Telogen Effluvium

Hey Guys,

Recently I have followed a crash diet which consists of very little carbs and protein and i mean very little and i skip meals all the time. I was wondering how long it takes me to recover from it. I am now eating more and more protein every meal.

I got my blood tested already, found that everything is normal. Hormone levels are normal, iron, zinc etc is normal

However my vitamin B12 levels are a little low. The doctor told me to eat more meat and i was wondering if Vitamin B12 would affect hair growth.

How long does it take for my hair to regrow and to grow thicker after the shedding? It is getting long really quick but it is not as thick as before i was wondering when it would get better? Hair loss is not very bad at all at the moment.

Thanks Guys

Kim

Hey Guys,

Recently I have followed a crash diet which consists of very little carbs and protein and i mean very little and i skip meals all the time. I was wondering how long it takes me to recover from it. I am now eating more and more protein every meal.

I got my blood tested already, found that everything is normal. Hormone levels are normal, iron, zinc etc is normal

However my vitamin B12 levels are a little low. The doctor told me to eat more meat and i was wondering if Vitamin B12 would affect hair growth.

How long does it take for my hair to regrow and to grow thicker after the shedding? It is getting long really quick but it is not as thick as before i was wondering when it would get better? Hair loss is not very bad at all at the moment.

Thanks Guys

Kim

B12 is an important vitamin for hair growth, as are other B vitamins such a biotin. Things like eggs, meat and poultry are good sources. Some people cannot absorb vitamin B12 as they lack an enzyme (intrinsic factor) in their body. Consequently, those people often need vitamin B12 shots. If you are low in vitamin B12 and changes in your diet to try to compensate for that do not help, it may mean you have some underlying condition that should be looked at more closely.

tntkim,

Have you been diagnosed with telogen effluvium? Usually telogen effluvium is a temporary condition caused by a "stressor". Once the stressor is removed, hair regrowth starts 3 months later and continues for months until it goes back to normal.

Unless you are extremely malnourished and lacking critically in essential vitamins and minerals, I wouldn't expect that your slightly low Vitamin B levels would cause or expedite hair loss. Though by all means, take Vitamin B to boost your levels up to normal.

In the list you described above, you didn't mention whether or not your thyroid was normal. If you haven't had that tested, I strongly recommend you do so.

In addition to all that you mentioned, traumatic stress, certain medications, and medical conditions can cause telogen effluvium and other hair loss.

Genetics is still the number one cause for male and female hair loss. Be sure to speak to your dermatologist about this as well.

Best wishes,

Bill