Post-HT Hat Dilemma

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm 7 days out from a HT procedure with Dr. Hasson . . . and I'd love to get some advice on hats or other head coverings to wear around town this week.

I actually bought a do-rag to wear on the flight back from Vancouver the day after surgery, and while it had the advantage of allowing pretty good airflow to the head (and minimal pressure on the scalp), I just don't feel comfortable wearing a do-rag around people I actually know here in town. (I'm a 46-year-old university guy, and I just can't pull that one off.)

I bought a couple great new ballcaps before the HT (and have some old trusty caps that I've worn for years), but I've been afraid to wear any of them this week, as it looks like they'll all put a bit of pressure on the recipient grafts - especially in the temple area - whenever I put them on or take them off. Does it seem wise to hold off on any sort of reasonably decent fitting cap for the time being, or am I being over-cautious?

Just for backup, I also have a cap that's at least one size too large (it's 7-5/8 and I'm between a 7-3/8 to 7-1/2), but it looks almost comically dorky - like it's about to slip down over my ears! I'd rather not look like a doofus for the next week, but I'd still prefer that to the thought of damaging any recipient grafts.

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Sparse

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm 7 days out from a HT procedure with Dr. Hasson . . . and I'd love to get some advice on hats or other head coverings to wear around town this week.

I actually bought a do-rag to wear on the flight back from Vancouver the day after surgery, and while it had the advantage of allowing pretty good airflow to the head (and minimal pressure on the scalp), I just don't feel comfortable wearing a do-rag around people I actually know here in town. (I'm a 46-year-old university guy, and I just can't pull that one off.)

I bought a couple great new ballcaps before the HT (and have some old trusty caps that I've worn for years), but I've been afraid to wear any of them this week, as it looks like they'll all put a bit of pressure on the recipient grafts - especially in the temple area - whenever I put them on or take them off. Does it seem wise to hold off on any sort of reasonably decent fitting cap for the time being, or am I being over-cautious?

Just for backup, I also have a cap that's at least one size too large (it's 7-5/8 and I'm between a 7-3/8 to 7-1/2), but it looks almost comically dorky - like it's about to slip down over my ears! I'd rather not look like a doofus for the next week, but I'd still prefer that to the thought of damaging any recipient grafts.

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Sparse

The best advice is to stay out of public for about ten days or so. I guess that's not really an option though, or you would not have the dilema. Anyway, after about ten days you can wear the normal fitting caps.

Stimpy

As long as it has been a few days and all the scabs are dry, you should be safe to wear a baseball hat. Make sure that you adjust it to a larger size and do not drag the hat down or up along the hairline. Put the front of the cap on first when putting hat on and hold the front steady while taking the back of the hat off first when taking hat off. The opposite of how you would normally put on and take off a hat.

I also had a HT last week and tried out a couple of options.

I think the best is the bucket/fishermans hat and its the one i wear the most right now.

They're light and loose fitting was perfect to walk around in. Also covers the donor scar pretty well.

Sparse,

Personally, I don't usually wear a snug fitting baseball cap including fitted caps for the first 10 days. However, I see nothing wrong with people wearing them at 7 days as long as they take them on and off carefully. Dr. Charles gave you some excellent specific advice on how to do this.

Have fun sporting a new fancy hat around town knowing that in the near future, you'll be able to wield a nice head of hair instead :-)

All the Best,

Bill