Time Between HT's

Hello Friends, I am going to schedule my second procedure for the third week of January. This will be just under seven months since my first procedure. I will probably have the majority of the grafts put in the front where the first ones went. My doctor says that is an adequate amount of time between surgeries for a second one in the same spot. All he suggested I do is massage the donor site to get it ready.

I remember reading on the forum some posts about the minimum amount of time that is acceptable between procedures in the same area and I believe I remember seeing figures like 10 months to a year. Can anyone refresh my memory and if I am remembering it correctly provide something that might back up that information? My doctor is one of the best so I'm sure he knows what he is doing I just want to make ABSOLUTELY sure I am doing the right thing because we all know with a finite number of grafts we don't get a second chance. Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Hello Friends, I am going to schedule my second procedure for the third week of January. This will be just under seven months since my first procedure. I will probably have the majority of the grafts put in the front where the first ones went. My doctor says that is an adequate amount of time between surgeries for a second one in the same spot. All he suggested I do is massage the donor site to get it ready.

I remember reading on the forum some posts about the minimum amount of time that is acceptable between procedures in the same area and I believe I remember seeing figures like 10 months to a year. Can anyone refresh my memory and if I am remembering it correctly provide something that might back up that information? My doctor is one of the best so I'm sure he knows what he is doing I just want to make ABSOLUTELY sure I am doing the right thing because we all know with a finite number of grafts we don't get a second chance. Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time,

traditionally, many people wait until the previous surgery has fully matured before the next surgery. As a general rule this is at least a year; everybody's situation is differant; for example, if you had area(s), such as the crown, that the doc didn't address in the previous surgery I feel you could probably have surgery a little sooner; there is another factor and that is the donor area; optimally, you want it to be healed and scalp laxity to return, before your next surgery. Also, you have shockloss; that can take some time also; you want the shockloss hair (recepient and donor areas) to be grown back so your native hair is back to "baseline."

You said the grafts were going to be in the front where the first surgery was focused; at 7 months you may have another 30-40% before the surgery is at the final results--you have a lot of cosmetic improvement yet; I do not know your unique situation, but if the previous surgery was low density and for coverage, then I guess the doc wouldn't need to see it fully matured in order to do another surgery; these are just some of my thoughts;

TTDS,

dhoose75 gave you some excellent advice.

If you are having grafts placed in between previously transplanted hairs, I'd recommend waiting a full year at least between surgeries. I know many hair restoration clinics will tell you a shorter period of time, but from all that I've read and discussed, new hairs can still pop through up to a year and sometimes even longer.

If you are having grafts placed in a completely different area, 6 months is the recommended time to give your donor area a chance to full heal and for laxity to return.

Experientially however, I have found that donor laxity doesn't fully return for me until about 8-12 months. Therefore, I still like waiting so I can start working the scalp via scalp exercises starting around 6 months to increase donor laxity.

Bill

Thanks for that info guys. I'll talk to my doctor and see why he believes it is ok to have the second procedure in January. You mentioned scalp massages. He told me

to start scalp massages before my next procedure. How often is this to be

done? Is just the donor area massaged and is there any particular amount

of time it should be massaged? Any tips on scalp massage would be appreciated. Thanks.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I don't know where I'd be without this forum. You guys have made me think of things that would have never crossed my mind and I thank you for that! My doc said that by the six month mark I should have about 80% of my hair from the first HT above the surface. I have scheduled an appointment for the second HT for January 18 which will be 6.5 months since the first. He wants me to send photos the first week of January to evaluate the progress. I explained to him my concern about performing a second HT in an area where there may still be some hair under the surface. He didn't seem to think that was a problem. Since he is one of the top coalition doctors, with his level of expertise I'm going to put my faith in him. I'm also starting scalp massages.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

My doc told me 6 months but the scalp exercises are the KEY. They yielded me 700 plus grafts AND no post op stiffness which was presnt in the previous two

they work !!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!