anyone tried Provillus?

pimmers

Hi guys, I'm 24 and thinning like crazy. Always had thick hair, and then bang,it caught up with me. Thanks!

Been using nioxin and nanogen. I dont know if they do a thing and continuing to shed lots and lots in shower and bath.

Provillus - I have been reading some great things about this, and was wondering if anyone has given it a testdrive yet?

which way to the bullet train?

thanks

Hey Pimmers - you came to the right place. I'm 26, started my hair preservation regime at 24...but wasted a good year (btwn ages 23-24)on trying everything but propecia and minoxidil. Provillus looks like it's just the next 'miracle herbal supplement' in a long line of products that promise great results they can't possibly deliver.

Do yourself a favor, if you can afford it, get on Propecia and minoxidil extra strength. Now. Go on, stop reading this and do it! Once you're on those you can feel free to add other parts such as Provillus if you feel it's necessary...although I think its a waste of money.

I've never used Nioxin or Nanogen, but I've heard some good things...but just keep in mind, NO shampoo will prevent hairloss - the best you can hope for is that it'll give you a clean, healthy scalp free of sebum that's optimum for minoxidil absorbtion.

Hope this helps. I just don't want to see another young guy waste presious time trying out "Snake Oils" and wasting money.

Thanks Andy, its good to know Im far from alone in my obsession with my lack of hair.

If propecia works im more than ready to make the purchase. Also, a quick question about minoxidil.... I bought some regaine extra strength (5% minoxidil). It burnt and itched more than I could cope with. So do you think the 1 or 2% solutions would be less irritant and still work? Also, which product containing minoxidil is considered best?

Thanks for your help!

Pending a head of flowing locks

Pimmers

Pimmers,

It may be a good idea to switch to the 2%, at least for a few months. Then maybe you can switch back to the 5%. Also, therapeutic shampoos such as Nizoral and Neutrogena T-Sal help tremendously with the itching from Rogaine.

GuitarPlayer

Trust me, you are NOT alone! I'm glad to hear you're willing to make the Propecia leap! Start as soon as you can. Just know that the first three months or so that you'll shed. That's totally normal and is just a sign that it's working. Don't freak out or be discouraged. You need to give it a full year 'test drive' if you will. But don't worry, the vast majority seem to like it's benefits, and most of the older guys on this site wish they had it when they were are age...so consider yourself lucky!

Some peoples scalps act adversely to Minox. You can try the 2% to start out, perhaps a lower concentration won't bother you. You can also try switching shampoos. Nizoral 1% - or the prescription 2% may be able to help you...I use 2% and really like it. Seems to leave the scalp very clean. However, research some of the many threads on this site about minoxidil and scalp conditions. I'm sure you can find an answer or at least some great advice.

As for the brand of minox, I use Dr. Lee's stuff. It's available on http://www.minoxidil.com and he requires you to go through an online consultation before you purchase. However, his lowest concentration starts at 5%, so it might not be right for you. Basically, what seems to be the difference in the many brands of minoxidils is the price and the delivery method. Some brands use different types of alcohols in different concentrations...alcohol is necessary to penetrate your skin and get down to the subcutaneous level. I think it's the alcohol and not the minoxidil that messes with peoples scalps, and some forms of alcohol may not be as harsh. It seems a lot of men on this site get Kirkland (generic) brand minoxidil and seem ok with it. I'd advise you on some brands, but I think you need to really research on this site about sensitive scalps first and decide for yourself.

Also, you may really like Propecia and decide not to use minoxidil at all at this point!

Anyway, what is called the "Big Three" on this site is Propecia, Minoxidil, and Nizoral 2%. That's the conclusion a lot of men on this site have come to after testing many products. Of course, you have to do what's right for you though. I'm using all three and have been pretty happy so far.

But...don't excpect miracles! But since you are starting young, I think you can expect a gradual improvement of your hair's appearance.

Quick question for you...are you using a thickening shampoo as well? If you're thinning, that can help with your day-to-day confidence and overall appearance.

Keep us posted on your decision!

Guitar Player and Andy, thanks.

I didn't realise that Nizoril was a scalp scoothing shampoo. I will do some research re the minoxidil and hopefully find one that wont burn like crazy!

Shampoo wise I am currently using Nanogen's nanoguard and nanothick conditioner. Both definately add volume to my hair's appearance, but I seem to be shedding quite a bit at the moment, so hair looks at worst when wet.

Would it be possible that a new shampoo and conditioner could increase shedding?

Really, thanks for the help. take it easy

Nanogen is a pretty well respected shampoo. That's not what's causing your excessive hair shedding. It's caused by DHT attacking your follicles.

Please, get a doctor's appointment and get a perscription for Propecia. Give Nizoral 1% (over the counter shampoo) a shot...or ask your doctor to perscribe you the 2%.

That's my advice...good luck and keep us posted!