Hair straightener made all a mess...!!

Aqeelaa

Hello I am new to here,wishing you all a very happy and peaceful 2009.

I am a Male.

I did a blunder recently. Bought a hair straightener (GLATT by Swarzkopf) and used it straighten my otherwise nice and thick hair. After washing, I find my hair has become thin and now experiencing considerable hair loss too.

I regret using the straightener. I should never have touched it. There are bald spots visible now after losing considerable hairs. Is it permanent? Can hair straighteners cause permanent hair loss? Can I regain the vitality of my hair and thickness of it by any way? Can Rogaine help?

Please help me with your advices. I am really annoyed.

relax,one use of hair straighteners is not going to make you start balding.

is it possible your thinning was disguised by it's wavey/curly nature and the straightening has made it more noticeable.

the follicle is rooted deep within the scalp so the straightener would have no impact on it.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

also,possibly the hair you lost was weak already(due to future mpb)and the pulling nature of the staighteners helped speed things up?

if this is the case get on the meds you have already mentioned.

good luck.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

"is it possible your thinning was disguised by it's wavey/curly nature and the straightening has made it more noticeable."

"also,possibly the hair you lost was weak already(due to future mpb)and the pulling nature of the staighteners helped speed things up?"

Balody is right on both of these suggestions. Take it from me Aqeelaa. I initially had thick wavy hair and now my hair is thinner and straighter due to MPB, so much so that people mistakenely mis-assign my ethnicity!

take care...

as has already been stated, hair straightners are not the cause of permanent balding. it's from dht and is programmed in your genes. the chemicals may have damaged the hair shaft but it will grow back.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by hairthere:

as has already been stated, hair straightners are not the cause of permanent balding. it's from dht and is programmed in your genes. the chemicals may have damaged the hair shaft but it will grow back.

Thanks hairthere, this is the answer I am looking for. I just had to know whether the damage that goddamn straightener inflicted is temporary or permanent. You answered it well. My genes should be okay to have hair on my head until my 70s because, my father who is in his 70s does not show a single bald patch on his head. Maternal route too is the same. I know my uncle with full of hair on his head and he is in his 50s.

Thanks to all who answered me. I think I have to shave my head for now because it is all a mess. Wearing a hat would be okay for a month or so. Is testosterone caps in small doses stimulate hair growth? I mean if I shave my head, can I accelerate the growth of new hair by taking small doses of testocaps?

Thanks again to baldy, mmhce and hairthere.

My genes should be okay to have hair on my head until my 70s because, my father who is in his 70s does not show a single bald patch on his head. Maternal route too is the same. I know my uncle with full of hair on his head and he is in his 50s.

Genes may be dominant or recessive, and may manifest themselves differently with every suceeding generation.

There is a genetic test located at www.hairdx.com that you can try to be certain about this.

take care...