I think I’m about to give up on my hair

I went from a full head of hair at 23 to barely anything left at 24. Over 10 months, I lost just about everything. Whole experience has been really destabilizing for me personally. I hopped on treatment (5mg oral min; 1mg fin), which got me some regrowth and stabilized things. I’m 27 now. Have been on a the treatment for almost 3 years. 

I knew I’d have a window for a transplant this upcoming September (starting a new job so I have some time off), but I was too overwhelmed by searching for a surgeon. And I let it get the best of me. Now, it seems like the ones I’m most interested in, I’m just too late and they’re booked. I can’t go to turkey - I just don’t trust a lot of the information I see about it for one (or, I don’t know what information to trust), but second foreign travel won’t work for me with my new job (government). The US options for me (I think I need 3k-ish grafts for a good look), I just can’t find anything. Idk what to do man. I’m on the brink of stopping treatment just because I won’t get another window for a transplant. I feel I’ve just finally lost the battle. Sick of buzzing my head and getting by with fibers

Don’t lose hope mate. This forum is full of stories that start low and end on high! 
You mentioned, you went from full head of hair to barely anything in the matter of 10 months. Did you go to a dermatologist to get it checked if you have any specific condition/skin issue?

Could you provide some additional information in terms of what’s the NW scale? Any photos to show the current scenario?

Don’t rush into anything. You don’t want to get it done from someone only based in your availability. Good doctors are booked well in advance and if you do find someone that have availability with short notice, I would question their skills. You certainly don’t want to regret in future and kick yourself for limiting your choices based on constraints that could have been worked out. 

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

• Moderators

Hair loss can be depressing, especially if you are losing it quickly, but there are a lot of options these days. Are you willing to post some pictures? That would give us a better idea of your situation and maybe be able to give you advice on what to try or where to go. You can block out your face. For example, if you still have enough hair you may be able to get away with only taking a 2 week vacation to have a hair transplant and then going back to work after the scabs come off and maybe being able to cover the area with existing hair, but without pictures we don't know what your situation is.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of my situation. I did go to a dermatologist who did blood work and everything. She said it was a mix of MPB with TE, due to recent stressors at the time. The medication helped stabilized things.  I’m not trying to get my hairline extended or crown worked on necessarily. I just want my confidence and 20s back

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3789.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mswtor said:

Here are some photos of my situation. I did go to a dermatologist who did blood work and everything. She said it was a mix of MPB with TE, due to recent stressors at the time. The medication helped stabilized things.  I’m not trying to get my hairline extended or crown worked on necessarily. I just want my confidence and 20s back

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3789.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

Don't give up, you are a diffuse NW5 heading towards NW6 but with medication your hairloss will start to stabilise (and perhaps even regrow if you are fortunate). In any case you have a great donor area and I don't see why you will not achieve a full restoration if you were to go for a hair transplant at some point down the line.

• Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created