Cost of propecia. Does insurance cover it?

Storm,

I think I pay about $55 a month, however I'm going to have to switch to proscar because I feel like I'm throwing money away. Plus, my prescription runs out this month.

Manko

I use proscar. On my presciption plan I only pay $25 bucks for 30 tabs, which I quarter for 120 doses. It don't get much cheaper than that. icon_biggrin.gif

What's proscar? Is it a DHT inhibitor like propecia? Does it work as well? Is proscar usually covered by insurance?

I pay $20 a month for my 30 count of propecia. If I remember correctly, however, I think my doctor had originally prescribed the refills to be done in quantities of 90 instead. The $20 is just my deductible. When I went to get the propecia the first time, the pharmacist asked if I wanted it filled in monthly fills or the whole 90 at once. I think if I go back and have it switched to 90, then I'll only have to pay $20 every 3 months.

Most insurance plans will cover the cost of Proscar becasue the "din" or drug ID number tells them that it is for prostate problems. However they can demand the medical reports. They usually don't but I'm sure they are well aware of this. There are lots of drugs that have hundreds of different purposes. Use Proscar the 5 Mil pill NOT the 1 mil. If you do they will very quickly figure it out.

Stormshadow"

Proscar = 5 mg. Finasteride, prescribed for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (enlarged prostate)

Propecia = 1 mg. Finasteride, prescribed for Male Pattern Baldness

Some guys save money by using Proscar and splitting the tablets into quarters.

If you are older (probably not in your 20s) you may be able to get your doctor to write a prescription for Proscar.