Hairpiece use and HT

I am planning to have a HT done soon and wish to know the length of time I must avoid using my hairpiece.

My HT surgeon advises a 2 week period before I can start using it.

Informed opinios are very welcome in this context.

I am planning to have a HT done soon and wish to know the length of time I must avoid using my hairpiece.

My HT surgeon advises a 2 week period before I can start using it.

Informed opinios are very welcome in this context.

I, too, had a hairpiece -- burned the pecker a few months ago!

If you use adhesives, I would highly suggest waiting more than 2 weeks for any adhesive near recipient sites. I think 3+ weeks is more like it.

Instead of full adhesive, like I used to do, I sewed in hair clips to the back and sides, and put a very narrow slit of glue on the front edge, and that did not touch where the FUs were inserted.

The whole thing about timing for the transition was the worst part of the process for me.

Even tho my new hair had just started to grow in, I said 'frig it' and figured this was a new beginning and tossed out the hairpiece for good.

I can promise you that it's one of the best feelings in the world to get rid of that thing.

BUT- you do not want to be in the same boat as so many others on this site by going to the wrong doc, and end up with a bad job.

Please see my link below for pointers on how to get the right guy to do it -- there are truly only a handful that you should go to.

Click for - My Pix, and Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling, and healing.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/mentor/mentor_profile.asp?Mentor=Joecifus

Thanks for the info.

I already use one with clips and tape on the front.I will use it without the front end tape.

I guess then 10 days of waiting period may be O.K.

Expert opinion appreciated.

It is brave of you to thow away your hairpiece so soon.I am sort of a public person and suddenly a bald head would be a problem.

I am planning to throw this hairpiece once I have my hair have grown long enough.

In the meantime pls educate me to how to use hairpiece without disturbing the results of HT.

Reg. selecting a HT surgeon I have selected a Board certified surgeon after a lot of research.I hope my experince turns out to be good.

It is brave of you to throw away your hairpiece so soon.I am sort of a public person and suddenly a bald head would be a problem.

I am planning to throw this hairpiece once I have my hair have grown long enough.

In the meantime pls educate me to how to use hairpiece without disturbing the results of HT.

Reg. selecting a HT surgeon I have selected a Board certified surgeon after a lot of research.I hope my experince turns out to be good.

I have been wearing one for 8 years through 4 surgeries and it is very diificult in one aspect and very fortunate in others.

First, we don't have to worry about shock loss and looking thin after surgery and explaining this to someone.

I would not have any glue or tape touching anything for at least a month.

How do you wear it, is it a full piece?

Thanks very much hairseeker.

I use a full piece covering almost all the head using front tape and clips.

What is the bad aspect of using the hairpiece after having HT?Does it affect the results or it causes too much itching?What else.

Evan if I use a baseball cap it can itch too and it would touch the grafts also.So what is the best option,pls explain.

Thanks in advance.

if i ever wear a piece someone please assasinate me. I have yet to see one that isn't obvious a mile away. Anyone get a chuckle out of Senator Trafficant?, Looked like he had a siberian husky on his head, wonder if his new life partner is cool w/ it?

If you're in the public eye - take a lead from Ron Ensona(sp?) from MSN $ report. I watched him and his gang for years. Then, one day - out of the blue - he showed up without a piece.

The guys ribbed him for a few days, then everyone forgot about it.

It was about the same with me - I was completely bald underneath and had more hair than Elvis at 16 on top (or so it felt with a new wig). Anyhow, I tossed mine after my new HT started to grow. There was a noticable differemce. But, after seeing each person (I told some I shaved it all off, closer people I told it was a HT), they completely forgot about it after the 2nd or 3rd time they've seen me.

Just jump in.

If you are newly transplanted, you may want to wait. All of the new hair will fall out and start to grow in 2-3 months.

Click for - My Pix, and Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling, and healing.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/mentor/mentor_profile.asp?Mentor=Joecifus

I have been using a small filler hair piece on and off for over 15 years...I am very specific in the way they are designed (custom and made on the premisies)for the very reason you are concerned about..stress on the exsistng hair. There are some very gentle snap clips that can be sewn on. These are less stressful than the little combs with teeth...please note that the combs with teeth come in sizes and I prefer the tiny ones (which sometimes have to be ordered but the hair place can do it if you insist).I also am in the public quite a bit and do presentations at conferences so I am very concerned about the way the piece looks and being secure... I often where sun or reading glasses on top of my hair to hold the piece down (I don't need glasses--this works well and people just think you're smarter)so most of the time I don't use the front clip. Dress casual and try snug fitting sunglasses on you head for a few weeks if that works for you.If you'd like, I can see if I can find out who can order the snap clips for you...good luck!!!

gone today...hair tomorrow...

gone today...hair tomorrow...

noreaster,

I don't laugh out loud often, especially home by myself, but I laughed so hard at the "assassination" comment that I had to get up from my computer. It reminded me of the recent story about the guy who had the huge drill go through his head and it didn't kill him. They said when he was in the hospital with the drill still in his head that he was laughing and cracking jokes. A friend of mine told me if he walked into a hospital and saw a guy with a drill in his head laughing and telling jokes, he'd self diagnose schizophrenia and leap from the first window to his death.

I feel the same way about hairpieces, but a lot of guys wear them, and I don't want to say anything bad because I'm sure it makes them feel good. My boss wears one, and he jokes about it all the time, and he just says that without it he looks ridiculous - no comment.

Good luck.

Manko

what i do for a living someone wearing a piece looses 50% of his credibility the first thirty seconds he walks in the room. The rest is spent in the next 30 talking about his success in the old days. In my experience this person/s had no business being in charge and leading other people, as he lost most everyones respect quickly, and made dickhead decisions for the next 2 months before he was excised

I have been wearing apiece for 8 years and I have to say it was the worst decision ever in my life. I have had so many terrible and humiliating experiences with it.

I only wore a full system(no doubt the one you're referring to) for 3 years and all the other years were orange sized in the back of my grafts which you would have never noticed.

I would recommend everyone who wears the full system to the from hairline to get the one third of your head transplanted and wear the mini system in the back.

Noreaster its not for everyone I agree.

[This message was edited by hairseeker on September 10, 2003 at 08:53 AM.]