Opinion regarding scar

I am almost 3 weeks post-op. I haven't returned to work yet, but I must return next week. I am not happy with the way the scar looks. I am sure my doc did the best he could, but I'm not happy with the way my hair was cut in the donor area.

The back looks great. You cannot tell there was anything done there, but the sides look bad. It is very noticable. It makes me wish I hadn't taken 3 weeks off work and would have just faced the music then and saved my vacation time.

Ironically enough, pre-operation, I was so concerned with how the top would look, and hadn't given a thought to the donor area/scar since I went to such a reputable surgeon. I didn't let him shave the area, so my existing hair (though sparse) covers the graft area just fine.

I would love to hear your opinions about the sides. I was considering having a haircut (just to clean up the area on the sides) and hopefully blend it a little better. Not sure if that would hurt or help??

On a side note, I had around 2500 grafts done and have not noticed any shedding at all. Is this typical? The local doctor who removed the stitches at 14 days post-op said it looks great, and that I may just not lose much. I thought I'd read somewhere that they shed by 3-4 weeks?

Thanks for your input.

17postopcropped.jpg

17_days_post_sx.jpg.6c5f6936a9ea2267050ed472abd45c22.jpg

I am almost 3 weeks post-op. I haven't returned to work yet, but I must return next week. I am not happy with the way the scar looks. I am sure my doc did the best he could, but I'm not happy with the way my hair was cut in the donor area.

The back looks great. You cannot tell there was anything done there, but the sides look bad. It is very noticable. It makes me wish I hadn't taken 3 weeks off work and would have just faced the music then and saved my vacation time.

Ironically enough, pre-operation, I was so concerned with how the top would look, and hadn't given a thought to the donor area/scar since I went to such a reputable surgeon. I didn't let him shave the area, so my existing hair (though sparse) covers the graft area just fine.

I would love to hear your opinions about the sides. I was considering having a haircut (just to clean up the area on the sides) and hopefully blend it a little better. Not sure if that would hurt or help??

On a side note, I had around 2500 grafts done and have not noticed any shedding at all. Is this typical? The local doctor who removed the stitches at 14 days post-op said it looks great, and that I may just not lose much. I thought I'd read somewhere that they shed by 3-4 weeks?

Thanks for your input.

17postopcropped.jpg

well, shockloss in the donor area is hard to avoid. From my understanding, using trico closure and double stitches increase this risk.

I am a month post op and i am just like you - very noticeable on the sides, hardly visible on the back.

as for the shedding, i experienced mine at day 13.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you guys at the 1.5 month mark but my shock loss looks the same as it did and from what I've read it will be around the 3 month mark before the native hair grows back. (Although it varies from person to person.)

Have you tried Dermmatch? I found it made things look a lot more normal, and no-one said anything when I saw people who didn't know. Not saying it is perfect, but it might help.

I think that looks fairly normal, and maybe you should purchase some Dermmatch to cover it for a few weeks.

Also, I think you'd be suprised at how people won't notice that. But, try the Dermmatch.

My scar really faded about month 5, and now at month 9 I doubt any of you could find it.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

It should grow back. Mine never did and the hair loss extended the whole length of a minor 200 graft strip above and below scar. Second sheeding happened 7 months post op by the way. Good luck.

Hi Knox,

I Hope all went well with your return back to work. From the picture it looks like you have definitely experienced some shock loss on the sides. It also looks like you may have average or less than average donor density and thinner hair which makes the scarring stand out a little more in the beginning. If you're looking to keep things concealed I honestly don't thing getting a shorter cut will be the way to go. Look into applying some Toppik or Dermatch to conceal the areas of concern. These can work wonders for you.

I just had a second HT of about 2500 on 11/19 (ok not really second but I don't like to count the 600 graft bosley HT's from 10 years ago) and have had some shockloss in at the ends of the donar area on the side (one side more than the other. Although it might be nice to have not really cared if anyone knew I decided early on to take the approach of keeping this skeleton in the closet to myself only (ok Dr. Alexander and staff as well :-). I also didn't have the luxury of taking of alot of time off work since I own my own business and can't be away for long and I also can't wear a hat to the office. Because of this my needs required that shaving down was not an option. In each case I had the procedure on a Wed and was back to the office on a Monday. Having existing hair to conceal the recipient area and long enough thick dark hair in the donor area to conceal the scar we definitely key here.

Try the concealers and I definitely think you'll go unoticed. If anybody does say something just tell them you tried giving yourself a haircut and kinda screwed up a little. If you didn't tell anyone at the office you were having this done they won't have a clue. Unless of course they're HLN members and have used this site to know all icon_biggrin.gif.

Happy growing to you!

hi knox,

i hear what u r saying, this is very common about the scar area. i would say do NOT cut any hair around the sides, this will definately make things worse.

not sure why the doc or his rep did not advise growing ur hair as long a possible before the HT. this would have helped conceal any shock loss etc...

but i think like a few have said, try using some kind of hair dye. people do not really stare and check out your hair to be honest, once u have colored it, it will be ok.

finally, u will b amazed how quick the hair grows back in the scar region and conceals any scar/shock loss....so hang in the buddy :-)

FS

Hard to tell the size of your scar on the side with your pics but it looks like its just shock loss surrounding the scar which thins out the area-- this should grow back.

Now if it is the actual scar this wide, some surgeons do scar revision, especaily if it is keloid or bad.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Rogaine xra-Propecia

MSM/Zinc/Saw Pallmetto

Enlyten anti-oxidant daily