worried hair transplant patient!

I just had my first hair tranplant surgery and have no swelling and minimal scaring. I had 650 grafts relocated(micro-graft method non microscope) ~at a high price and was charged by balding area/size rather than by number of grafts relocated!Is that infact accurate for my first surgery???????

My doctor had mentioned that I have a good donor area and can withstand several surgeries.If this is correct,couldn't he have move more hair to the balding region?

Also,you folks had mentioned no heavy workouts or swimming for at least four weeks.Is it safe to say,the longer you wait,the better the outcome?

[This message was edited by solid on August 30, 2003 at 07:23 PM.]

[This message was edited by solid on August 31, 2003 at 04:38 PM.]

I just had my first hair tranplant surgery and have no swelling and minimal scaring. I had 650 grafts relocated(micro-graft method non microscope) ~at a high price and was charged by balding area/size rather than by number of grafts relocated!Is that infact accurate for my first surgery???????

My doctor had mentioned that I have a good donor area and can withstand several surgeries.If this is correct,couldn't he have move more hair to the balding region?

Also,you folks had mentioned no heavy workouts or swimming for at least four weeks.Is it safe to say,the longer you wait,the better the outcome?

[This message was edited by solid on August 30, 2003 at 07:23 PM.]

[This message was edited by solid on August 31, 2003 at 04:38 PM.]

solid,

a lot of good doctors recommended here also charge by areas and not by number of grafts..

about moving more grafts, did you ask for it and he said he cannot do it? one thing they need is staff to perform big sessions.. or he might have thought he didnt want to scare you away by quoting a higher price for large session, it could be anything...

i dont think it is true that the longer you wait the better results are going to be.. i leave this question to those who had HT done.. i am planning to put away my workouts,etc. for atleast 3-4 weeks.

do a lot of reading on this website, you will learn a lot.. and you can give back teh knowledge to other newbies, like i am doing now icon_wink.gif

Signature:Please click here to vote for the doctor you would go to if you needed a hair transplantation today!

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

Solid

Florida certainly has no shortage of outstanding HT doctors, and I would recommend researching several if you decide to go for another procedure.

Here is a list of those recommended on this site: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/hair_transplant_clinic/search_results.asp?StateABR=FL

You didn't say exactly were in Florida you are, but I know there are great doctors in both Tampa and Miami. I went to Dr. Paul Rose in Tampa, and I think he did an outstanding job. I am just now about three weeks out, so it's too early to see the final results, but I was very happy with my experience during the operation, and now that I have healed, I can see that I will have an almost undetectable scar line, and it is completely impossible to tell which hairs are native and which are transplanted... and I study my own head more than anyone!

As for working out, I run and lift regularly. I waited a full two weeks after my HT. Dr. Rose's post-op instructions say to wait at least 10 days before resuming any strenuous exercise.

Tedd

I sincerely appreciate all of you that had answered my questions~I can't begin to thank you folks enough.Please feel free to give any additional advise that you may have.

Thank you soooooo much!

Good luck to all!!!!!!!!

[This message was edited by solid on August 27, 2003 at 05:37 PM.]

Read the article Best_hair_transplant_procedure to learn why microscopically-dissected FU grafts are cosmetically superior to Minigrafts.

Minigrafts are not as an efficient use of your limited donor supply. There is a mathematical basis for this, which I can get into if you want to.

Minigrafts also can sometimes look pluggy. They have more excess tissue than a true microscopically-dissected FU graft. The excess tissue can compress during healing, leading to a tufty look. The excess tissue can also be a factor in cobblestoning (bumpy scalp). Minigrafts can look as if the hair follicles are emerging from a skin graft, whereas a proper FU graft (with no excess tissue, a microscopically dissected FU) tends to look as if it is emerging from virgin scalp.

As far as 650 grafts go, they will not go very very far. It takes thousands of grafts to cover a large area.

I disagree with PD that doctors charge by the area. My experience is that the better doctors charge by the graft, not by the area. I've never heard of a doctor charging per area, until now.

arfy,

Atleast one doctor in recommended list on this website charges by area. (frontal, midscalp, etc.)

I had a consultation with one of them. I personally liked him... His claim is that he never looked at HT that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Minigrafts are not as an efficient use of your limited donor supply. There is a mathematical basis for this, which I can get into if you want to.

Could you explain the "mathematical basis" for me please ?? icon_smile.gif

Thank you.

Signature:Please click here to vote for the doctor you would go to if you needed a hair transplantation today!

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

Since you're in FL, I did mine with Dr. Epstein in Miami, and am thrilled with the results so far (3 weeks from second surgery).

15 days was way more than enough time for strenuous work for me. But, I had FUs, and so should everyone!

If you need another procedure, be sure to check into other docs. Follow my checklist in the profile below, and you can't go wrong with the 6-10 docs who qualify.

Click for - My Pix, and Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling, and healing.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/mentor/mentor_profile.asp?Mentor=Joecifus

PD

I've never heard of doctors charging "per area" so I am curious which recommended doctor does this?

