Finally my 1st Post!

Hello everyone,

I am definitely not new to this forum. I have been a lurker and a learner for quite some time. I just finally created a webblog with a couple of pre-op pics.

After years of research, 3 consultations with 3 different docs and combing through tons of posts on this forum, I've decided to have an HT with Dr. Feller on August 1st, 2008.

There are way too many people to shout out in this forum group that have helped me to learn and have provided inspiration and motivation. It is such a comfort to hear people going through the same thing as me. Thank you so much to everyone.

I have a couple of pre-op pics in my webblog, but will add more the day of my surgery on August 1st and will track my progress through pics and entries in the months that follow

Special shout out to Bill, Spex, and Dr. Feller icon_smile.gif

Hello everyone,

I am definitely not new to this forum. I have been a lurker and a learner for quite some time. I just finally created a webblog with a couple of pre-op pics.

After years of research, 3 consultations with 3 different docs and combing through tons of posts on this forum, I've decided to have an HT with Dr. Feller on August 1st, 2008.

There are way too many people to shout out in this forum group that have helped me to learn and have provided inspiration and motivation. It is such a comfort to hear people going through the same thing as me. Thank you so much to everyone.

I have a couple of pre-op pics in my webblog, but will add more the day of my surgery on August 1st and will track my progress through pics and entries in the months that follow

Special shout out to Bill, Spex, and Dr. Feller icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Crown Royal,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on making a well thought out choice and for sharing it.

I see from your pre op photo on your blog that the dermatch was probably not enhancing your crown area enough to disguise your hair loss. No doubt an extra 3000 grafts will make a real difference. You may even be able to retire the dermatch entirely.

I'm glad to hear you are on Propecia to stabilize your hair loss.

We will all look forward to following your progress during and after your surgery.

Welcome in advance to the Real "Hair Club".

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Crown Royal,

It's been nice speaking with you privately and I'm glad to see that you finally took the plunge in not only joining the real "hair club" but making your first public appearance on this forum.

I'm also glad to see that this community has helped you in your research and now I hope we can be a continual encouragement to you as you journey into a new head of hair.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Pat & Bill,

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I hope I can ditch the Dermatch after 3000+ grafts in the crown, but I don't want to set my expectations too high.

Believe it or not, I can disguise everything fairly well with dermatch. Nobody ever makes any comments (maybe they are just being nice), but it's just an annoyance to do everyday and to have to watch wear I put my head and to always use a black pillowcase :-)

Even if I still need to use a little dermatch a year after surgery, I won't be too dissapointed. Like I said, I expect more loss and possibly another procedure or two down the road. I look at this as just a big step 1 in my journey to have more hair (assuming my donor supply is good enough)

One concern that I wanted to toss out to the group. I notice that after a haircut (usually get a fade with a 1.5 in the back and sides) that the hair in the far posterior part lower down seems a little thin. There is enough hair to cover, but it seems like the future may hold a possible horseshoe down there. I hope not! It just seems that it is a little thin right where the possible donor strip would be taken from. Should I suggest to the doctor if he can take the strip lower, where the hair will definitely be thicker or will some docs not go too low?

I'm just a bit nervous about that because I don't want the donor strip to be taken from a place that may be on the way to balding. Sorry for writing so much, just wondering the groups thoughts on this.

I will try to put up a pic in my webblog soon to illustrate if I can

crown royal,

Welcome! I have a similar pattern of hairloss as you. I am scheduled to to to Rahal on July 29th. Maybe we can monitor our progress together. I have already had one small procedure over a year ago but not nearly enough to matter.

This was the result of not doing as much research. I feel better this time around.

Good Luck to you!

justgrow,

Thanks for the reply. We are about 3 days apart on our surgeries. I think that would be great to track our progress together.

How many grafts are you getting? Would you be able to put up any pics or create a webblog to show some pre-op pics? Let's stay in touch.

Do you think 3000 grafts will be good coverage for the amount of loss that I have? Just curious to hear peoples opinions on that because I think 3000 should be a significant improvement, but don't want to expect too much only to be let down. I also realize that I won't really see the final result until at least a year after surgery as the crown is slower to grow in.

Dr. Feller suggested a dense pack to the anterior most part of the loss. I would love to cover the whole area as much as possible, but not sure if 3000 is enough to dense pack the whole area.

Crown,

Your physician will only take hair from the "safe zone" which is right on the occipital bump which is below the area where you will experience any hair loss.

I do recommend however, to help preserve existing hair, that if you aren't already on it, considering getting on Propecia (finasteride) or 1/4 Proscar pill per day which also contains finasteride but is less expensive.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey crown royal

I had very similar work done on my own crown with Dr Feller in november 2007 , please check out my blog for some cracking pics of what to expect , by august I will be 9 months out so a fair head start hahahahaha see what i did there ? hahaha

Try not to worry about anything as Dr Feller is one of the worlds best .

You mentioned your scar , well Dr Feller has written extensivaly about the subject here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=145612

and here

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...861/m/1951080673/p/2

As for the amout of grafts , I measured across my bald crowns , I had a double crown , then used the mathatical formula , pie times radius squared to work out the area in centimeters , then I divided that by the number of grafts quoted to find out my finished density per centimeter sqaured , anything over 60 grafts per centimmeter sqaured is good and dense .

I also agree with Bill and think the meds are a good idear , check out this link to see my own med progess with goo clear shots

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=148052

Justgrow , you also have made a very good choice in surgeon , good luck to you both in july and august

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Hey guys, I have been on propecia for about 3 years now. I used to take 1 a day, but now I take 1/2 a pill everyday to save money. I will continue this regiment even after surgery.

Richie, I had been following your blog since you had work done in the crown by Dr. Feller. I have been tracking your progress so far and all looks good for you. Anxious to see your future pics.

I am also anxious to see more pics from King Crown as his pattern of loss seems very similiar to mine

Richie, do you have any pics with your hair cut short of your scar after 6 months? I'm very curious to see how evident the scar is. I usually wear my hair in the back and sides cut down to a 1.5 razor which is pretty short. I imagine that I will not be able to do that anymore after the HT. What is the lowest razor cut at the barber one can go without the scar line being evident? With time, does the scar get much less evident? I imagine that I will not be able to go lower than a 2.5 or 3 guard in the back or sides anymore after the HT

Any input will be much welcomed

P.S. - I just checked in the mirror looking at the back of my head and I think it still looks like I could be in the "safe zone" if the donor comes directly above the "bump"

very close to the possible future "danger zone" though

Good Morning CR,

Dr. Rahal estimated I would need about 2500 to 3000 in my crown area. He said he may refine my hairline as well. I would like to think that 3000 for you would make a BIG difference.

I have also been following King Crowns blog and I would like to see some updates. His pics after surgery seem to show excellent coverage.

I have been on propecia for just over a year now. Have you noticed any difference in appearance of yor hair since splitting your pills?

Richie, Your post op pics look very clean! Your

results IMO look great for about 5 months. Feller is awsome. I hope I get some great results from Rahal. the area you had transplanted looks nice even when the rest or your head was shaved down.

justgrow,

I haven't noticed any difference since splitting the propecia pills in half. I still feel that taking half a pill a day is helping to stabilize.

I'm sure it's not nearly as effective though as taking the recommended 1 full pill each day