Best moment to add dutasteride?

Hi guys, 

I was wondering what would be the best moment to add dutasteride to my fin + minox regimen. The amount of hairs that I shed daily is normal (50-100 maximum), but lately I would say 1/5 of those are slightly miniaturized.  Is this an indicator that finasteride should get some help from the dutasteride to block more DHT? Or is this normal from time to time?

I must note that I don't see any thinning yet, so this would be a precautionary measure. 

Thanks!!

I don't see much of a downside to adding in dutasteride once or twice a week. Most studies show no significant difference between dut and fin side effect incidence but dut works better.

I never took fin, went straight to dut.

There really isnt a definitive answer. There are some people who have slightly higher percentages of their hairs in the dormant or active phase. Most of the time there is a percentage and some people are within or slightly below/above. It is hard to compare one to another (unless you have a twin sibling). For the most part, you can probably guess based on your family history.

But with that being said, to answer you question. You can add dutasteride at any given time, should you receive a prescription from your doctor you can talk to them about the dosages and if you want to split the medication between finasteride.

I personally only take 0.5mg of Dut daily and 5mg of Oral Minox. (i take 2.5mg tablets daily one in the morning and one in the evening to extend the half life) and I havent experienced anything major. 

I will say tho. whenever you take one of the new medications you may experience some symptoms early on but they may subside over time or you get used to it. But make sure you note how you feel and express any concerns with your physician.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

2 hours ago, TakeAction said:

I don't see much of a downside to adding in dutasteride once or twice a week. Most studies show no significant difference between dut and fin side effect incidence but dut works better.

I never took fin, went straight to dut.

Okay. What’s your experience with it?

1 hour ago, Vann said:

There really isnt a definitive answer. There are some people who have slightly higher percentages of their hairs in the dormant or active phase. Most of the time there is a percentage and some people are within or slightly below/above. It is hard to compare one to another (unless you have a twin sibling). For the most part, you can probably guess based on your family history.

But with that being said, to answer you question. You can add dutasteride at any given time, should you receive a prescription from your doctor you can talk to them about the dosages and if you want to split the medication between finasteride.

I personally only take 0.5mg of Dut daily and 5mg of Oral Minox. (i take 2.5mg tablets daily one in the morning and one in the evening to extend the half life) and I havent experienced anything major. 

I will say tho. whenever you take one of the new medications you may experience some symptoms early on but they may subside over time or you get used to it. But make sure you note how you feel and express any concerns with your physician.

Thanks for your detailed answer! Gradually upscaling could be worth a try.

8 minutes ago, Cory said:

Okay. What’s your experience with it?

No side effects, some regrowth but nothing crazy. Hair loss stopped. I take 1.5 mg dutasteride and 5 mg oral minoxidil daily. But you don't need more than 0.5 mg dutasteride.

9 hours ago, TakeAction said:

No side effects, some regrowth but nothing crazy. Hair loss stopped. I take 1.5 mg dutasteride and 5 mg oral minoxidil daily. But you don't need more than 0.5 mg dutasteride.

Glad it works for you man. And above all without sides, bc these seem like high doses :)