Hero institute. Bogota - 3400 grafts

I visited Hero Institute in Bogota, Colombia, where Dr. Caballero performed my surgery. Since there weren't any reviews of this clinic in this forum, I was curious if anyone had heard about them before. Initially, I sent pictures with longer hair and was advised I'd need around 3,000 grafts to cover both crown and front. However, upon meeting Dr. Caballero in person, we agreed on 3,400 grafts. While my main concern was the front, the front and mid sections were also thinning and becoming patchy. I wasn't asked about how I wanted my grafts distributed, which I now think would have been helpful as I would have added some to the mid scalp area. Nevertheless, what's done is done. For context, I've been using topical minoxidil for about 4 years but never tried finasteride. My alopecia started slowly about 8 years ago, and I'm currently 37. I started taking finasteride 1mg daily right after the surgery, as encouraged by Dr. Caballero to improve the mid scalp area along with minoxidil.

The procedure was divided into two days, with 1,700 grafts implanted each day (extractions from left side/ implants on front on day 1), taking about 8 hours each time, including preparation and lunch breaks. The numbing injections were painful, as expected, but some areas, like the hairline and a small portion of crown, were a bit more uncomfortable. However, Dr. Caballero promptly addressed this by adding extra anesthesia. There were also parts of the procedure that were painless, which was a relief.

Overall, I think the entire process went well. Everyone at the clinic was very friendly and ensured I was comfortable. Dr. Caballero handled all the extractions and about 80% of the implants, with assistance from three nurses each day. She was also readily available to answer any questions I had. Without the extensive research I did beforehand, I would have felt more uncertain. The rest of the staff was also very helpful and responded quickly via WhatsApp to any questions or concerns I had. I'm now on day 6 after the first session and will be sharing updates as they happen. Feel free to ask any questions or share comments.

Pic 1 - 3 weeks before procedure 
Pic 2 - 2 weeks before procedure (low haircut)
Pic 3/4 - day 1 of procedure 
Pic 5/6/7 - day 2 of procedure

IMG_2132.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

• Like 1

I think you should be washing them scabs out by now. I was told day 7 and it seems to around the normal time people do it. Look into it but it's looking good nice hairline design. 

• Moderators

Thank you for posting about your experience so far. Crowns can take a lot more grafts than you'd think. I see the arrows on the crown, so they obviously spent some time trying to make sure they followed the existing hair pattern. That's a good sign.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.