first time post...question/wondering

hey everybody, just joined up and recently went to Dr. Feller for a consult..seemed very nice and no pressure, which was great. I'm early thirties and have a receding hairline, Dr. Feller suggested 1200-1500 grafts, which i thought was right, and to go on proscar after surgery. I havent decided to do it yet, but if i did, I guess Dr. Feller would be the guy right? I have heard only great things about him on these forums. I forgot to ask these questions at the consult because i was a little nervous, but maybe you guys can help. How long does the surgery last? and he recommended strip instead of FUE, but i forget his reasoning as to why (maybe not enough grafts getting done). Also I'm not to young..I dont have any other loss really..a little miniturization in the back, but im guessing proscar can fix that right? Thanks!

hey everybody, just joined up and recently went to Dr. Feller for a consult..seemed very nice and no pressure, which was great. I'm early thirties and have a receding hairline, Dr. Feller suggested 1200-1500 grafts, which i thought was right, and to go on proscar after surgery. I havent decided to do it yet, but if i did, I guess Dr. Feller would be the guy right? I have heard only great things about him on these forums. I forgot to ask these questions at the consult because i was a little nervous, but maybe you guys can help. How long does the surgery last? and he recommended strip instead of FUE, but i forget his reasoning as to why (maybe not enough grafts getting done). Also I'm not to young..I dont have any other loss really..a little miniturization in the back, but im guessing proscar can fix that right? Thanks!

Maybe you want to go on propecia even before surgery.

There is no reason why FUE should not be offered instead of strip on a virgin head.

I may be repeating myself, but going strip first is not in your best interest.

Strip is far more invasive when compared to FUE.

Combined in both institutes the drs. performed over 14000 FUE just in the last 7 days. We have yet to refuse a candidate because of certain hair characteristics. For every patient there is an FUE solution.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Pokerbrat,

If you opt for the strip procedure, the surgery will probably last around 5-6 hours for the number of graft you mentioned.

Starting on Finasteride as soon as possible is a great idea. I'd also like to suggest using the Foam Rogaine as well.

forgot to ask these questions at the consult because i was a little nervous,

First and formost, you should be able to ask your doctor whatever question that is on your mind, dont be nervous.

the doctor is the one who sees you in person, and feller who has a wide range of experience should be able to answer your question without no nervous tension in the air.

im not sure why he said for you to wait after your surgery to get on proscar, most people take proscar for a year, and then get a transplant.

yea that sounds about right, i would say somewhere between 4-6 hours in total is the surgery time.

strip and fue is all but a preference nowadays i think.

you can research this site on the differences, and knowledge of the two different methods.

the main difference well according to feller's HT's

its 10$ a graft for FUT and there is no scar,

and the strip is 3$ a graft and its cheaper after u get 2000 grafts and the scar he makes are thin so its not visible after i would say a 2 gaurd hair cut.

hope i helped

As I understand it, Dr. Feller has developed the opinion that strip procedures are a better idea in most cases, even though he's one of the world's best at doing FUE work when he actually does it.

There are a fair number of people in the HT community who might disagree with Dr. Feller's opinion on this issue, although Feller's skills at either type of HT method are not in question.

It's up to each patient to consult with several good HT doctors and then come to their own decision.

------------------------------------------------

Pokerbrat - I had my HT done with Dr. Feller in February and so far I am very pleased with the results. I had 3000 grafts placed on my front 1/3 via strip and it took about 6-7 hours. I've got a good amount of hair there now, when I haven't for 15 years, so it's very exciting. As far as the strip goes, the only part that hurt a little were the anesthesia injections to the donor area (and to a lesser degree the recipient area), but then you don't feel anything during the procedure.

Strip surgery is more invasive, but can yield a lot more grafts and it's a lot less expensive for the same amount of grafts. If you only need 1500 grafts then FUE could be a possibility, assuming Dr. Feller (or other docs) feel you have the proper donor characteristics. If you do a search for Dr. Feller (not sure which sub-forum), he explains his philosophy on why FUE isn't always the best option. I believe he will start an FUE procedure and if after 45 minutes or so he doesn't feel you are a good candidate, he will give you the option of switching to strip.

BTW, contrary to what many people will tell you (or what you will read), FUE can leave scars, albiet less noticible than with strip. Personally, my scar is virtually undetectable at this point, which was echoed by the lady who cuts my hair. The tri-close that Dr. Feller and others use allows hairs to grow through the scar, so it makes it very difficult to see.

Dr. Feller is highly regarded for his ethics and his technical expertise. I can only tell you from my experience and other posts that I would highly recommend him for both strip and FUE. Other top docs should be considered too, but you can't go wrong with Dr. Feller IMO. I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions about Dr. Feller, surgery day or post op procedures. Best of luck....Jersey

thanks everybody for the suggestions....I thought of a few more that you guys might be able to shed some light on....after surgery maybe two days later can you start using hair products for your other hair while the grafts are still in?... and i use a pomade/wax and sometimes hairspray..will they cause damage to the grafts..and two is shockloss likely to happen to the hair next to and in back of my hairline after surgery? Thanks again.

Hey poker

Congrats on looking into "fixing" your Hairloss. I would say you need about a week to 10 days before you start putting stuff in your hair.. It takes about 8 days for the grafts to "set" so I wouldn't want to mess with that..

As far as shockloss hard to say. Different people respond differently to HT's.. I really didn't have much at all but you can always use Dermatch to cover it up after the 10 day period or so

Feller's a top notch doc and I'm sure you'll get some good results if you decide to do it

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!