2151 grafts from Dr Rahal

Hi,

The first comment about possible hairloss by a friend was in my late teens (now 27). Since then i have gone from Propecia to Dutasteride (Avodart) which has dramatically stabilised the loss. I now manage to conceal the loss with a fair amount of effort on styling but i am keen to get around this as it is time consuming and never ideal for a windy day!

After speaking to a variety of surgeons in the UK (some were notable cowboys) i decided to look abroad and through the HT network i found Dr Rahal after reading many positive reviews from past patients and adminastrators such as Bill.

So after online consultation with Dr Rahal's ever helpful customer relations person, Adrian, i decided to book for some temporal work in late Jan 2008.

I arrived at Dr R's early and first met with the very relaxed and friendly Adrian who had actually had surgery with Dr R only a year ago. His results were not short of outstanding - a great start!

I then met with the doctor to speak through my options and what hairline i wanted to achieved.

His team of technicians were extremely professional and quite reassuringly, were all female (the fairer sex have always had far more patience then me..!) - definetly no cowboys.

Surgery started at 9am and finished after 3.

Dr R went out of his way to accommodate me and once again showed his previously commented on good nature by offering to drive me back to my hotel through the 20cm snow storm and kindly took me down town to buy an mains adapter even though it was the opposite direction of his home. He even called me at my hotel room to check all was ok after just a couple of hours since dropping me off.

So now i'm relaxing in the "Albert at Bay" hotel that is a bit pricier than some hotels at $180 (inc tax) but perfect for the situation as all rooms are actually 3 or 4 rooms suites with sitting room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and so no chance of cabin fever as i hibernate until i fly home after 4 nights.

I ended up with 2151 grafts. Please follow my blog/photos at My HTN Blog

Any comments/questions are welcome.

Guest josh - b

genesis,

welcome and congratulations. The work looks outstanding as always from dr rahal.

I've recently changed my own plans and have booked in with dr rahal in may.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Do u know what density u got?

Looks great,

Be thankful with the degree of hairloss you have. It could be much worse. The work looks stellar as usual from Rahal.. You will be one happy camper in 12 months !!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Cheers Chucky, mrjb. It is through this great site that i managed to make a decision that i think was wise. I see you have experienced DHI and Norton - funnily enough i was within minutes of signing up with both at certain stages of the journey (although less so Norton - esp after googling that Billy the Kid of HT!). It is a shame there isnt a three strikes and you're out policy for those preforming below par.

You thinking of heading out the States/Canada for another go?

Josh - i will ask Dr R re: density and let you know.

Also - looking at my shots, i see i have a large boil/blood spot in each temple. Should i worry/need to do anything about these. I'm next seeing Dr R tomorrow... Thanks

Genesis,

Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed hair transplant experience. Dr. Rahal is clearly not only a great surgeon but a class act all around.

I look forward to following your progress on your hair loss weblog and hope to see your continued participation on our hair restoration forum.

Best wishes,

Bill

Genesis,

The results are awesome as to be expected from Dr. Rahal. Truly refined and clean.

I did notice in your blog that you stated that you had to somewhat twist the docs arm to give you the desired hairline. Obviously from that statement it was not his first choice for you. I hope that it will prove prudent to go against his initial instincts. I personally always like the idea of erroring on the conservative side as you can always lower in future. I hope that at 27 you have hairloss permanently stabalized. Dr. Rahal has the abilities of Dr. Armani and can definitely produce superior results but it is challenging to foresee the future. Best of luck with everything.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Cheers NN. Going to be a v long 6 months and dreaming of the summer with a strong hairline, the beach, the sun etc etc...

Good point on the hairline and just to clarify on the consultation ??“ after Dr R talked me through what is natural and said that he couldnt do the initial aggressive hairline i wanted due to what will/could happen in the future. So I let the good doc do his work (which took him half an hour and many redraws). I think he may have given a few mms on what he would normally do and looking at the pics, I think he was spot on.

I think my stabilization is good - currently on Avodart and have been for nearly 4 years. I use generic from unitedpharmacies.com which keeps the cost to a minimal. Without it i think my loss would be considerably more - i use quite thick wax on my hair and before using avodart i would always pull out many hairs when applying, now it is only 2 or 3. Further, I did stop using it in summer 06 and once it was out of the system after about 4 months, i saw really huge shedding and so quickly jumped back on it.

Quite remarkable stuff in my mind but i really hate to think what the side effects are. Thus the idea is to stop using it in a couple of years or so, suffer the hair loss while the hair line re-adjusts to where i'd be without it and then do a final HT in 5 years or so.

That's a great looking hairline. While it is perhaps low and nobody knows what the future holds, hopefully Propecia and Avodart will halt any future loss behind it.

I'd be careful getting off Avodart in the near future, though, as you will lose any of the gains it has provided you. At least stay on it until a successor comes along...

Again, great looking hairline - Dr. Rahal definitely does nice work!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog