What a shock

I am about 5 weeks post HT. My temples had receded dramatically prior to HT. My top and back were thinning but I did have a strip down the center. I also have fine hair. My FUT's were put in to give me a hairline and fill in the front half of my scalp. I had 2000 FUT.

I have had approx. 90-95% shock loss. My crown which was almost bold now looks like the area I have most coverage. I don't notice shock loss from the donor area. My Dr. would probably tell me that the hair I lost was weak and I would probably have lost it anyway. I haven't asked him because I am trying to be patient. There's no use crying about spilt hair. I am at a point where I don't want to be out in public without a hat but my job doesn't allow for that. I feel like I turned the clock ahead 5 years. Every time I look in the mirror I just see a bald head. I am currently on Propecia.

Is this much loss normal?

I am about 5 weeks post HT. My temples had receded dramatically prior to HT. My top and back were thinning but I did have a strip down the center. I also have fine hair. My FUT's were put in to give me a hairline and fill in the front half of my scalp. I had 2000 FUT.

I have had approx. 90-95% shock loss. My crown which was almost bold now looks like the area I have most coverage. I don't notice shock loss from the donor area. My Dr. would probably tell me that the hair I lost was weak and I would probably have lost it anyway. I haven't asked him because I am trying to be patient. There's no use crying about spilt hair. I am at a point where I don't want to be out in public without a hat but my job doesn't allow for that. I feel like I turned the clock ahead 5 years. Every time I look in the mirror I just see a bald head. I am currently on Propecia.

Is this much loss normal?

Originally posted by thinkingaboutit:

you say "90-95% shock loss."

That sounds unbelievable. Dr. Charles is considered one of the best. That does not sound right.

I don't blame the Dr. I thought he was great.

It just seems from most of the posts I read that the significant hair loss I've had seems unusual.

The loss is in the area of the new transplants. Most of the newly transplanted hair has fallen out. However since the transplant was in the same area that I had the most coverage, that hair has fallen out as well.

MW, that is rough. I have heard about excessive shock loss. It seems to be more prevalent with diffuse thinning, fine hair.

What NW are you?

I know it is difficult for you now, but 2000 grafts will give you a nice look.It will just require patience.

Most of the shocked hair will likely return and so you should be very pleased with the final results. The time in between is the tough part.Stay positive through the journey.

Be sure to contact your surgeon with your concerns.

Good Luck. Keep us posted with your progress.

MW - The loss you are describing is the normal loss most of us have experianced after HT (even after a good one) Transplanted hairs are just like plants in this respect, When you move the follicle to a different spot, the existing shaft will go through the trauma of the relocation. The follicle has to reestablish where to get the nutrients from. In turn the existing shaft is going to shed. I shed 80% of my transplants. It will mess with your mind because you think you are worse off than when you started, but just relax! icon_eek.gif By 2 months post op most of us see some of the transplants begin to sprout. I'm 3 months post op, and see alot of transplants sprouting, not quite 2000 plus, but I now see hair in places that have been bald for 4 years! icon_biggrin.gif! Most HT patients see the bulk of the transplants growing by 4-5 months, they usuallly descibe it as "all the suden I could see more hair there!". So kick back and enjoy the thought that this is only temporary! icon_smile.gif

My doc explained to me that there are two types of shockloss.

1- when you transplant the hair it will go into shock, this is expected, it WILL happen. And is thought to be a good sign. icon_confused.gif

2-the hair not transplanted, that is native to the recipient falls out. This one is not good. It means the hairs were somehow transected or for whatever reason the scalp may have been traumatized.

What you are talking about - sounds NORMAL! icon_smile.gif

Shiny Side Up!!

Tymman,

I'm not sure that he is talking about the hairs that have been transplanted falling out. However, if he is, you are right, that is very normal. The two types of shockloss you described below, from what I am aware of is not accurate, though I guess it's a matter of different terminology. Scenerio one where all the transplanted hairs fall out, to my knowledge, is not called shockloss, however, the second scenerio is called shockloss. However, I believe that the native hairs don't actually have to be transected in order for them to experience that shockoss. In addition, native hair that is shocked still "May" grow back...it's not definate that it will not. This is why I believe most docs recommend going on Propecia for some time before having an HT...it should "minimize" shock loss, or at least give you a better chance that the shocked hair will grow back. I may be wrong, but it sounds like MW is talking about native hair that has fallen out. Is this true NW? Either way, I'd contact your doc immediately, and if you want a better opinion from the board...can you post pictures of before the surgery, right after the surgery, and your head today? We might be able get a better understanding of what is going on in your particular case.

By the way...if any of the information I have posted is incorrect, someone correct me. But this is my understanding after having two HTs.

Bill

Dear MW-

With over 12 years of transplanting experience, the situation you describe is definitely very atypical, but can rarely occur, even with a respected doctor.

I have some questions: Do you take any nutritional/bodybuilding supplements?; Do you smoke cigarettes regularly?; What was the degree of hair loss originally?

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS

http://www.foundhair.com

Dear Dr. Epstein,

Aside from pro-steroid/hormones (previously legal supplements) what bodybuilding supplements would concern you.

Thank you for your reply, feel free to PM if its better for you.

HH

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

• 4 weeks later...

i am very concerned with this topic as well. MW I hope your shocked hair does grow back, but tell us more about what you did to prepair for your HT and what you did after to help prevent shockloss. I am in the same boat as you. I have not yet gone in for my HT, its still 3 months away, but i have quite a lot of diffuse thinning hair throughout my entire head. everything from my hairline to my crown is not too dense, plus i workout regularly and take creatine monohydrate as a supliment with a weightgainer 1850. all legal stuff, but i am very concerned if weight lifting supplements such as creatine is harmful to HT diffuse thinning patients.

I just hope i dont experience shockloss when i get my HT done. How are you reacting to propecia? I tried the generic version, but unfortunately it gave me those awful side effects w/in the 1st month of use. i am considering using it again though b4 my procedure as well as minoxodil to reduce shockloss.

any ideas on this guys?

I did not do much preparation. I only started taking Propecia a week before my procedure. I weight lift and drink protein shakes(myoplex) almost daily but I don't think that had anything to do with the shock.

Meanwhile it is over a month since my last post and I can already see some hair starting to grow. I don't think it is just FUT's that never fell out . It seems that some of the "shockloss" hair is starting to grow back. I'm about 10 weeks post procedure. A couple of people who know I had the transplant have mentioned to me that it looks like I have hair growing. So far so good. I'm still very very happy that I had it done.