No Knife, No Stitches Hair Transplant

Dan,

The hair transplant procedure being performed in this video is called follicular unit extraction (FUE), and it's nothing new. In fact, a number of physicians are and have been performing it for years. Furthermore, this video paints a vivid and terribly false picture of today's state of the art follicular unit transplantation (FUT) procedures also known as strip surgery, which to date, still rivals FUE in a number of critical ways. This of course is not mentioned in this video meant strictly to promote a particular doctor rather than educate the public on the realities (pros and cons) of hair transplant surgery.

While FUE is being overhyped to promote one particular doctor, unrealistic images and phrases are being used to scare the public away from a perfectly viable procedure. Why? The only reason I can think of is because the physician featured in the video doesn't perform this procedure. Thus, promotional scare tactics are being used to increase the physician's sales.

The snapshot of the strip scar was one of the worst I've ever seen and indicative of work done by physicians not using state of the art closure techniques. The snapshot of hair "plugs" shown to demonstrate a typical strip result in reality, has nothing to do with strip surgery at all. Quality physicians haven't used plugs in nearly 20 years. For over 750 examples of state of the art grown out strip results, visit our hair transplant photo gallery.

The truth is, there are pros and cons to both FUT and FUE hair transplant procedures and prospective patients should be fully aware of the risks prior to undergoing surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dan,

Follicular unit extraction (FUE) has greater potiential for patients to wear their hair at extremely short lengths without showing visible signs of scarring. This is due to the type of scarring it produces. Visible signs of scarring with FUE is dependent on the extraction tool used, a hair transplant patient's physiological healing factors, their donor hair density, and the number of grafts taken from a single area of the scalp. Typically, extracting more than 20% to 30% of the hairs in a single area can produce visible signs of scarring.

Follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT) or strip surgery scarring produces a linear scar. With today's advanced closure techniques, it's typically pencil thin. Since the new trichophytic closure technique allows your own natural hair to grow through the scar, in many cases, the strip scar is virtually undetectable even when hair is cropped at extremely short lengths. That said, not every scar is "perfect" and risks of scar stretching do exist.

In my opinion, FUE is typically better for patients who won't ever require more than a couple thousand grafts. Because FUE also places extra forces on the already fragile follicular units during hair restoration surgery, it must be done slowly, carefully, and meticulously. Most reputable hair transplant physicians will still tell you that today on the average, that hair growth yield with follicular unit extraction is far less consistent than strip.

With the above in mind, in addition to the failures I've seen, I've seen some beautiful, natural looking results with FUE. But to this day, the most impressive hair restoration transformations are coming from state of the art FUT/strip procedures. FUE in my opinion, while its a viable option for some, still has a long way to go.

Best wishes,

Bill

One other note...

Keep in mind that anyone could produce a promotional strip video showing exceptional results with minimal scarring while presenting several cases of poor yield and terrible FUE scarring.

My advice: read and view everything with a critical and skeptical eye. Since nothing is without fault, always read about the cons and not just the pros whether it be regarding a hair transplant procedure or something else.

Best wishes,

Bill