As far as the mathematical basis for recommending all-FU transplants, take a look at the article The Logic of Follicular Unit Transplantation written by Dr. Rassman and Dr. Bernstein of NHI. You probably know that NHI were early adopters of the all-FU transplant. That article gives some scientific reasoning behind the all-FU approach.

My own "thumbnail" explanation is that there is a limited amount of donor hair, and often a large area that needs to be covered. By using all FUs, more grafts will be available to cover a larger area. By combining FUs (like Minigrafts do) you reduce the number of available grafts. Since a guy can lose 50% of his hair and still have the visual appearnance of fullness, it is unnecessary to plant Minigrafts which still have the original follicle spacings of the donor area. It is more efficient to break the donor area into individual FUs, because it is unnecessary to exceed 50% density, and when you do exceed 50% density, you increase the risk of depleting the donor area before covering the entire balding area.

That's is just MY interpretation of the article, and I may not be explaining it very well (or 100% accurately). I encourage you to read the entire article, especially if you aren't completely sure why FU grafts are superior to Minigrafts. An especially relevant section is "A Mathematical Look at Balding" (about halfway into the article):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A Mathematical Look at Balding

To put things in perspective, let's look at some aspects of the balding process mathematically.7 The normal hair density is approximately 2 hairs/mm2 or one follicular group/ mm2. The average person can loose 50% of his hair population without being detectably thin. That means that one needs to restore only one follicular unit every 2 mm2 in the hairline for a person's density to appear normal from a frontal view. In areas behind the hairline, where layering of the hair can add value, significantly less than 50% of the original density may suffice to produce fullness. For example, with modest styling considerations, significantly less than 1/8th of the original density can appear to look full if placed behind a well constructed hairline.

In a typical patient with 50,000 follicular units on his scalp, the permanent donor area represents approximately 25% of this total number, or 12,500 units, with the remaining 37,500 at risk to be lost. Of the 12,500 units in the donor area, approximately half are available for harvesting (i.e. 6,250). We therefore have a total of 6,250 units to cover an area that originally had 37,500. We thus can replace only one sixth (6,250/37,500) of what we had to begin with. There are many creative ways to distribute the grafts so that the transplant has the appearance of being much fuller (see reference 7), but the point is that combining units to create more density is not one of them. This will only make the ratios worse.

For example, if we use only individual follicular units, the average spacing between units, once they have been transplanted into the recipient area, is six times further apart than their original spacing in the donor area (or six times further apart than in the pre-balding scalp). If we were to combine follicular units, i.e. combine three units into one, then the spacing increases to eighteen times as much. Visualizing the transplant process in this way, one can easily see that there is no logic in combining grafts to give more density. It only results in larger spaces, but never more hair. Fortunately, the patient with the thin looking donor area, will look appropriately balanced and natural with a thin looking transplant. The surgeon should promise no more.

Now that we realize that we can't combine grafts to produce more fullness, how can we use the follicular constant to design the transplant and maximize the cosmetic impact? The issue is always one of long-term planning. Unfortunately, the patient doesn't usually present with the final balding pattern. Therefore, when transplanting a patient early on, the density and distribution must be similar to how we would have transplanted him if he were further along in the process. Thus, if a patient has temporal recession at age 25, we shouldn't give him any more density in this area than we would if he were 45. If we do, then when he is forty-five he will look unnatural.

Here is where an understanding of the follicular density comes in handy. If we have only one sixth the follicular density overall to work with and we want to use 1???????2 the donor density in a certain area (i.e. 3x the average), then we can only use 1/18 the donor density (1/3 the average) in another area (given that these areas are of equal size) or we will run out of hair. For example, if we plan to eventually replace 50% of the patient's original density in the forelock area, then some other region of the scalp must "give." This might be accomplished by transplanting less on top of the scalp or transplanting the crown very lightly, or not at all. In the example of the 25 year-old above, if we decide that the final density of the lateral aspects of the frontal hairline should be only 1???????2 the density of the central "forelock," then once we achieve this density, we must resist transplanting additional hair in that area, or the long-term distribution will be inappropriate.

The same would apply to the early treatment of the crown. If a patient presents with only crown balding, but because of his density, age, or family history he is expected to be very bald, one must place a limit on how much hair should be placed in this area. For example, it we assume that when he is completely bald and totally transplanted, the crown should have a density that is no greater than 1/20 the density of the donor area, then that is all that should be placed from the outset. Too often, a young patient, with a small area of balding is "packed" with hair to approximate the surrounding density and then later on he is left with a distribution so unnatural it can not be repaired.

Arfy-yes I did thank you!

I look forward to recieving this procedure after my healing process!

[This message was edited by solid on September 02, 2003 at 09:17 AM.]

Ted and arfy-thank you gentlemen for you insightfulness and expertise.

I believe the better question for you folks might be that I had micro graft procedure with out the doctor using microscope(wrong I know).Will this give a natural apperance until I can get a Fue/Fit procedure by a top doc?

