Assisting Removal of Grafts? 2 month post HT

I’ve read that the general timeline for shedding grafts post-transplant generally last a few weeks. I am approaching my 2nd month and after reaching out to the doctor he stated that the grafts should be shed by the first month.

He instructed that a gently grasp and assist the grafts with removal to prevent inflammation. Is this recommended? I’m slightly concerned that this would inhibit growth or is indicative of the grafts not growing.

While it is too early to tell and I would assume most of the grafts are still in the resting phase, would it be better to just let nature run its course and have the grafts push the transplanted hairs out?

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

• Valued Contributor

I’m not sure I fully understand what your doctor is recommending you do, but as far as I’m aware it’s just a waiting game. The hair will shed in the first 4-6 weeks post op and then start to grow back in from 3 months onwards. There’s nothing you can do to alter the speed of that process and I personally wouldn’t be messing around trying. 

Who is your surgeon?

I'd also like to know who the surgeon is.

This sounds like a strange recommendation. Generally, once the scabs have been removed, it's best to let things be.

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 9:15 AM, Berba11 said:

I’m not sure I fully understand what your doctor is recommending you do, but as far as I’m aware it’s just a waiting game. The hair will shed in the first 4-6 weeks post op and then start to grow back in from 3 months onwards. There’s nothing you can do to alter the speed of that process and I personally wouldn’t be messing around trying. 

Who is your surgeon?

On 4/18/2024 at 9:29 AM, gaz9318054 said:

I'd also like to know who the surgeon is.

This sounds like a strange recommendation. Generally, once the scabs have been removed, it's best to let things be.

That was my thinking as well as I have never seen that recommendation on this forum so figured I would ask. Not to second guess the recommendation but wanted to see if anyone had advice or a similar experience.

I still have some of the grafts intact at around 6-7 weeks and I guess the thought is that the new hairs growing below would cause inflammation by pushing on the transplanted hairs, but I would think they would just push them out naturally?

Hoping this isn’t something to be concerned about and I can continue to wait till the 3-4 month mark to see some hairs poking through the scalp.

Picture below for reference

IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.8429df06d5d83c38fbc594dd6bf0db36.jpeg

Edited by Apk0214

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Apk0214 said:

still have some of the grafts intact at around 6-7 weeks and I guess the thought is that the new hairs growing below would cause inflammation by pushing on the transplanted hairs, but I would think they would just push them out naturally?

Still not sure I follow. Some of the grafts never shed, which is normal and a nice little bonus. The ones that did shed will start to emerge in due course. Those that will start to grow out will not impact upon the ones that didn’t shed, and I’ve never heard it be suggested that this could cause inflammation. 

That said, it’s not uncommon for newly transplanted hairs to irritate the scalp to some degree given that ultimately they are a foreign body. But that’s a bridge you cross if & when you come to it. 

5 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Still not sure I follow. Some of the grafts never shed, which is normal and a nice little bonus. The ones that did shed will start to emerge in due course. Those that will start to grow out will not impact upon the ones that didn’t shed, and I’ve never heard it be suggested that this could cause inflammation. 

That said, it’s not uncommon for newly transplanted hairs to irritate the scalp to some degree given that ultimately they are a foreign body. But that’s a bridge you cross if & when you come to it. 

Thanks Berba, that is helpful. The instruction was to “gently grasp the transplanted hairs to see if they come out and if they resist to leave them be” which seemed strange to me.

It sounds like the best course of action is to just let them grow as they are and see what the results are in a few months. Appreciate the help!

• Like 1