Long Term Eye Puffiness

MichiganMan

I had a second transplant 4 1/2 weeks ago, and I still have much puffiness under the eyes, and some fluid over my left eye. My face also seems a little more round. I have been trying to sleep upright, ice the eyes multiple times per day, but it continues. It is worse in the morning, especially if I sleep on my stomach. I assume that in this position, gravity is taking more fluid into my eyes. I know that cortizone was used along with the anesthetic injected into my scalp. I also took prednisone (more steroid) after the procedure. I have done this in both my transplants, although I had much more severe swelling the first time because I took the prednisone too late, yet I had no lasting effects from the first transplant. Has anyone else experienced this eye puffiness well after the procedure? If yes, did it eventually go away? Was there something you did to help this problem?

I had a second transplant 4 1/2 weeks ago, and I still have much puffiness under the eyes, and some fluid over my left eye. My face also seems a little more round. I have been trying to sleep upright, ice the eyes multiple times per day, but it continues. It is worse in the morning, especially if I sleep on my stomach. I assume that in this position, gravity is taking more fluid into my eyes. I know that cortizone was used along with the anesthetic injected into my scalp. I also took prednisone (more steroid) after the procedure. I have done this in both my transplants, although I had much more severe swelling the first time because I took the prednisone too late, yet I had no lasting effects from the first transplant. Has anyone else experienced this eye puffiness well after the procedure? If yes, did it eventually go away? Was there something you did to help this problem?

My puffiness started about 5 days post-op, but only lasted a week. My Doc injected something to puffup the scalp for his work, as well as the anaesthetic - I've no idea if it was what you've mentioned. I think you'd be advised to get back to your surgeon over this; he's probably got previous experience of it in his patients, and would be able to advise you. Sorry I can't help; sounds pretty unpleasant, just when you're expecting things to settle down after the HT trauma itself...... icon_frown.gif

Michiganman,

My guess and only a guess is that you are having an acute response to the steroids used and steroids from what I have learned do have a longer residual effect in the body.

Saline solutions are often utilized in the injections to create the lift needed and it is the effects of gravity post-op that "pulls" the fluid downward into the facial tissue and eyes. Although you did not have this affect from your first procedure, possibly the one you just had employed higher levels of the steroid. Again I am only guessing. Most doctors I have discussed this issue with state that the typical post-op experience is approximately three days of swelling once it onsets. It should begin to dissipate after that time and as always there are exceptions.

I have never heard of of acute swelling that lingered for over a month. I want to encourage you to even go to your PCP for an opnion and/or post your questions on the doctor-to-patient segment of this forum. Let us know how things turn out.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

the acute swelling did only last a few days, as was the case the first time. It is only in the eye area that it continues -- and possibly a little rounding in the face. Maybe your theory about acute reaction to steroids has some validity. I have also read that steroids cause fat to be circulated and redistributed, but I have no idea how much it would normally take to do this. Maybe some fat has accumulated in my eyes. Maybe the drainage off my head brought fat cells down with it. I have also seen that steroids can cause puffiness and water/sodium retention. I am totally speculating, but I have posted this on the doctor's list, and have not had a response. I have seen a plastic surgeon, but he was of no help. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow. If I learn anything of value, I will certainly post it. I appreciate your input.