1 month down: Propecia effects

pushing 40

Been taking it for one month now today. Have not bothered to look at hair much (it has been hard) since I know it takes usually three months or so to be able to notice anything. As far as side effects: believe it not, I think it has increased my libido instead of the opposite. Might be my imagination or the fact I have a really hot chick wife but that's what it feels like. I have also notice one wierd thing: a couple of times I have had what feels like a fever for a couple of hours; kind of like a hot flash. Thought to myself "I might be getting a cold". But then, it goes away and nothing. Realized yesterday it might be the propecia? Has happened twice in last two weeks so I'll keep noting it if it continues. I took pics when starting so I'll continue at the 3 and six month points and then you guys can help me evaluate.

Been taking it for one month now today. Have not bothered to look at hair much (it has been hard) since I know it takes usually three months or so to be able to notice anything. As far as side effects: believe it not, I think it has increased my libido instead of the opposite. Might be my imagination or the fact I have a really hot chick wife but that's what it feels like. I have also notice one wierd thing: a couple of times I have had what feels like a fever for a couple of hours; kind of like a hot flash. Thought to myself "I might be getting a cold". But then, it goes away and nothing. Realized yesterday it might be the propecia? Has happened twice in last two weeks so I'll keep noting it if it continues. I took pics when starting so I'll continue at the 3 and six month points and then you guys can help me evaluate.

Originally posted by pushing 40:

I have a really hot chick wife.

congratulations on this icon_wink.gif

I have also notice one wierd thing: a couple of times I have had what feels like a fever for a couple of hours; kind of like a hot flash. Thought to myself "I might be getting a cold". But then, it goes away and nothing. Realized yesterday it might be the propecia? Has happened twice in last two weeks so I'll keep noting it if it continues.

It's a new side effect I am reading for the first time. Is it not just coincidence that you would have had this even not taking propecia?

Ravi Vide

Jagdish,

Yes that is very possible. I actually may have just been ill and didn't realize it. I am pretty physically fit and usually very aware of changes in health so I thought maybe it was a hormonal thing caused by propecia. I really don't know but I will note it if it occurrs again. How are things in India? And thanks for the congrats on the wife. Today is our 6th anniversary! Maybe I should be posting her pics instead of mine!

• 2 weeks later...

pushing 40, it looks like you and I started propecia at about the same time, I'm coming up on 2 months now, here's what I've noticed,

1. it appears to have lowered my libido (i don't have a hot wife, but a cute girl friend)

2. my hair appears to be better.

I think both of these could be just placebo effect as I had a pretty low libido to begin with (due to depression about hair loss) and hair may not look so bad because I feel like I may not be losing more and can live with what I have.

also, I've switched to better shampoos, nizoral and jason's thin to thick (which I highly reccomend), as well as Dr Lee's Xandrox5 and 15 and 5% spiro all at about the same time. so it's likely that I'm seeing cosmetic improvements based on the shampoos and that's it.

either way i'm going to stay on this regime and wait to see what happens next. I think it would be interesting to continue to compare our results over the next few months, not only on the progress but also on opinion of treatments.

congrats on the hot wife.

JD (maintaining?)

I started March 15, so yes we're about the same.

• I've still had no libido loss at all as far as I can tell. <LI>hot flashes I felt a couple of times have not recurred. <LI>My wife was playing with my hair yesterday and said "oh, these are your new little hairs?". Sure enough, when I looked, i already actually have what appears to be new little hairs growing all amongst the longer older ones in the front 1/3 where my loss is. For now I'm pretending its our imagination and will re-evaluate in a couple more months. <LI>I know some guys would kill to still have as much hair as I have on top and in front but each of us has our own levels of "happy with what we got" and I am not at mine.

Do you have a blog? I am going to try posting good photos as I go along to get input on here; the more opinions the better (well sometimes anyway icon_wink.gif Maybe your body will work thru the libido loss? and you better hope your girlfriend doesn't see you called her cute instead of hot! icon_eek.gif (now I'm wondering if Pat would fuss at me for posting a nice little pic of my wife in my blog? (just to keep everybody entertained a little!)

sounds like we're in the same boat again 40, I still have a fair amount of hair that I know alot of guys would kill for what I have, I'm not happy with what I got, but I could live with it, I think the thought of losing more really is what got me on this kick to try and commit to doing something about it.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much, but i also see the little hairs growing in my hair line, that i know hasn't seen any regrowth in years, who knows what they'll turn into, but i'm believe it's a sign that somethings working.

as far as my before pics, i don't have any of they typical shots that i see people take as their before and after pics, mainly because i was too depressed about my hair at the time i started this regime to even consider it, but i do have the picture of me that i think helped put me over the top that really showed the amount of thinning, i'd be happy to post that once i setup a blog, i'd even would post a pic of my "cute" girl friend if you get the pic of your hot wife up. my girl friend thinks i'm nuts, but she has been supportive as she can be, without really understanding why it bothered me so much.

jd

ok, I just finished off my 60th pill last night, over the last week or so I've noticed some shedding, I wouldn't call it a heavy shedding at this point, but then again I've never been one who's experience much shedding at all. my hair loss has been more of the gradual thinning over 15 years, unnoticeable until i look at pictures from when i was 18 and where i am now and it's like "holy crap i've lost alot of hair"......

I understand my current shedding could be a good thing, but it is alarming!!!! Pushing40 are you experiencing any of this? and those of you who are long time Fin. users and advice input? did you go through a similar thing at the 2 month mark? I should just hang in there in wait it out, I know that's the answer, but would lie to hear it from someone else.

JD (shedding)

JD,

No, I don't think I'm having any type of this shedding thing as far as I can tell. I've read about it but don't see it happening so far. Had some really awesome sex last night too so still libido or "firmness" problems; hope it stays that way!

Oooh, a Kawasaki Ninja - sweet. I drove my friends Ninga 1100. That's one awsome machine.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• 4 weeks later...