MSM? Any information?

Hey guys,

Lately have heard quite a few patients mention MSM in their meds. Basically, I would welcome your information, experience's and advice regarding this product.

As I understand, it assists in the hair growth rate (your hair will grow quicker), along with other things such as nails (not a particular interest to myself). Obviously, I can therefore see the positives for HT patients after their surgery, to assist growth speed. Does it assist in the thickening or healthiness of hair? Therefore, the question I ask. Is there any point in using MSM pre HT? Does anybody do so, and if so, why? If used with Propecia and Minoxidil, is there a possibility in seeing the results of Propecia and Minoxidil, sooner?

Also, what form(s) is it available in? What is the purchase process (over the counter(which stores), internet, prescription etc..)

Plus any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao Ciao.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hey guys,

Lately have heard quite a few patients mention MSM in their meds. Basically, I would welcome your information, experience's and advice regarding this product.

As I understand, it assists in the hair growth rate (your hair will grow quicker), along with other things such as nails (not a particular interest to myself). Obviously, I can therefore see the positives for HT patients after their surgery, to assist growth speed. Does it assist in the thickening or healthiness of hair? Therefore, the question I ask. Is there any point in using MSM pre HT? Does anybody do so, and if so, why? If used with Propecia and Minoxidil, is there a possibility in seeing the results of Propecia and Minoxidil, sooner?

Also, what form(s) is it available in? What is the purchase process (over the counter(which stores), internet, prescription etc..)

Plus any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao Ciao.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

msm is a sulfur supplement known to help with joint health among other things. it may speed hair growth but there's no concrete evidence it does so. also, if it does help speed growth it will only effect the native hair, not the tranplanted hair. you can get it through any vitamin shop over the counter.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I have been taking MSM for about 3 month, 2 month pre-op and 1 month post.

I don't believe it will make transplanted hair come in any quicker.

I'm not to sure if it has made my hair grow fast as I have not cut it in 2 month lol, however, I am in no doubt that it has made my nails grow quicker. (If it makes your nails grow fast it stands to reason that it has the same affect on your hair)

I read that MSM does not affect the hair thickness, you may want to look into Silica which is believed to help in this area.

I began taking it for joints and to promote healthy hair, skin, and nails. The MSM I buy also has Glucosamine which helps specifically with joints.

I initially began using MSM/with Glucosamine to help with my joints when working out. And the benefits seem to work on that end of the spectrum as I don't seem to be getting the tendonitis I used to. If I also get the benefits of faster growing native hair and nails, then great.

It is over the counter. If you are in the states you can buy it at any grocery store, pharmacy, discount store. Target and Walmart are great options. I buy mine at Costco, which is similar to Sams Club--I found it to be the cheapest at these two places and more of a trusted source than the internet.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Are there any scientific studies out there regarding MSM? Sounds like snake oil to me.

Oh BTW, glucosamine does not work. No scientific study had demonstrated any benefit, and lately there was one study (i forgot by who) that concludes that it does ABSOLUTELY nothing to the joints. If it works for you, then so much the better, but it is probably the placebo effect.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Maxxy:

I am a bit skeptical about the findings. Measuring hair growth is already an extremely difficult exercise, let alone measuring the INCREASE RATE of hair growth due to MSM. On top of that, 100% of patients got that better result. Which in itself is a red flag.

Anyway, as long as MSM does not affect negatively your health or the result of your HT, why not try. Personally, I tend to stay away from these things.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley