My Hair loss - please give suggestions

Hello everyone. First of all, you guys are great and are running a very helpful site on hair transplants. Kudos to Pat for creating such a informative database.

As you can see my hair loss situation ain't pretty. Started losing hair at around 20 and its hasn't looked back! Looking for some suggestions regarding the situation. I have used rogaine but with limited success.

6491098703_AFF2B2E8E197F5D169FA769ED1E095EE.JPG.thumb 5491098703_1C336844CA93C704C8FB7DDC9035BEAD.JPG.thumb 4491098703_0927A55FFCC134968FAD29AD281C8837.JPG.thumb 3491098703_250279115A0E529EB9F0C81DF78F805C.JPG.thumb

Hello everyone. First of all, you guys are great and are running a very helpful site on hair transplants. Kudos to Pat for creating such a informative database.

As you can see my hair loss situation ain't pretty. Started losing hair at around 20 and its hasn't looked back! Looking for some suggestions regarding the situation. I have used rogaine but with limited success.

6491098703_AFF2B2E8E197F5D169FA769ED1E095EE.JPG.thumb 5491098703_1C336844CA93C704C8FB7DDC9035BEAD.JPG.thumb 4491098703_0927A55FFCC134968FAD29AD281C8837.JPG.thumb 3491098703_250279115A0E529EB9F0C81DF78F805C.JPG.thumb

Hello Goodtogo and welcome to the forums.

Firstly, how old are you now? From your pictures, you look like you may be on the road to becoming an Norwood 6 or maybe even a Norwood 7. Though nobody could predict this, I'd say the younger you are at this point, the more likely you are to reach this level.

Are you on any medication? The first thing I always recommend to ANYONE in the process of LOSING their hair...is get on Finasteride ASAP. I'ts advisable (especially since you are losing your hair all over) to use it at least 6 months to a year before considering a hair transplant. That way, hopefully you can stop or slow down future loss, and if your'e one of the lucky few, maybe even regrow some hair. finasteride comes in 1mg pills called Propecia, or to save money get the 5mg finasteride pill called Proscar. BUT, if you get proscar, you have to use a pill splitter and divide it into quarters.

You might also want to try minoxodil for your crown. If I were you, I'd try the rogaine foam which seems easier to apply without the greasy effect of the liquid...and I hear it's not as harsh on the scalp. either way, it's a messier regime than popping a pill with Propecia (finasteride).

After trying the medication for awhile, the next step would be to consult with one of these physicians.

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Depending on the progress of your hairloss and/or helpful effects of the medication at that point, you'll be ready to re-evaluate your situation. If your hair remains the same as it is now, I'd recommend focusing on the front half initially as you have much more hair left in the back. Depending, however, on future loss, you may have to get another HT for the back. IMO, you would be best to consult with at least 3 physicians from the coalition.

In the meantime...while you are taking medication, the best thing you can do is research, research, research. You can start looking for doctors now...but research other patient photos before and after pictures especially those with hairloss like yours. Also consider hair color, scalp color, and hair shaft thickness (which I know is hard to tell by a picture). Though every patient is an individual and no two surgeries will look exactly the same...looking for these things will give you a more accurate idea than someone with a different hairloss pattern, hair color, scalp color, and hair shaft thickness.

I hope this helps get you started.

Bill

As Bill mentioned, to really advise you we need to know your age to properly advise you. I also ditto the advise to start Finasteride ASAP.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Sorry forgot to mention my age, I am 27 and have already tried rogaine and doesnt seem to work, I think with my receding hairline as well, I want to get a HT done. I have looked at my fathe's hairline and my hairline seems to have receded to the level that his did.