Dr. Panagotacos...

Well, I lived in the bay area for the last couple years and saw his TV ads. I can only offer that the advertisements were enough to scare me away from even considering him. The work looked so bad. I can only imagine what these poor guys looked like up close.

• 1 month later...

Hi-

I have been to Dr. Panagotacos (or as my husband calls him, Dr. Banana taco).

I did research on the internet and couldn't find patient reviews. He does have a website and a Q&A forum from patients. I went to see him for a transplant eval. Here is my impression:

He is very knowledgeable with the endocrinological causes of hair loss, even FPHL. His medical knowlege of things unrelated to hair loss impressed me. He understood things 10 years of doctors didn't.

He has really cool bottles of monoxidil solutions he sells. They have cool sponge applicators, and the stuff makes your hair less matted because it's not greasy like straight monoxidil. He has different formulations with prescription additives for your personal situation. It's not overpriced. I think he also has a cool auto-delivery system for the guys on propecia. He's written a good book which he gave me for free. I'm sure his website explains some of this.

When I went to see him, a transplant was being done. I could see the top of the guys head right from the waiting room. The doctor came into my patient room during that guy's transplant. When I was leaving, I could see a med tech working on the patient's head while the doctor was talking with me and his front office staff. the patient's head was pretty red. I could see this from across the office because the door was open. I'm not sure if the tech was inserting hairs or dabbing or something, but she did work on him for a while by herself with the door open.

He was upfront with me on the negative possibilities of shock-loss etc. Didn't want to waste my $ on surgery not needed or that might not have a great result. I appreciated that I would probably go see him in the future for advice or follow-up if he agreed to see me.

But...

I would never have a transplant with him.

Why?

Because of his bedside manner. IMHO he was cocky and arrogant. He was very impatient and condescending toward me and his office staff (girls) both times I was there. He was very abrupt with his comments and orders about what I needed to do. He didn't explain the reasons for his orders, as if I did't need to know. It seemed like I was inconveniencing him when I pushed to hear his line of reasoning. I just wanted to know we were on the same page and where he was headed. I won't give a detailed synopsis, but I have a hunch that a man might have better luck communicating with him(: It would be interesting to see.

I would not risk such a serious surgery by a doctor with whom I couldn't communicate freely and feel some degree of control over my surgery situation. Too big of a deal. Too much money. Finite amount of donor hair. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Hope this helps,

LAXLOX

I was thinking that maybe the door was open to keep an eye on his tech etc. I guess it would be nice to have a different set-up for more privacy. But probably the most important thing is his skill. I think his website said something about him doing training in Greece recently.

Dr. Panagotacos's book is entitled http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1932428348/ref=sib_rdr_zmin/104-0562728-8644736?p=S001&j=1#reader-page.

I have read most of it and it is a pretty good read. I recommend it for anyone that wants to expnd their knowledge on hair loss, the history of hair loss treatments, and in which direction the industry is going.

Some other good reads:

"The Hair Replacement Revolution"

0757000045.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

by James Harris, MD and Emanuel Marrit, MD.

"Bald No More"

1575663082.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

by Dr. Morton Walker

As far as the open-viewing in Dr. Panagotacos's office, was there a blind present? Form what I am thinking, he may first ask the patient if he/she minds if the surgery can be shown to potential patients in the waiting area. If the patient does not object, then he leaves it open. If the patient does, he may close it.

This is speculation, as I have never been to his clinic, but I imagine that if a patient objected to the procedure being shown that the physician would likely accomodate his wishes.

On the other hand, the idea is quite ingenious. Many physicians will allow a potential patient to view a procedure being performed during the consultation. This means, of course, that the potential patient has to walk into the OR and the techs have to rearrange themselves accordingly. Thus, if a patient is willing to have his procedure shown to potential patients that are in the waiting room, this can alleviate disturbing the techs and/or the physician performing the procedure.

This is purely speculation, however, and that is why I asked if there was a blind or curtains present near the window. Perhaps he draws these closed if the patient objects showing off his/ her procedure being performed.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

To my understanding, no one outside the surgical team is allowed in the OR room according to federal OSHA regulations. Does that mean it never takes place? No. I have witnessed spouses, significant others, even friends allowed in the OR to view, offer moral support by their presence, etc. It is understandable but probably not very prudent. In some instances, the non patients were not even capped or gowned! I even heard of pizza being delivered to the OR. What next.

I think the best way to convey live surgery viewing is by window view with the patient's authorization of course. That way it allows for a more sterile environment in the OR. Some clinics video tape the authorized procedure for latter viewing.

What really concerns me is the commentary on the doctor's temperament and disposition! This is an entirely different yet paramount issue altogethor and something we rarely hear about nor incorporate in our qualifying criteria when choosing the physician who is supposed to have our best interest at heart. I wonder if a surgeon with a bad disposition or unpredictable temperament has any impact on the potential quality of the procedure? If the surgical staff(s) are "walking on eggshells", might that affect graft placement, focus, dissection of tissue, counting, etc, etc? YOU BET IT CAN!

I hear this type of feedback too often and even one instance is one too many. Hairloss is a "very personal and sensitive" issue for any hairloss sufferer. Thank goodness there are some good HT surgeons today who have good ethics and empathy for their patients. Those are indisposable character attributes which all of us should demand in our clinicians or it's best to go elsewhere REGARDLESS of their academic backgrounds and clinical achievements. Possibly an entire new thread should be posted encouraging attention to this part of the qualifying criteria. Best wishes to you Laxlox as there are some other good doctors to consider and I am sure you will find the right one for you. icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 8 months later...

