Propecia and Rogaine

I posted this in the other forum and didnt' get much response. Actually none. I think this one gets more attention. I just started taking a full dose of Propecia as opposed to a half dose, been on Rogaine for about a year and a half. Is it ok to just kill the Rogaine use and let the Propecia do its job, or should I stay on the Rogaine? I should say one of them, if not both is definitely promoting growth or lack of loss in the crown. I just wondered if your taking Propecia, if there is anything an external drug like Rogaine can really contribute. I'm just a little sick of using it thats all. And my schedule makes it hard to get two doses a day on my head.

Matt 6:25-34

I posted this in the other forum and didnt' get much response. Actually none. I think this one gets more attention. I just started taking a full dose of Propecia as opposed to a half dose, been on Rogaine for about a year and a half. Is it ok to just kill the Rogaine use and let the Propecia do its job, or should I stay on the Rogaine? I should say one of them, if not both is definitely promoting growth or lack of loss in the crown. I just wondered if your taking Propecia, if there is anything an external drug like Rogaine can really contribute. I'm just a little sick of using it thats all. And my schedule makes it hard to get two doses a day on my head.

Matt 6:25-34

Hi JRod,

My opinion,

Kill the Rogaine for 6 months, see what happens. Dont stop Propecia, at least keep 1/2 strength dose going. Go back to the combo if needed after 6 months, Rogaine is not any help to me, where as Propecia made a big difference....but all guys differ.

Good Luck !

NW

JRod,

I began using 1/4 Proscar approximately 10 months before my HT and didn't even decide on the HT until month 6. I noticed it stopped the fall out I had been seeing on my pillow and it did thicken up some of the miniaturized hairs in my crown

After I scheduled the HT I began to use the Minoxidil for the 45 days before surgery at the suggestion of Dr Jones. It is supposed to increase circulation in the area of use and provide a better environment for the HT recipient site.

I am already back on one application of 5% Minox post HT and will continue to use it for approximately 60 days to help promote growth and MAYBE prevent shock loss.

I really don't think this stuff does much on its own for noticable results. I think it can have benefits if you're already on Proscar/Propecia, but on its own .... I feel you're wasting time, $$, and energy.

One last thing, I actually found that once the Minoxidil dried on my hair it actually gave it more texture. I've read a lot of guys complaining about how it makes their hair look and feel, however I found that once it dried it actually thickened me up a bit.

JRod....I had posted on my minoxidil situation before on this and another board. On the other board I received a few obnoxious responses from guys who absolutely swore by rogaine.

I had used rogaine specifically by itself at one time, in combination with propecia at one point in time, and am currently on propecia by itself. You're going to find that different guys react to each one differently both by themselves as well as in combination.

In my specific situation, when I stopped using rogaine, I experienced a GREAT deal of hair loss.... to the point where people were noticing and commenting in disbelief at how much hair I'd lost. You might be maintaining your hair as a result of either medication by itself, or it could be a combination which is best suited for you. Just be prepared for a scenario similar to mine. I'm not the only one who has ever lost a lot after getting off rogaine, and I certainly won't be the last.

My advice to you, and this is just my personal opinion, is that if your current combination is working well, then you should maintain whatever you're doing. I wouldnt' want to risk losing a ton of hair that I've worked so hard to keep.