dried up blood around hairs (new h/t)

i have several large blotches of dried blood around the implants which makes it very difficult to go out into public with the current look. what is one to do to clean the area's without risking dislodging the implants? was told not to wash hair for at least 7 days? does everyone experience the dried blood initially or did my doc just do a poor job of cleaning it? thanks in advance

i have several large blotches of dried blood around the implants which makes it very difficult to go out into public with the current look. what is one to do to clean the area's without risking dislodging the implants? was told not to wash hair for at least 7 days? does everyone experience the dried blood initially or did my doc just do a poor job of cleaning it? thanks in advance

Welcome, justme-

Who was your doc? You should be able to carefully rinse the scalp (without massaging it) the day after the HT with lukewarm water gently poured over your head from a cup. Since you've been told to wait a week, the scabbing is likely more of an issue since you've not been doing anything to help it along.

At days 7-10 you should be able to start washing your hair and massaging the scalp with your fingertips to aid in removing the scabs. Don't use your fingernails! At day 10, the grafts are considered seated and you should be able to rub more vigorously.

Any pics or info to share of the HT?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

i thought i was using doctor waldman from lexington ky but when i awoke from the sedation i realized he was no where around. i was informed they had techs fly in from california to do the cutting of hairs but it turns out they inplanted them also. i was given a $800.00(graftcyt) kit of sprays and gels to keep area moist and speed healing but am worried the lotions cannot penatrate thru the dried blood.

I'll second Hairbank's recos, personally I was taking lukewarm baths, lying on my back with the top of my head immersed for about ten minutes. In my case I used shampoo the next day without really rubbing, just patting it in. I am not familiar with Dr. Waldman, it is fairly common for the doc to only do the strip excision and the recipient site holes and to let the techs do the rest, placement, dissecting, etc ...

I am shocked you paid $ 800.00 for the grafcyte pack, I was quoted 250.00 but I turned it down.

Your scabbing is excessive. I would NOT touch the recipient area for 3-5 days. With the large area of scabs, you run the risk of pulling out your newly transplanted hair.

When a top Doc and staff use very small incisions, they are forced to continually keep your scalp clean. In addition, the incisions are so small that they often do not bleed as badly. This reduces scabbing and post-op redness.

I recommend you continually spray your graftcyte for 3-5 days and ONLY wash the area around your incision/staples.

Lean BACK in a chair and have someone wash along the staples using a back and forth motion.

After 3-5 days, I would start washing your head with lukewarm water, no direct shower spray, only using a cup to pour water onto your head.

After 8-10 days, I would then slowly ease yourself into the shower and then massage the recipient area with the pads of your fingers.

NO FINGERNAILS!!!!

Put some socks on your hands when you go to sleep, so you don't scratch your head.

I will attempt to find some info out about your doc in the meantime.

Welcome and Happy Healing!!!!

J

PS. This is an extension of what Hairbank posted!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

If I were you...

I would stick to Your Doctors orders. If something gets messed up, he may say... Sorry Charlie you didn't follow my instructions.

You could call and ask, verify if it's ok.

That being said, my Doc had me rinsing my hair gently with a cup at day 3 (no rubbing). He told me, Don't lay in the Tub. It's Not a sterile environment. He only wanted me to use clorinated water from the shower.

He gave the ok on tub soaking about day 8.

Regarding the blood clots (scabs)....

The size of the blade that the Doc uses does have a bearing on how much blood you end up with on your scalp.

However, it's not the only or biggest factor. The biggest factor is that the numbing fuild that is injected under your scalp also has a agent (i don't know the name of it) that sigificantly constricts the blood vessels in the scalp. This is what stops the blood from squirting out... with each poke of the blade.

Anyone that has lost a rooted graph knows what kind of blood comes out of the scalp with a single hole... without that vessel constricting fuild.

At the end of your proceedure... that agent may have been wearing off or it didn't properly constrict in all the areas of your scalp. This was a problem for me... for about the last 15 minutes.