Pregnancy and alternatives

Yabala

Questions. 1- A man who wants to conceive doesn't have to stop finasteride right ? 2- And if he does it'll will only be for the first three months of pregnancy ? 3- If a man stops finasteride for all the pregnancy, what drug/alternative can he still use in order not to lose ground ?

• Valued Contributor

Minoxidil. And (I'm not a doctor) I would see a dermatologist and opt for oral minoxidil starting at a low dose. I would cease the finasteride if you are planning on having a baby a good three months before hand. To date their is actually no known teratogen as a result of being on finasteride. But could you imagine how you would feel if your baby was born with a deformity or disability regardless? All the best.

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Minoxidil. And (I'm not a doctor) I would see a dermatologist and opt for oral minoxidil starting at a low dose. I would cease the finasteride if you are planning on having a baby a good three months before hand. To date their is actually no known teratogen as a result of being on finasteride. But could you imagine how you would feel if your baby was born with a deformity or disability regardless? All the best.

When you wrote a good three months before hand you mean stopping finasteride for the first three months of pregnancy ?

no he means before you try to conceive, stop finasteride. it has a short half life in your body so do some research and decide what the best time period of stopping is for you. once your partner is pregnant you can then think about starting it again, youll just have to be very careful to make sure they don't come into contact with the drug (physically with the pill or via your body someway)

thats just my opinion, the research on this is limited so just find out what you can and then decide

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vsma said:

no he means before you try to conceive, stop finasteride. it has a short half life in your body so do some research and decide what the best time period of stopping is for you. once your partner is pregnant you can then think about starting it again, youll just have to be very careful to make sure they don't come into contact with the drug (physically with the pill or via your body someway)

thats just my opinion, the research on this is limited so just find out what you can and then decide

Yes l have to figure out what is best.. Some questions remain 😐