Shedding Time?

I've been on Rogaine for a little over a month, and Propecia for nearly a month. Today, as I ran my fingers through my hair, I noticed a larger-than-average amount of hair loss. In fact, by my rough observations I feel as though I've lost tremendously more than I would on a given day. Whereas I would usually notice around 10 to 20 hairs on my pillow, shirt, etc., today I've counted up to 100 hairs jumping out of my scalp. Can I be sure that this is the infamous "shedding" phase? Or could it just be that my hair loss has accelerated? And if this is in fact shedding, could anyone please inform me of the process/expectations that should follow afterward? Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

I've been on Rogaine for a little over a month, and Propecia for nearly a month. Today, as I ran my fingers through my hair, I noticed a larger-than-average amount of hair loss. In fact, by my rough observations I feel as though I've lost tremendously more than I would on a given day. Whereas I would usually notice around 10 to 20 hairs on my pillow, shirt, etc., today I've counted up to 100 hairs jumping out of my scalp. Can I be sure that this is the infamous "shedding" phase? Or could it just be that my hair loss has accelerated? And if this is in fact shedding, could anyone please inform me of the process/expectations that should follow afterward? Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

Martin,

Can you be sure? Probably not. But considering these two medications are the best chance you have at stopping the progression of male pattern baldness and maybe even reversing it, I'd stay on them unless you are experiencing side effects.

I would say the probability is high that it's the infamous hair shedding phase caused by the medication. Hairs forced into telogen (shedding) by these hair loss treatments are making room for the new healthier and stronger hair that is growing underneath.

Propecia's website states to give it at least 1 year whereas Rogaine's says 4 months. Personally, I'd give them both a good full year's evaluation.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you Bill,

I do plan on staying on the meds for around a year, as at this point I feel I haven't much to lose and might as well see what happens. I am, however, also interested in what I might expect regarding the post-shedding period. Is it true that the more shedding one experiences, the better the results? Or do some people experience shedding to stop their hair loss, but never grow these hairs back? I understand that there are no sure answers here, but personal experiences are much appreciated ... just trying to set the right expectations.

-Thanks again all

I started finesteride (i.e. propecia) last August and minox foam about a month after that. I went into a SEVERE and SCARY initial shedding phase. It was pretty drastic. But... it all started coming back after about 3-4 months. The shed lasted about 5 weeks before stabilizing, leaving me rather bald, except for some stupid bosley minigrafts. I know it's freaky, but it DOES come back, and if you stop now, all you will get is the shed with none of the benefits of continued use (although the hair will return either way). Ride it out, and I'm sure you'll be fine. - Stimpy