Scar Treatment - Bio Oil?

Hi There,

I have just started treating my donor scar with Bio Oil, I have read a lot of good reviews about this stuff in regards its help in reducing the appearance of scars.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it would have a detrimental effect on the existing hairs that surround the scar? I hope there is someone here who could help with this question as I don't want to cause any harm to my existing hairs by using the oil.

It is a oil and here is its full list of ingredients:

Paraffinum Liquidum,Triisononanoin,Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate,Isopropyl Myristate, Retinyl Palmitate,Tocopheryl Acetate,Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil,Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil),Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf OilCalendula Officinalis Flower Extract,Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil,Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil,BHT ,Bisabolol,Parfum,Amyl Cinnamal,Benzyl Salicylate,Citronellol,Coumarin,Eugenol,Geraniol,Hydroxycitronellal,Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde,Limonene,Linalool,Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone,CI 26100

Thanks.

Hi There,

I have just started treating my donor scar with Bio Oil, I have read a lot of good reviews about this stuff in regards its help in reducing the appearance of scars.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it would have a detrimental effect on the existing hairs that surround the scar? I hope there is someone here who could help with this question as I don't want to cause any harm to my existing hairs by using the oil.

It is a oil and here is its full list of ingredients:

Paraffinum Liquidum,Triisononanoin,Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate,Isopropyl Myristate, Retinyl Palmitate,Tocopheryl Acetate,Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil,Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil),Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf OilCalendula Officinalis Flower Extract,Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil,Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil,BHT ,Bisabolol,Parfum,Amyl Cinnamal,Benzyl Salicylate,Citronellol,Coumarin,Eugenol,Geraniol,Hydroxycitronellal,Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde,Limonene,Linalool,Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone,CI 26100

Thanks.

I don't think anything you put on your scar will make a big difference. If the scar is too dry, perhaps try aloe vera, vaseline, moisterizing cream..

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I asked have this question already, and the response by the experienced ones was that time is the best healer. I have read some encouraging data about copper peptides in the treatment of damaged tissue (and I personally use folligen)and "underhat" you may consider that option if you so desire.

take care...

We recommend massage 3 times a day for a minute before meals; and vitamin E oil or mederma.

The key is usually the closure, not the scar care. If you are destined to get a bad scar due to a really tight skin closure with one layer, all the lotions and potions in the world aren't going to help. If you have a good closure, they sure may help; particularly if you have had scar problems before.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

We recommend massage 3 times a day for a minute before meals; and vitamin E oil or mederma.

The key is usually the closure, not the scar care. If you are destined to get a bad scar due to a really tight skin closure with one layer, all the lotions and potions in the world aren't going to help. If you have a good closure, they sure may help; particularly if you have had scar problems before.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Dr. Lindsey,

At what point in time, post surgery, do you recommend the scar massage? I was always under the impression that manipulating this scar could cause it to stretch.

Also, do you recommend massaging the recipient area?

Thank you.

At what point in time, post surgery, do you recommend the scar massage? I was always under the impression that manipulating this scar could cause it to stretch.

Also, do you recommend massaging the recipient area?

Good questions Under Construction, though I don't think one should massage the recepient area.

Perhaps the massaging of the scar should take place 10-12 days from the date of surgery; at this point the metal staples should be taken out by then.

take care...

Originally posted by mmhce:

I asked have this question already, and the response by the experienced ones was that time is the best healer. I have read some encouraging data about copper peptides in the treatment of damaged tissue (and I personally use folligen)and "underhat" you may consider that option if you so desire.

Thanks mmhce I missed this respons initially, I'm pretty sold on Bio Oil for the time being, I just needed to know if the Oil could potentially damage existing hairs around the donor area where I apply the Oil.

I will do some research on folligen, thanks for the tip.