Terminology

The below is something Joe Tillman (JoTronic) posted from Hasson and Wong in the past, but I thought it would be beneficial to re-post it.

------------------

Common Abbreviations and Definitions posted by Joe Tillman

#1 cut, #2 cut etc.

This refers to the length of hair after a buzz cut with clippers.

' #0 (no attachment) - 1/100 inch,

' #1 - 1/8 inch

' #2 - 1/4 inch

' #3 - 3/8 inch

' #4 - 1/2 inch

' #5 and #6 - special tapering attachments

' #7 - 7/8 inch

' #8 - 1 inch

Body Hair Transplant (BHT): This refers to transplanting body hair (legs, chest, back, etc.) to the hair in hopes of growth. Currently, this practice is extremely limited and should only be used as a very last resort.

Coalition Doctors: List of hair transplant surgeons that meet pre-determined criteria relating to quality of work and overall value to the patient.

Concealers: Products that when applied to hair or scalp give the impression of more hair than is actually present. These include, but are not limited to, Toppik, Couvre, Dermatch and others. The limitations of such products is basically water of some sort (rain, swimming, sweat) which can cause at least one of the products to 'run' or smear.

Dense Packing: Variable according to each clinic's abilities but generally is considered to be the ability to place follicular units at greater than 40 grafts per cm2 into bald or balding scalp.

DHT: Dihydrotestosterone. The by-product when alpha 5 reductase enzymes (type I and type II) interact with testosterone. This is the cause for general male pattern baldness. DHT is also the culprit responsible for benign prostate hyperplasia (enlarged prostate).

Diffuse thinner: Thinning of hair in a region of scalp that is more dispersed with less of a demarcation between thinning and non-thinning hair.

Finasteride: Active ingredient in Proscar and Propecia.

Proscar: Originally came on the market in 1992 to treat symptomatic BPH, (enlarged Prostate), and to improve urinary flow and symptoms associated with the condition, Proscar has been prescribed to more than 1.2 million men in over 100 countries.

Propecia: Propecia was first given FDA approval in the United States in 1997 and is a 1mg version of Proscar. The only difference is the dosage and the name.

Dutasteride: Dutasteride is a newer drug intended for the same purpose as Proscar. Being a completely different medication Dutasteride targets both enzymes that convert testosterone in DHT whereas Finasteride targets only one. Currently having been available for four years there are no long term studies to show potential for side effects. Dutasteride is also known by it's market name of Avodart.

FU: Follicular Unit. The natural grouping of hair in the scalp with one to five hairs.

FUE vs. Strip: FUE is the process in which a tiny punch, usually .7mm to 1.2mm, is used to harvest individual follicular units for transplantation into the scalp. Contrary to initial reports it does leave scarring that can prevent head shaving, which was the main selling point.

FUT: Follicular Unit Transplantation. This is the general vernacular referring to strip transplantation.

Graft: Reference for dissected hair bearing tissue being transplanted. The general nature of the term refers to only the context of the discussion that it is in as grafts can be used to describe plugs, mini-micros, or follicular units.

H&W: Hasson & Wong. Hair transplant clinic started by Dr. Victor Hasson & Jerry Wong in 1997 in Vancouver, BC Canada with satellite consultation offices in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon. Originators of the Lateral Slit Technique.

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion

IMO: In My Opinion

Megasession: Dependent upon which clinic you speak to but generally above 2500 grafts transplanted in a single session.

MPB: Male Pattern Baldness

Norwood (NW) scale: This is a hair loss classification scale introduced by Dr. O'tar Norwood in 1975 and is the standard by which all doctors measure and classify hair loss in men.

Rogaine/Minoxinal: First came on the market with FDA approval in 1988 with a 2% stength of Minoxidil,(active ingredient) by prescriptoin only. 5% was approved by the FDA in 1996 for over the counter, non prescription use. While many men and women use this medication it is described as being cause for conditions such as red scalp, inflammation of the scalp, itchiness and flakiness not to mention inconvenient as it must be applied twice daily with a greasy after effect on the hair. Currenlty, there is a foam version that is similar to hair mouse with mixed reviews.

Shockloss: Defined as loss of hair subsequent to a hair transplant procedure. This can be permanent, caused from damage to surrounding hair due to intrusive hair transplant surgery and/or techniques. It can also be temporary as a result of an interruption if blood flow to the follicles.

Ultra Refined HT: Hair transplant performed with microscopes to dissect excess tissue away from separated follicular units and implanted with the smallest incision possible for the resulting 'grafts'.

Widows peak: Obvious 'point' of hair growth usually centered in the frontal hairline. Commonly referred to as a triangle of hair or point of hair that stands out from the frontal hairline.

Hi mgem, if I understand your post correctly, the answers are:

- Kudos: praise/reknown/respect (as in "thanks for the kudos")

- LOL: laughing out loud

My personal favourite is ROFLMAO ("rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off")

See this:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Internet_slang

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website