Need Comments on a Dr.

Rico

I can be a really abrasive guy, but I have done a pretty good job of refraining myself on public forums such as this one, until now --

Don't be a DUMB ASS!

Don't ask for doctor recommendations. Don't go see doctors for consultations.

Sit your ass down in front of your computer FOR AT LEAST 20 HOURS and READ, READ, READ, and READ the posts made to this site. Then take about 5 more hours and read the "Research Library" area that can be accessed from the home page of this site.

THEN, if you still believe you are a candidate for an HT, and you still want some input about which doctors you should consult, THEN post an inquiry.

Until you have spent the time R E A D I N G, you wont even know what questions you should be asking a doctor.

You are VERY FORTUNATE that you found this site. Now, take advantage of it!

See ya in about a week.

Rico - You seem to be someone who see a problem and want to fix it right away. I really admire your take charge attitude but this attitude is going to do you some real harm. There are doctors that prey on just this. They know just exactly what you want to hear. They've seen guys just like you many times and have perfected how to get you. Slow down. You've lucky that you have veterans of HT on this board that want to help you. JRP65 is right. You need to better understand the subject. Don't have anything done until you research the hell out of this and taken some time to step away from the problem. Has Propecia stopped the loss?

There is a lot of good information here. If you need to talk to someone create a temp hotmail account and post the email address. DON'T MAKE A BIG MISTAKE.

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my messages. Like most, the thought of going bald is very traumatic to me. I realize that as a result of my age I am very naive on the subject. But after researching different methods of hair loss remedies. Propecia is the best way for me to go. The problem I face now is what can I do to restore the hair I have already lost. I am only 23 and I feel very self-conscious about the way my hair looks. I just want to do something that is going to make a difference. Thanks again.

Rico - Great. Stay on the Propecia. I think you are looking to regain every hair you had a few years ago. This is not possible at this time. No HT will give you this. Maybe someday (10 years?) they will clone hair and then transplant that. Hair loss is a billion dollar industry so who knows what will replace Propecia. Time is on your side. In five or ten years hair loss may be less of an issue to you as your friends begin losing their hair as well. Ten years is a very short time. When you are 33 who know what will be available and you will have a virgin head.

As I stated I had a bad job in 1989. I realized that if the hair behind it fell out behind the plugs I would be in much worse shape. I got on Minoxidil (later became Rogaine). I did not have money for a couch or TV but always had Minoxidil in the medicine cabinet. Not sure how effective it was but my hair loss hasn't progressed much. These drugs don't stop the loss in everyone but you have nothing to loose.

Thanks for posting a follow-up. I was worried you were going to do something stupid. If I may add my 2 cents: Concentrate on getting in shape or work on getting a great job. These will help you not dwell on your hair loss.

Rico --

You are not naive because of your AGE. You're naive because you haven't READ through this site yet. I'm 46 years old and I was as naive as you 4 months ago when I stumbled onto this site.

Your statement that "Propecia is the best way for me to go," leads me to believe that you still don't get it. My point is that you don't know enough right now to make an informed determination as to the best way to go.

I'm not discouraging you from getting a HT, nor am I encouraging you to do so. I'm simply advising you to spend a lot of time educating yourself so that you are aware of all the options available to you and have a feel for the risks and rewards associated with each of your options. Only then can you make an intelligent decision. There are many, many, many subtle issues that come into play in deciding what approach to take.

BTW, many posters see your age and will automatically conclude that you are too young and should not get a HT at this time. I can think of circumstances, however, where IMO getting a HT at your age might be supportable or even advisable.