Dr. John Gillespie...The Gillespie Clinic

I am new to the forum and had a hair transplant from Dr. John Gillespie at the Gillespie Clinic in Calgary eactly three weeks ago. I had little or no loss in the back and wanted to have a reeceding hairline repaired. Went through the experience at a cost of 7 hours and $6500.00. I have not seen any results yet, but the surgery healed rapidly and there is no evidence of it (with the exception of a small incision line at the back of the head) and very slight discloration (redness) at the site of the planting. Overall, I am pleased that I have healed quickly and cannot justifiably give a complete review until the hair begins to grow. However, here are some positive and negative impressions. I will update this once the hair grows.

Positives.

-Nice facility with a relaxed atmosphere

-Appears to be clean and well maintained.

-Staff is friendly and attempt to be accomodating.

-Large screen video and movies are provided during the procedure.

Negatives

-Dr. Gillespie promised to build my sideburns up, but conveniently "forgot" about it once he had the money and the surgery had began. Very disappointing. I would have even paid more if he had asked!!

-Dr. Gillespie came late to the surgery. His staff was frantically attempting to reach him on his cellphone. When he arrived, he appeared desheveled and angry. I wondered if I had interrupted anything. Not the most pleasant experience!!!

-Dr.Gillespie did not supervise the surgery. His staff was left on their own to transplant my hair. The only role he played was removing the donor hair. Following this, he disappeared into his office, and let his staf do the rest of the work (I have no idea what qualifications these people had!). Dr. Gillespie seemed more interested in arranging a holiday that day.

Once the results are clear, I will post a follow-up. Its really hard to say at this time. However, I would not return to Dr.Gillespie's clinic for further work and this is mainly as a result of the impression Dr. Gillespie himself left on me. I will research other options if the necessity arises.

Stay Tuned...I will post a complete review with photos once results (if any) are realized...

First of all I wish you a successful outcome to your surgery.

Your positive have nothing to do with hair transplants..........maybe a health spa. icon_wink.gif.

Some of your negative are scary in my opinion. I do not agree or feel comfortable allowing workers that are not doctors making the incisions. This is an extremely important part of the surgery. Making the incision to deep or too shallow has an affect on growth and scaring. I do not know much about this doctor so I do not want to comment but if I was looking for a transplant your comments are enough for me to never consider him.

Regardless I hope he hit a homerun with your results and you will be content.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

In all fairness to Dr. Gillespie, he did make the initial incisions...I forgot to include this. His staff was left to transplant the hair itself. I dont know if this is standard practice...but it certainly ran contrary to what I had expected. Dr. Gillespie was nowhere in site during this. However, I heard him yelling on the phone from his office. It sounded like he was planning a vacation.

Once again, its all about the results. If the area he actually did transplant grows well I will have a better assesment. It is too early to say at this point. These are just my initiial impressions.

Bigdee,

I'm sorry that you are generally dissatisfied with your surgical experience. I'm sure I'd feel a little upset0if my surgeon seemed a bit preoccupied and focused on other things too.

However much of what you explained is completely normal including the technicians placing all the grafts. Typically the surgeon will come in the room to check on them evey now and then, but in many cases, if a surgeon has well trained and experienced staff members, suervision is minimal, but should never be nonexistant.

Like you said, the results are yet to come and your hair transplant results should be evaluated at the one year mark.

In the meantime, I encourage you to create a photo album or free hair loss weblog to share your photos and document your progress.

I will also notify Drm Gillespie of this thread so he can offer his input.

Best wishes,

Bill

You forgot to mention a very important point. Like Bill said it is normal for techs to insert the grafts. Good luck and be patient.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Ok, points well taken. From the standpoint of the surgery it appears he did follow the standard process and procedures. However, he did not completely follow through on what we had agreed to at the consultation. This was the biggest issue for me.

The preoccupation or bedside manner is all pretty subjective. Furthermore, I have had no complications at all and minimal pain and swelling even directly following the surgery. From that standpoint I am very pleased. The results at 1 year will truly determine the sucess of this surgery.

• 4 years later...