Not using miscroscopic dissection creates two problems. For one, you run the risk of inadvertantly transecting, and therefore killing, otherwise viable FUs. Secondly, excess tissue is retained around the follicle, which creates crowding in the transplant area. This can degrade the natural appearance of the transplant. Less tissue, while still maintaining enough for the follicle to survive, assures the best possible look. This is hard to acheive without microscopes.

I would be concerned if you received Minigrafts, especially if you got a whole lot of them. They are worse than Micrografts.

Micrografts don't have to be bad, it's just that the microscope does improve the process. It increases total graft yields, and it reduces excess tissue on grafts.

Are you totally screwed if you got extensive Micrografting? Not necessarily. But you can do better next time, maybe even MUCH better, depending on how good your Micrografts turn out.

there is a guy Bverotti who posts here, who had all Micrografts about 2 years ago. He said he was happy with his results and that it looked nice. However, he recently had an all-FU transplant, and I believe he is sold on FU grafts now.

Micrografts don't necessarily suck, but they are not the best. You deserve the best, I think everyone does. The best doesn't mean more expensive, a lot of times it is LESS expensive.

Hopefully you will find your results pleasing. Keep researching this topic, and you will quite possibly opt for FUs next time. The logic behind them is convincing.

Look at the "Hair_transplant_news_articles" section for some scientific articles on the topic.

Arfy/ted-my hair transplant brothers icon_wink.gif.Thanks again for the support and the info,I'm treating for beers if all comes at well! icon_cool.gif

Tacco where you been?your on the team as well!

:0)I got my stiches out today and all is well.My doctor is really cool and wants to see me in two months.He also mentioned to look into other docs but I'm not certain if I sold him on the fue/fit procedure.I believe the micros will look good at this time until I get an fue/fit.My doctor also used a conservative approach regarding cost and transplant location.

Although,upon reading the information in this post ,your advice,talking to different doctors and members on this board;I will be getting an fu next time.I am also scheduling an appointment with Doctor Charles in two monthsin addittion to my doctor to see what my options maybe.

.......may time be the best and on all our sides!

[This message was edited by solid on September 03, 2003 at 06:54 PM.]

Solid-

Hey waddabout me? I'm thirsty as heck.

Anyhow, be sure to open up your choices to other docs as well for your follow up. In my mentor page (link below) there is a list of criterion that your doc should match. DO NOT make travel distance an issue at all, and be sure to include the docs from the IAHRS association.

Click for - My Pix, and Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling, and healing.

Thanks, I was dyin' over here. Needa beer bad.

Dr. Epstein was one of a very few who made it to my final list of HT docs I would even consider. You may see my updated doctor checklist on my link below. Each of the factors on the list are crucial in choosing a good doc, and when you use it, you can't go wrong.

Besides the list, I also chose him cause he specialized in dark haired individuals (he worked with a lot of Latinos in Miami), and his practice background and current side practice is in facial plastic surgery.

arfy, thanks for the information, i was away for a while..

PD

I also asked Ted this but do you guz actually believe the HT is worth it?-time off from work,athletic activites,finacially(is it a rich guys procedure)?In retrospect,what some men take for granted,other men dream of and modern medicine/science has put a price tag on!Is this right?

:0)For the money I spent,I could remodel my home,put in a pool,gone on vacation, or maybe move to another location/home.Am I going about this the right way?Does the benefits/outcome outweigh the cost.I'm just alittle worried that this will turn out because I recieve a micro ht instead of the latest Fu procedure.Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks

[This message was edited by solid on September 09, 2003 at 06:17 AM.]

Solid....

I think everyone has their own personal reasons for why they did or didn't have an HT done...and those reasons will vary from person to person. I didn't want anyone to know about my HT, and scheduling another HT would take up 2 of my weeks of vacation for next year. As far as money is concerned, I definitely can't afford to have as many HT's as I would want. That money can be better spent or saved elsewhere.

For me though, the money and time invested will be well worth it. Losing my hair was just a steadily downhill decline to my confidence and self-esteem. I guess for me, those 2 things were my motivation. What good would those thousands of dollars be if I had to feel like shit every time another girl would talk to me and her eyes go straight up to my scalp instead of looking into my eyes. I'm not even 6 months post-op, and things are already much better. Life feels better and more worthwhile. I know my confidence is much better because it's reflected in how people now perceive me. I don't get the eyes to the scalp anymore, I get more looks from women not necessarily because of more hair, but also because of confidence. People in general treat me differently.

Other guys have many other reasons. I don't think my reason was a vanity reason, it had to do more with self-perception and esteem. Bald men can function quite well in society, I just feel that I would function better with hair. I guess everyone needs to sit down and figure out exactly why they want the HT and decide what's the best course for them. Perhaps that money would be better spent on therapy? Maybe new furniture or paying off a car loan. In my case, I honestly believe this will be one of the best investments/decisions that I will have made in my life.