Graft placement

mm

I would like some feedback on graft placement. I received my second HT of 2200 grafts 10 months ago and I remain concerned with the placement. My doc recommended I go very dense on the top middle going back (picture a mohawk) and less density as I get to the sides and temples. I went along with his recommendation but in hindsight I would have preferred a more even distribution through out. For 2 reasons; 1. It is more difficult to style my hair now because of the different densities between the top and sides and 2. I envision my hair continuing to thin and being left with a bulk of hair on top of my head. What is the typical philosphy relating to graft distribution. (Oh, I also have a pretty large bald crown area which makes the high density on the top look even stranger).

I would like some feedback on graft placement. I received my second HT of 2200 grafts 10 months ago and I remain concerned with the placement. My doc recommended I go very dense on the top middle going back (picture a mohawk) and less density as I get to the sides and temples. I went along with his recommendation but in hindsight I would have preferred a more even distribution through out. For 2 reasons; 1. It is more difficult to style my hair now because of the different densities between the top and sides and 2. I envision my hair continuing to thin and being left with a bulk of hair on top of my head. What is the typical philosphy relating to graft distribution. (Oh, I also have a pretty large bald crown area which makes the high density on the top look even stranger).

Guest Cousin_It

MM...

Graft placement is an individual thing that should be discussed with your doctor. People have differing objectives in the look they wish to achieve when having a transplant. Some wish the hairline to strongly frame the face with a high density, others prefer a not as dense hairline but additional density in the crown.

One of the normal phases of MPB would be a higher hair density in the middle with thinning at the temples, so I can see what he was attempting to achieve.

Regardless of it appearing natural, it seems you are not happy with it. Since you agreed with the doctor's recommendation you cannot fault him for the outcome. In this case the only alternative would be to have additional hair placed in the thinning areas.

BTW, who was your doctor and do you have pictures showing the results. You may be too critical, maybe it is not really too bad. Also since it is only 10 months, the transplant has not fully matured, it may be possible the grafts in the thinning areas may continue to grow and thicken until acceptable in your eyes.

This is typical strategy. Generally the forelock is thicker than the sides.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

mm,

Who was your doc if you don't mind me asking? The first thing I'd do is contact him or her if you're dissatisfied with the result.

For my 2nd HT, which was focused on the crown, Doc Wong also strategically placed some grafts in the widows peaks to balance the overall effect. My midscalp isn't really dense but not too thin either. There was more focus on density on the sides of the midscalp rather than the top and it seems to be working for the overall appearance of density.

I question why someone would place grafts as mm mentioned? If you want the appearance of density and your sides have receeded downward quite a bit, I think you would want more density on the sides of the midscalp area versus the top to avoid a thin look from the side, not? Just IMO....

It would be nice if you could post pics of your situation. Again, I'd recommend you contact your Doc to get his or her input.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree that this can be a typical strategy, but I believe it would depend patient to patient. for example, I know that the sides of my top are thicker than the middle, so most of the placement of my grafts were to thicken up the middle section (at least toward mid scalp), yet there were also a good number of grafts placed in areas in the sides that were thinning.

Is it possible that when you went in for the HT that your sides were thicker and he/she simply matched the density? But now your sides are receeding and it looks unbalanced?

Have you and your doctor talked about your long term strategy for hairloss? There is ALWAYS a worry of losing more native hair, so no doctor should guarantee that one surgery will fill all your needs for life. In the event of losing more hair, you will need additional surgeries to keep up. Let's say that you had the grafts more evenly distributed...and then you lost more hair...the top would appear thinner than it does not and you would still be left with the same conclusion...you need another surgery. Hopefully your doctor talked to you about this possibility...that you will need more.

I will, however, say...that it would be a bit strange if the doctor thickened up the middle strip front to back, if the sides of the top of your head were already thin...I think that would give merit to question the doctor. But I can see that if the doctor was matching density, and you've lost more, how it might be upsetting to you, but it wouldn't be a fault of the surgery or the doctor...just an upset that you lost more hair.

Are you on any medication?

Bill

Its my 2nd HT with total grafts of 4500 in the front and midscalp area, and I was a NW 4-5 before the surgeries, so coverage is not the issue.

For now, I am in discussion with my doc and he has been receptive to my concerns. I don't think it is necessary to drag his name out at this point. His reaction has been similar to all of yours.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I kick myself every day because I was going to question the doctor's suggestion but I didn't. Let me give it some more time. Its been a long year.