below). It's true that finances were a factor, but I think you get what you pay for and I feel that Dr. Griffin does good work, although time will tell in my particular case. So, to clarify, I went with the session size for financial reasons, not Dr. Griffin. Dr. Griffin's rates seem to be in line with what the well-regarded, often-reviewed docs on here charge. I hope that makes sense.

Here's that "before" shot I mentioned. It's from about 1y prior to surgery.

dscn0042.jpg.6f3bfa24f7e4d2d20ddbd817321aab91.jpg

Three days post-op. This is the donor site. Nobody knows there are staples there unless I point it out. I was surprised about that at first. I couldn't understand how people couldn't see a line of staples stretching from one ear to the other?! Then I took a picture to see for myself ... it's concealed really well in my opinion. The hair in that area is however long you get with a #4 guard.

dscn0527.jpg.5465fd23f10c088acce3b7c3537c22d1.jpg

Looks good Zero. Are you from around the Atlanta area? I'm up north about 30 miles on I75.

How much for 1700? Thanks.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Another one from three days post-op. This shows the top again. It looks a lot less irritated than on the first day (also posted here). I'm able to wash it now and I've been using the copper peptide spray to prevent crusting.

dscn0521.jpg.7f5aecb754b93286ff0760e6ea88ce12.jpg

Thanks, Dewayne. I'm in midtown, so Dr. Griffin is probably about halfway between us. How did you like Dr. Cooley? It looks like a number of people here have used multiple (but seemingly good) doctors, is there a reason to try different docs? It seems like you'd stick with the same one if you were satisified with your results? Any thoughts on that?

I'm very satisfied with Dr. Cooley, and no way I'd use the same dr. as my first transplant as he's still doing the same procedure he did in the 80's.

I considered many surgeons, but two others very seriously; Griffin and Charles from Florida. I had a couple of Cooley's patients who don't post anymore much that I emailed; and their pics really blew me away. It's only a four hour drive there to him so I really felt good about that. His price seemed to me less expensive, although I got confused by a tech working for Griffin on the pricing. That's why I was interested in what it cost you.

I will need another one in a couple of years as well, maybe about 1700.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Did you meet with Dr. Cooley before the procedure or was it a long distance relationship until you showed up for surgery?

As for cost, I'd prefer not to disclose my exact cost here, but Dr. Griffin is in the neighborhood of $10k for 1,700. I hope that helps.

long distance. I met with Dr. Griffin a couple years back. Nice guy, too. I'm sure yours will look great too.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

In my opinion, selecting a first-rate physician is the most important thing. Therefore, no matter what price you are paying, at least you know, you will have a quality result when all is said and done.

It is true that some physicians charge more than others. 1700 grafts at approximately $10,000 is about $5.80 per graft which is slightly higher than what some charge and lower than what others charge.

If I am correct, Dr. Griffin's price breakdown is by session size as opposed to per graft. The advantage of this type of pricing system is in most cases, any extra grafts are placed at no charge in the event more is taken than anticipated. When converting this type of price breakdown to a price per graft, this often brings the cost slightly below what is considered the norm. The disadvantage is if a patient doesn't get extra grafts, the price is still the same as discussed, sometimes making the price per graft slightly above what would be considered the norm.

That being said, $5.80 per graft at only 1700 grafts is still in the average range of $4-$6.

zero, I look forward to seeing your result and hope you will keep us posted with monthly updates.

Bill

Bill, especially considering he could have gotten more grafts um lets say with Feller or Rahal who I believe charge a little above $3 dollars a graft. That would have given him at least 2500grafts with obviously more density for better coverage. He also would have gone to a top doctor. I think strip is competitive and that you should not pay over $5 dollars. Most docs will negotiate with you to a certain level and many times offer airfare reimbursement.

Thanks for the quick cost-benefit analysis Anouar, but insinuating that (1) I didn't go to a top doctor or that (2) I didn't pursue the best treatment option for my goals, budget, and level of comfort with a given physician is just reckless speculation. I'm not sure what foundation you have for these claims, but it's clearly not a knowledge of me, Dr. Griffin, or the treatment plan we worked out. I just hope that your other posts aren't as full of haphazard criticism because you're doing forum visitors a great disservice if so.

Zero,

I don't think Anouar meant you didn't go to a top dr., but that other doctors who are at least on the same level as Dr. Griffin charge at a rate a little lower.

Even if Dr. Griffin is one of the top 5 surgeons in the world, he's a little higher than two others who are probably in that same top 5.

But, you went to a doctor 20 miles from your home so that has to be worth something in itself. I think you'll be happy. There is another poster here who went with Dr. Griffin, if you check the weblogs you can find his contact info. I corresponded with him while making my decision so he's a few months ahead of you.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Hi Dewayne,

It's possible he didn't mean that and I'm sure he'll chime in, but he did say if I had gone to someone else, then I would have rec'd more grafts and " also would have gone to a top doctor." It just seems like it's his conclusion that I didn't choose that route - maybe I read it wrong. Furthermore, I've never said how much I paid. The $/graft for my session can't be known. Lastly, Bill is correct that Dr. Griffin goes by session size and not graft count. We agreed on a level of coverage, not a number of grafts. I bought a result so let's see how it turns out.

Anyway, the point of this topic was for me to share my experience and pix with forum members, not to bicker. Getting back to that, I'm glad to contribute my little part to the collective knowledge here. I'll continue to post and I hope my future messages are helpful to others.

After you do your research, then feel comfortable you made the correct choice of doctors, you should ignore the negative comments that some of the posters make here. It's your head and your hair...eventually.

Hang in there!

bb

I do understand what Anouar is getting at regarding price. I also firmly believe he is trying to be helpful and not trying to rain on your parade.

I admit that I have a personal preference of going for larger sessions first when appropriate for the patient, but whether or not you go that route or work your way up gradually to achieve your goals is a personal choice between the physician and the patient. The good news is, you found an excellent surgeon who you can trust to help you meet your long term hair restoration goals.

I look forward to following your progress and hope you'll post your monthly progress pictures.

Best wishes,

Bill

Zero, I wasn't trying to be critical of how much you paid. That was based on what you said. I just feel that anything over $5 dollars a graft for strip is too much. This has nothing to do with the skills of your doctor. All I was saying is the degree of hairloss that you have, you could have gotten more bang out of your dollar giving you more coverage all the while going to a top doc. There is no mal intent on my part. I wish you well and apologize if I offended you.