I had a 1500 graft procedure done by Dr. Panagotacos in October of 2004. Reading Laxlox's summary of her experience with him is right on the money. He is a very ill mannered and quick tempered man. His approach is condescending and curt. His knowledge of hair loss and treatment is seemingly quite vast, but he is an absolutely impolite and uncompassionate man. The door was left wide open during the entirety of my procedure, as far as I recall, and his manners when dealing with his staff were truly reprehensible. He would shout, curse, and demand things from what was likely a shell-shocked staff. I was semi-conscious of course and this was STILL my take away. A few days after the procedure I called the office to inquire about any innovative ways to get all of the petroleum based antibiotic out of my hair as I could not get it out under any circumstances. When I heard the receptionist ask the doctor, I literally heard him curse, grab the phone from her and actually say to me, "WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM HERE?!!". He actually shouted at me. I'm not kidding. He then went on to tell me to wash my hair with "HOT WATER AND HAND SOAP IF YOU HAVE TO!". I couldn't believe it. I was dumbfounded. I had just paid this SOB $10,000 and here he is shouting at me for asking a question.

OK, so this is likely enough to turn 99% of potential clients away.

As far as his work goes, he actually did a very good job. Most of the grafts have taken and the result is natural. I do however want another procedure to fill in some density"???but overall the procedure was painless and I had virtually no infection or swelling. The real kicker is that the scar is nearly undetectable. It's amazing how small it is. I have trouble finding it myself.

So, as far as bitter sweet is concerned, if you live in the Bay Area and have thick skin "??? I would recommend this bastard based on his skill and experience alone"???and of course, on my own recommendation. Be prepared for his attitude however, and don't expect him to answer many questions gleefully. He is also expensive at $7 a graft.

If anyone has any of their own thoughts regarding Dr. Panagotacos, they're appreciated . . . thanks

firekid,

Thanks for the interesting synopsis of your experience. With all said and done, I am glad to hear that you got a good result. You should be about seven months out and getting some good growth by now. Welcome to the forums. I hope you stay around and share your experiences and knowledge with the rest of the forum members for a while to come.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to hair transplant doctors in Los Angeles and had some done three years ago. i was unhappy with the results. I heard Dr. Panagotacos had an excellent reputaion and flew up to see him two years ago. That was the best move of my life. He straightend me out as to what products work and which do not. He was very pro Propecia and sold it for less than he bought it from Merck. This to me is a man who cares about giving the patient all the information possible and trying to get them to see the scientific logic of his advice. I couldn't believe the comments I saw on your site. The first comment was form someone who saw the patients on TV. I saw that ad and the patients looked prety good to me. He even had some in progress, showing the stages of the growth. Your next was a female commenting on how knowledgeble he was and cleared up misconceptions she had from 10 other doctors. She thought his compounded formulations were "cool" apparently because they would have cost her 5 times as much to have them compounded by her pharmacist. Moreover they work. She was given a free book to read Hair Loss Answers" and it sounds as if she was too busy to read it.

I could not get an appointment to see him in the morning becasue he has that time reserved for his tranplant patient, and oly does one a day. If he left the surgery room to see this woman for her consult and she could see he was doing surgery and trying to get back wouldn't a normal person listen attentively and take notes to read later so he could go bacd to the surgery. It sounds to emas if this woman thinks tne world revolves around her. She says she would never have a transplant done by him. She is probably doing him a favor.

I found him to be a very empathetic docotor and one woman came in during one of my fllow up visits with tears in her eyes in front of the entire waiting room telling him how much she owed to ehim for resotring her appearance and self confidence.

During my surgery the doctor would step out to check a follow up surgical patient and would return within a few minutes. It is standard paractice for assistants to do most of the placing of the grafts and if the few others who worote in find that they were seeing the assitants cleaning up and finishing off the tail end of a procedure let me assure you Dr.Panagotacos was there with me for the entire surgery all of which he did himself.

The only rational voice in this whole blog is that of Robert who points out the doctors primary responsibility is to his patient on the table and he wanted to be in touch. if an assistant should need him. And lastly the guy who complained he paid $7 per graft should ask Dr Walter Unger or Dr Rassman what they charge. Rassman jsut sent out a notice that his fees if he does them are $10/graft. This same complainer states he can not find the scar, the work was great but the doctor raised his voice when he was tld apparently for the umpteeth time to wash the antibiotic oinment out with shampoo and if that didn't do it to use dial soap. In a busy pricatice without salesmen to hold your hand you will have to get the info from the doctor who many not have the patience to deal with neurotic patients. I have sent family and friends to him and all have been pleased. Last year a group of his patients gave him a surprise party jsut out of contiued gratitide.

• 1 year later...

I have to agree with Firekid! He is right on the money.

I also was a patient of Dr. P. and will confirm that the man has not patience! He is curt and quick tempered! He is extremely rude to his staff.

Although my results were good I do question the way he handles the procedure. Most of the work was done by his assistants, even the placing of the grafts! For much of the procedure he was out of the room performing other procedures! There has to be better doctors out there. I won't go to him again!

• 1 year later...

At my initial consultation my wife and myself found Dr. P rude and arrogant but I wasn't there to make a new friend. Even when calling I have found the staff to be quite rude as well. I understand they are busy but most businesses I deal with are busy and cordial at the same time. I had heard good things about his abilities. We decided to go with him because of his skills. I needed some work to correct a previous surgery that wasn't the greatest. You get what you pay for so price was not an issue, results were. The day of my surgery was different. The staff and Dr.P were like different people. Very nice and I even started to get his sense of humor. The most important thing was the results. Great work, would definitely go back. One piece of advice is to do your research on different doctors first and if you feel Dr. P is the right doctor for the job don't take his personality personally.